Recall Of Pet Foods In Us

Many popular brands of "wet" foods have been recalled in the US after illness & death in pets. Brands include IAMS and Eukanuba (both are sold in Thailand).

Full story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/17/petfood.r...l.ap/index.html

While I know Eukanuba is sold in dry form in Thailand, I haven't seen the wet form, but will check and make sure we don't have it under another name.

Thanks. Good info.

• 1 month later...

Update as of yesterday

Even more products have been recalled download the full list from the fda here:

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fed_state/recalls/Recall.xls

The preliminary reports indicated that the affected foods caused over 16 deaths and may have caused illness in hundreds of others. Menu Food acknowledges receiving complaints of sick pets as early as February 20th. There have been no verified updated numbers but my guess is these numbers are high. Some reports have suggested as many as 3,600 deaths as of April 11th.

They do know that the compound involved is causing kidney failure and it seems to affect cats worse than dogs. The most common signs of kidney failure are: vomiting, not eating, drinking more, urinating more and/or lethargy.

If your pet is eating or was eating one of the recalled foods and is experiencing any symptoms, please call your veterinarian immediately. We recommend testing and treating all affected pets! If caught early, kidney failure can be treated successfully in some pets. For more information read about Kidney Failure in Dogs and Kidney Failure in Cats.

The food recall covers over 130 different brands with many varieties of many of the brands. It affects both canned and dry formulas.

Source: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pet-food-reca...-jon/page1.aspx

Edited by quiksilva

Update as of yesterday

Even more products have been recalled download the full list from the fda here:

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fed_state/recalls/Recall.xls

The preliminary reports indicated that the affected foods caused over 16 deaths and may have caused illness in hundreds of others. Menu Food acknowledges receiving complaints of sick pets as early as February 20th. There have been no verified updated numbers but my guess is these numbers are high. Some reports have suggested as many as 3,600 deaths as of April 11th.

They do know that the compound involved is causing kidney failure and it seems to affect cats worse than dogs. The most common signs of kidney failure are: vomiting, not eating, drinking more, urinating more and/or lethargy.

If your pet is eating or was eating one of the recalled foods and is experiencing any symptoms, please call your veterinarian immediately. We recommend testing and treating all affected pets! If caught early, kidney failure can be treated successfully in some pets. For more information read about Kidney Failure in Dogs and Kidney Failure in Cats.

The food recall covers over 130 different brands with many varieties of many of the brands. It affects both canned and dry formulas.

Source: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pet-food-reca...-jon/page1.aspx

I didn't see any Eukanuba dry dog food which is what my golden devours. If you ever see it added, please urgently PM me. What do you feed your golden puppy?

Thanks,

Actually we are still road testing our maid at the moment, once we are happy with her we'll look more closely at the pup again. Still keen though, but we want to be sure that we have all our ducks lined up at home before we ad a pup to the mix, but it's looking good :o

Had a similar scare in Thailand in 2004 or so with Pedigree dry food.

Maybe best to cook your own. It's easy and cheap if you buy meat from the market.

I remember bringing back "treats" from the west for my Thai dogs: they refused it and looked at me as if to say "where's the beef?"

That canned stuff is just processed crap. Seriously, cook from fresh in the rice cooker or give raw.

Maybe best to cook your own. It's easy and cheap if you buy meat from the market.

I remember bringing back "treats" from the west for my Thai dogs: they refused it and looked at me as if to say "where's the beef?"

That canned stuff is just processed crap. Seriously, cook from fresh in the rice cooker or give raw.

Good advice. Has any one actually heard of a Pet suffering as a result of eating Pet Food of any kind purchased here in Thailand?

Good advice. Has any one actually heard of a Pet suffering as a result of eating Pet Food of any kind purchased here in Thailand?

I see it almost on a daily basis at my boarding kennel. The worst the petfood the worst the more the problems.

I prefer to prepare the food myself. I give raw, but some my scare this of and prefer cooked. When you prepare the food yourself, at least you know what you are giving. Worrying about if the food is in the right balance and complete in its nutrients, is only something that is brainwashed in our minds by the ones who want to sell their products.

100% complete is even not possible as we don't know 100% complete about all existing nutrients. There are still minerals we don't know (enough) about.

And do we worry whether the food we prepare for ourselves (something I never do, I HATE cooking. In this Thailand is paradise and my maid an angel from heaven) is balanced and complete each meal? No, we don't. But we are aware of the fact what kind of nutrients we need and will balance this out over the several meals in a week: alittle milk, a little veggies, a little fruit, meat (if you aren't a vegetarian) nuts, bread, rice etc etc.

Variety and moderation are the keywords.

Did you know that htere has ben a recall of beef products for human consumption also? I think it was in California, but am not sure. Also the pigs are at stake. After all, what do they do with the grains that did not make it to the petfood? You just give it to the pigs. And then eat the pig yourself ....

Yesterday, I ate my own grown Phak Kana. There is really a difference in taste, delicious!

Nienke

Actually we are still road testing our maid at the moment, once we are happy with her we'll look more closely at the pup again. Still keen though, but we want to be sure that we have all our ducks lined up at home before we ad a pup to the mix, but it's looking good :o

Good idea, but I can tell you from experience, the maid will love the golden. At first our maids were worried, but now whenever they have spare time they are usually playing with the dog.

And the misery goes on :o

FDA Suspects Tainted Chicken, Human Food Finally Being Tested for Melamine Tuesday, April 24th, 2007

FDA will begin testing for melamine in the human food supply after investigating chicken farms and the expansion of tainted pork. This is more than a month after the first pet food recall was announced.

In addition, the FDA on Tuesday announced plans to expand testing of the animal food supply after hogs on farms in three states were quarantined after testing positive for the substance at the center of the recall, the

toxic agent melamine.

A poultry farm in Missouri is also being investigated, federal officials said.

"http://www.itchmo.com/go/tagged/safety/"