Grubs in soil around Mango trees

rumak

Doing some light chopping in soil around our mango trees ( age 3 years ).    Many of the trees have quite a lot of these buggers.  Look the same as the ones that totally destroyed a lawn of mine in another location.   Will they damage our trees ?   So far notice nothing... can they eat the roots like they do with grass ?

32 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

My wife says they are 1st stage root eaters.  Can kill easily, she says.  Bury some pieces of yams laced with insecticide around the trees.  They will partake and die.

any particular insecticide you/she might suggest ?  i'm thinking soak in Chaindrite.

hope they like the taste  ????       

I would leave alone but they will lay eggs and there will be more and more every year .

they do turn into beatles if what i google is correct.....then go up into the tree

23 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Wrong. They live in compost piles and rotting vegetation. No problems as far as I'm concerned. They don't eat lawns. Leave them be.

Definitely some varieties eat lawns.  i had infestation many years ago and they wiped out the whole yard.

17 minutes ago, rumak said:

Definitely some varieties eat lawns.

No they don't. That's BS. They eat rotting vegetation. Also the kids have fun with them when they transform into the beetle stage. They cause no problems. Leave them alone.

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No they don't. That's BS. They eat rotting vegetation. Also the kids have fun with them when they transform into the beetle stage. They cause no problems. Leave them alone.

Ok  boss.   Another know it all,  The fact that I have first hand experience is BS .   You go on my NO FLy LIst.   Don"t you ever do a simple one minute research before claiming to 

know something ?   https://www.bioadvanced.com/articles/lawn-grubs-threat-your-grass

32 minutes ago, rumak said:

any particular insecticide you/she might suggest ?  i'm thinking soak in Chaindrite.

hope they like the taste

Probably not a good idea. Take a picture to your local chemical shop and get some insecticide.

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Probably not a good idea.

Are you are planning to eat those Mangoes.......?

If you have birds in your area, start them off with birdseed in that area then let nature take its course.  Might be useless if they are dug in too deep but the idea is to fight nature with nature . 

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Probably not a good idea. Take a picture to your local chemical shop and get some insecticide.

Chaindrite (pronounced by most as  Shelldrite)  IS an insecticide .   Very commonly used to protect against termites and ants .  

4 hours ago, drtreelove said:

"Doing some light chopping in soil around our mango trees ( age 3 years ). "

The "chopping" will do more damage to the tree absorbing root system than the grubs will.  

light chopping..... as in loosening up the soil.    Not digging down into roots

22 hours ago, cmsally said:

Dung beetle larvae ??

I have been reading up on the different types of grubs.  (there are many, and they look similar) Here is one excerpt : " Depending on what kind of beetle grub it is, it may be feeding on decaying wood, manure or compost instead of damaging plant roots. It's hard to tell what kind of beetle grub it is unless you're an expert."

According to what I've read, most of the species do not harm tree roots.   They can however eat the roots of lawn grass, as what happened to my large yard one time.  The worst beetle grub is the ten lined beetle grub which can kill trees.  I do not think that is what we have.  More likely larvae of the rhino horn beetle but maybe another kind.  Will be easy to tell once they actually turn into beetles..... the rhino horn one being fairly large and distinctive.  And as Ivor says they are not dangerous so will be left alone.  

18 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

Are you are planning to eat those Mangoes.......?

If you have birds in your area, start them off with birdseed in that area then let nature take its course.  Might be useless if they are dug in too deep but the idea is to fight nature with nature . 

As per my post above.... will wait and see .   I think the reason we have these grubs is because we DO NOT use pesticides. Of course most of the farmers around here do.   However, as a good friend of mine concedes, sometimes a pesticide must be used if otherwise the tree (or rice in his case) will not make it.

Ah ..... while we are talking mangoes perhaps someone can answer my own question.

We also have a three year old mango tree in our back garden. Doing well and a bit larger than rumaks.

However, in the last few weeks it has grown bigger and put out a lot of new leaves. So far so good but about a week ago I noticed that a lot of these new leaves were lying on the ground around the tree. The strange thing is that the leaves have not come of the tree at the stem but look like they have been cut off with scissors ?? About half an inch of the leaf is left on the tree then there is a dead straight cut and the rest of the leaf is on the ground ? Does not look like the result of chewing and my wife and I can see no insects on the tree. The leaves only fall during the day. If I collect them all up at 6.00 pm then at 6 in the morning the ground is still clear. During the day another 20-30 will appear on the ground. Got us both stumped. Could it be birds ?

3 hours ago, rumak said:

I think the reason we have these grubs is because we DO NOT use pesticides. Of course most of the farmers around here do. 

No. I think most of the farmers around you use herbicides. Believe me on this one. 

No one mentioned biological control?

Bio insecticide Metarhizium anisopliaea should work well. Will transform those grubs into blue mold mummies [emoji23]

Wouldn't use non approved insecticides such as chaindrite for food purpose and on agricultural soil

1 hour ago, CLW said:

No one mentioned biological control?

Bio insecticide Metarhizium anisopliaea should work well. Will transform those grubs into blue mold mummies emoji23.png

Wouldn't use non approved insecticides such as chaindrite for food purpose and on agricultural soil

i have just read about your suggestion.  So far have not used anything but am removing the grubs and putting in a plastic container to see if the birds come.  Just one hour ago so no results to report yet.

Do you buy that product in Thailand ?    here is link i found for anyone interested http://www.tstanes.com/mobile/biomagic.html

Thanks for the info .  If you care to say where and on what you have used Metarhizium anisopliaea (to be called  M.A  from now on  ????   )  please share your results     rumak

i have just read about your suggestion.  So far have not used anything but am removing the grubs and putting in a plastic container to see if the birds come.  Just one hour ago so no results to report yet.
Do you buy that product in Thailand ?    here is link i found for anyone interested : http://www.tstanes.com/mobile/biomagic.html
Thanks for the info .  If you care to say where and on what you have used Metarhizium anisopliaea (to be called  M.A  from now on  [emoji846]   )  please share your results     rumak
AP Biotech Thailand for example.
They are selling either directly online or through the other common vendors

https://images.app.goo.gl/Df6VaRYDFFUV96cG9

Archived