ED Visa Extension -- What happens if Rejected?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere, but I couldn't find the specific answer.

• MY MAIN QUESTION:

If they reject my ED Visa Extension, what happens? Do they give me days or a week or something to leave? Do they give me a tourist visa for some period of time? Or do they drive me to the airport or make me buy a ticket immediately?  

I ask because I have an apartment and stuff here. I am planning on heading back to my country in late fall for the holidays anyway, so if they reject my renewal I will just do some traveling on the way back home. One option would be to go to China, Vietnam, or elsewhere but it would be nice if I have a week or more to figure it out to save on airfare and to get a visa for somewhere if I go to a country without Visa on Arrival.

Here is some background if this matters in terms of predictions of what will happen! -- I am going in to renew my ED Visa. I completed the original 3 month ED Visa (doing the extensions along the way to make that one last 9 months), then went abroad and got a new one that is for 3 months (taking me to now-- which is 12 months at this point).  When I started all this, the ED Visa was supposedly attainable for 9 months (doing the extension process during that time), then you could get a new one abroad and do the extensions again until you reached 15-16 months.  I have heard that the length of time was shortened to 14 months, but I also heard they are kind of being flexible on that (or at least inconsistent). I attend school for hours every day at a legit school. But.... I am not good with languages; plus I struggled with dyslexia when a child so the Thai Script is absolutely brutal on me.  I am admittedly behind where they expect in terms of speaking Thai and reading/writing Thai.  I understand that sometimes they have unrealistic expectations anyway, but maybe I will get lucky with who I sit across from at immigration... but probably not. Note that I have never overstayed, never reported late, do not work illegally, or anything. But... I suck at languages. 

Anyone have recent experiences with ED Visa this far into it?  Any guesses on if they drive me immediately to the airport, or give me a full 2 month extension, or anything in between?!

Sounds like they have really tightened things up on the Ed visa since I took lessons (2012-14).  I doubt they would kick you out of the country immediately.  I have read where people had their work permits cancelled but were given a week to wrap things up.

With regards to the questions they will ask (in Thai) at immigration to assess your abilities, I found that they were so easy that the only reason a person couldn’t answer them is if they never attended a single class nor attempted to learn/speak any Thai while here.  Such as “what will you do today” or “what Thai food do you like”.  

If you apply for any type of extension and it gets denied, you will be given 7 days to leave the country (only once, so you can not apply for an extension when the 7 days from your denied extension are over to get another 7 days)

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you apply for any type of extension and it gets denied, you will be given 7 days to leave the country (only once, so you can not apply for an extension when the 7 days from your denied extension are over to get another 7 days)

That depends. If you’ve still got time left on your current permit to stay they probably won’t give you the extra 7 days to leave the country. 

The 7 days is to give people time to leave who have run out of time.

55 minutes ago, Dexter1234 said:

Anyone have recent experiences with ED Visa this far into it?  Any guesses on if they drive me immediately to the airport, or give me a full 2 month extension, or anything in between?!

They definitely won’t drive you to the airport, or give you any kind of visa.

If they deny the extension they’ll give you 7 days to leave unless you still have time remaining from your current permission to stay.

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

That depends. If you’ve still got time left on your current permit to stay they probably won’t give you the extra 7 days to leave the country. 

The 7 days is to give people time to leave who have run out of time.

Yes, this can very well be.

But we can say: OP will have at least 7 days before he has to leave the country, even if he should apply on his last day.

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

But we can say: OP will have at least 7 days before he has to leave the country, even if he should apply on his last day.

Only if they accept the application and the 1900 baht fee for the extension is paid.

If they did not accept the application he would have to apply for another extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and the be granted 7 days to leave the country.

What happens if (example):

- visa extension is valid until February 1

- I go to Immigration on January 15 (because school documents from the MOE already arrived - usual procedure to go early)

- if they deny the extension: can the applicant stay until:

1. February 1 (original extension)

2. February 8 (+7 days denied new extension)

3. January 22 (application date January 15 + 7 days)

It helps if anyone knows many people of us to plan our lives more easily and how much time we have.

25 minutes ago, cerox said:

-I go to Immigration on January 15 (because school documents from the MOE already arrived - usual procedure to go early)

-if they deny the extension: can the applicant stay until:

1. February 1 (original extension)

2. February 8 (+7 days denied new extension)

3. January 22 (application date January 15 + 7 days)

1. Correct unless they accept your application and then disapprove it after you paid the 1900 fee which would result in being granted 7 days to leave.

2. Not unless you applied for a extension on the 1st and it was disapproved after paying the 1900 baht fee.

3. About the same as what I wrote in number 1. You do not get the 7 days unless you pay the 1900 baht fee after it is accepted.

Thank you.

So it is safest to go to Immigration about 7 days before the current extension expires, right? This way, they cannot reduce our current extension of stay if the next extension gets refused (7 days to leave from current date).

6 minutes ago, cerox said:

So it is safest to go to Immigration about 7 days before the current extension expires, right? This way, they cannot reduce our current extension of stay if the next extension gets refused (7 days to leave from current date).

Immigration seldom disapprove extension applications after they accept it and you pay the 1900 baht fee. I honestly cannot remember a case of that happening unless a person did not qualify for any extension were there to get the 7 days to leave.

In most cases they only refuse to accept your application and tell you to come back and try again with additional documents. That is why it is always best to do the application as early as possible.