How much GB needed for streaming live TV?

tomx2

Hi.

Staying in Pattaya hotel (using their WIFI) to stream Live TV/Movies launching a IPTV link to stream. Use Kodi also. Average between 1-3 hours of streaming per day.

The WIFI is average having 12/13 speed. Get buffering periodically on phone/laptop.

Would like to purchase a 3G/4G mobile data plan. Having maybe 100 mbps speed.

(Q's).

1. Based on my usage, how much GB of data would I need have?

2. What providers in Pattaya have affordable plans?

3. I read online, CAT has 100 baht 30 day plan. Is this just for doing the minimal IE. Surfing?

4. Would a Tourist mobile package at a 7/11 meet my requirements?

Couple of Notes:

The TV/Movies I stream are in HD/SD quality.

The data usage will be counted specifically to streaming.

Email, Surfing, games, downloading, will connect using the hotel wifi.

Will be staying in Pattaya for 6 months. Residence near Central Festival Mall 2nd road.

It was suggested to me, just download/watch all TV shows/Movies I stream.

Movies I can do. But I just like the idea of channel surfing TV shows, documentaries, News & live broadcasts.

This will be my first time using a 3G/4G internet provider.

Thanks.

TC.

You aren't likely to get 100 Mbps. Better off making do with your WiFi.

Allow 1 GB per hour for SD streams. 2 GB for 720p and 3 GB for 1080p

So let's say 90 GB per month.

There aren't any 90 GB full speed mobile broadband packs available to you, unless you go Postpaid.

Im using only mobile data with following usage (most of the time as hotspot for my notebook):

- netflix

- twitch

- tv streaming for football

- surfing

every day for at least 3-4hrs, weekend for sure double of the time.

According to my phone, i need between 170-230GB/month (without big downloads)

4 hours ago, Buuge said:

Im using only mobile data with following usage (most of the time as hotspot for my notebook):

- netflix

- twitch

- tv streaming for football

- surfing

every day for at least 3-4hrs, weekend for sure double of the time.

According to my phone, i need between 170-230GB/month (without big downloads)

Which plan do you use? I am currently on dtac prepaid 3 months unlimited data at 10mb/s costing around 1,500 THB. I am using around 120 GB per month.

Do you have a better choice with a newly registered sim card?

Edited by Mak25

Which plan do you use? I am currently on dtac prepaid 3 months unlimited data at 10mb/s costing around 1,500 THB. I am using around 120 GB per month.
Do you have a better choice with a newly registered sim card?
Same, dtac with 10mbps.
But the price is now 1900/90days. (I renewed a month ago)

But I'm thinking of going for 1mbps and get internet for my condo coz football stream in HD is lagging from time to time

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, alan grice said:

Ive tied True Move best service on my IPhone for one day, works well but costs a stupid amount . Their app makes it so easy to connect... but beware.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What have any of your posts to do with "How much GB needed for streaming live TV"?

Thanks all for your feedback.

The reason I inquired about GB usage is to stream live TV on my phone instead of my laptop. I do have an android box (The Shield), but did not bring this with me to Thailand.

I use a 3rd party Mobdro app to stream TV/Movies on my laptop using Android emulator BlueStack. About 60% of the TV/Movies I can stream on the laptop (ok) w/o heavy buffering.

Streaming Mobdro on my mobile, I do get a better smoother streaming response. I then cast (Mobdro app) from phone to laptop for viewing.

So my post was to inquire:

If I could improve the mbps avg (12) at my hotel with a mobile package plan? And since I am Live TV streaming, what is the amount/cost GB for a 2-3 hour live streaming?

I estimated based on your comments:

Would probably need and average of 90-170GB/month for 2-3 hrs streaming.

A monthly package would cost between 1500-2000 THB.

I would not improve my current 12 mbps speed at my the hotel.

It maybe better to opt-in to a Postpaid plan if I will be a heavy “Usage” user.

Whatever mobile plan I choose, may not make a difference if the supplier's servers are poor.

Going forward:

Try a couple of daily plan from different providers, to see any improvements.

Look at streaming service providers HULU, Sling etc, or paid IPTV. Using a VPN, see if they stream my TV channels without heavy buffering.

Thanks.

TC.

20 minutes ago, tomx2 said:

Thanks all for your feedback.

The reason I inquired about GB usage is to stream live TV on my phone instead of my laptop. I do have an android box (The Shield), but did not bring this with me to Thailand.

I use a 3rd party Mobdro app to stream TV/Movies on my laptop using Android emulator BlueStack. About 60% of the TV/Movies I can stream on the laptop (ok) w/o heavy buffering.

Streaming Mobdro on my mobile, I do get a better smoother streaming response. I then cast (Mobdro app) from phone to laptop for viewing.

So my post was to inquire:

If I could improve the mbps avg (12) at my hotel with a mobile package plan? And since I am Live TV streaming, what is the amount/cost GB for a 2-3 hour live streaming?

I estimated based on your comments:

Would probably need and average of 90-170GB/month for 2-3 hrs streaming.

A monthly package would cost between 1500-2000 THB.

I would not improve my current 12 mbps speed at my the hotel.

It maybe better to opt-in to a Postpaid plan if I will be a heavy “Usage” user.

Whatever mobile plan I choose, may not make a difference if the supplier's servers are poor.

Going forward:

Try a couple of daily plan from different providers, to see any improvements.

Look at streaming service providers HULU, Sling etc, or paid IPTV. Using a VPN, see if they stream my TV channels without heavy buffering.

Thanks.

TC.

You might not improve the speed via mobile. You need to check using a daily package with a SIM from each network.

Truemove H offers 30 GB at full speed for 1190 for a year. Yes, just 100 baht per month. But 1 GB per day won't get you far. 

Since you are staying at a hotel, you don't appear to be someone who lives in Thailand long term.

You can buy SIM packages with a large amount of data(100 GB per month) for 200 baht per month, but they are limited to 4 Mbps(0.5 MB/s)

• Like 1

I tend to use more reliable streams with fast dedicated servers or just download and play directly. Especially if I want to, invariably, play Full HD material. 

I have no penchant for low quality streams and buffering. 12 Mbps is more than adequate for downloading and streaming.

So the issue could be the source of your streams. 

19 hours ago, JamJar said:

You can buy SIM packages with a large amount of data(100 GB per month) for 200 baht per month, but they are limited to 4 Mbps(0.5 MB/s)

Hi JamJar.

Can you tell me what Provider/Store is currently offering this SIM package?

Did not find this online. I found 1 or 2 Mbps for that monthly price but not 4 Mbps.

Or was this a Flash Sale?

19 hours ago, JamJar said:

DTAC;

Buy a new SIM and within seven days, apply;

*104*430# for 31 GB @ 4 Mbps, 100 baht per month. 

*104*100# for 101 GB @ 4 Mbps, 200 baht per month. 

*104*131# for 131 GB @ 4 Mbps, 250 baht per month.

AIS;

Pick up a new AIS 4G SIM and within seven days of opening, add at least 200 baht and then apply the code *777*909# 

That will get you 110 GB per month, capped at 4 Mbps(0.5 MB/s) for 200 baht per month.

Truemove H;

Pick up a new Truemove H 4G SIM and within seven days of opening, add at least 200 baht and then apply the code *900*9605# for 100 GB per month, capped at 4 Mbps(0.5 MB/s) for 200 baht per month

For all USSD codes, you need to press the Dial key afterwards, to confirm the code.

Alternatively;

Unlimited 4 Mbps for 12 months; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sim-true-4g-4mbps-1-i276399679-s441313689.html