Non-Imm O (Multiple) question

OK the Non-Imm O multiple entry vis is for a year but can be extended to 15 months.

My quick question is, is there any risk to that or is it a slam dunk ? ie is there ever a reason to deny it the extra 3 months ?

Finally if extending the 12 months to 15 months just before the expiry, is there any risk in doing that at BKK airport or does it make no difference whether done at land crossing or air.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

My quick question is, is there any risk to that or is it a slam dunk ? ie is there ever a reason to deny it the extra 3 months ?

As things stand you shouldn’t have a problem exiting and immediately returning for a new 90 day stay. But don’t use the Aranya’/Poipet crossing as they do refuse people trying to live in the country with a ME Non O visa.

14 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Finally if extending the 12 months to 15 months just before the expiry, is there any risk in doing that at BKK airport or does it make no difference whether done at land crossing or air.

No problem at BKK airport. Air is probably best, but there are no reported problems doing it at the Laos or Myanmar crossings.

You are aware entry is only for 90 days using that visa?  To get a new 90 day stay you just have to exit and return.  To get the longer stay you just make last entry near the expiration date of the visa.  You do not extend anything and your permitted to stay stamp you obtain on entry is what allows your remaining here for a specific time - you do not need a valid visa to stay here.  As long as you enter during the valid period of the visa you should get a new 90 day stay.

All succinctly put and helpful - appreciated.

Whilst here - is it acceptable to live on these year after year or frowned upon ?

I would have no problem with the quarterly exit/returns with the advantage of no bank deposits or immigration so a bit surprised more people don't do this - especially the ones who claim to have such a torrid time in immigration (I don't know any personally but there seem to be a few on here)

1 hour ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Whilst here - is it acceptable to live on these year after year or frowned upon ?

If you read enough of the posts on here, you may start to think that everything is frowned upon????!

Anyway I'll have to do a 6 day visa run to the UK in Jan and come back to get a last 90 day entry out of my ME for FEB/MAR. The problem I have is, disappointingly London has stopped issuing ME visas.....but if we were going to a country close by, we would try and make it a weekend city break, not just turn around same day????

2 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

All succinctly put and helpful - appreciated.

I would have no problem with the quarterly exit/returns with the advantage of no bank deposits or immigration so a bit surprised more people don't do this - especially the ones who claim to have such a torrid time in immigration (I don't know any personally but there seem to be a few on here)

I would say it’s tolerated. The visa is meant for people living outside Thailand that want to make multiple visits. Not for people to live in the country.

It’s a similar situation to people using tourist visas to live in the country. It was tolerated while the numbers were low, but once they started getting too high the authorities clamped down.

IMO all the time the use of ME visa to live in the country is low it will be tolerated, but if numbers grow too high the authorities might start to enforce the visa system.

We have already seen the visa becoming harder to get over the last few years, which says a lot. 

Edited by elviajero

There is nothing wrong in using multi entry non immigrant O visa and immigration should be happy with it as they do not have to bother with yearly checks/paperwork.  The only time it would be questioned is the same as for extensions of stay - suspect sham marriage to stay/work illegally here.  As long as used for real marriage (you return and stay with wife expected) it fits those that want to travel or who work overseas and spend off time here.  But it can get old having to leave every 90-120 days so most will prefer one year extensions of stay if financials available.

I would say it’s tolerated. The visa is meant for people living outside Thailand that want to make multiple visits. Not for people to live in the country.

It’s a similar situation to people using tourist visas to live in the country. It was tolerated while the numbers were low, but once they started getting too high the authorities clamped down.

IMO all the time the use of ME visa to live in the country is low it will be tolerated, but if numbers grow too high the authorities might start to enforce the visa system.

We have already seen the visa becoming harder to get over the last few years, which says a lot. 

I am doing this for 20 years, no problem . It is only becoming harder to get in certain countries.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app