Purpose of TM30

B) it seems that Indians people abused some rules, arrived for example in Phuket, got fake marriages with Thai ladies, and disappeared in other provinces. TM 30 started to be enforced especially for them, to be able to trace where criminals or people abusing the system are. I do understand terrorists won’t provide their addresses and I pointed this out. Still, immigration seems to be strict on TM30 and TM30, once registered, is the responsibility of the Thai landlord.

I think it's extremely easy to circumvent TM30. Just print a doctored rental agreement. Use this with all your dealings with anyone who wants your address. Immigration, Banks, etc. Then just tell your real landlord that you took care of the TM30 for them and tell them that you will be responsible for any fines. Done. 

So since it's so easy for criminals to circumvent, what is the real purpose of TM30? I think it's for tracing future criminals. you may not be a criminal today, but in the future you might become one. You may have a valid visa today, but maybe not tomorrow. And then they will be able to find you easier. What do you guys think?

Ps. I'm not complaining about TM30, although I do hope they keep working on making it easy to report online.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, hobz said:

it seems that Indians people abused some rules, arrived for example in Phuket, got fake marriages with Thai ladies, and disappeared in other provinces

Yet in other news today they are proposing visa free travel for Indians (& Chinese) hardly addressing the real problem are they?

24 minutes ago, CGW said:

Yet in other news today they are proposing visa free travel for Indians (& Chinese) hardly addressing the real problem are they?

Yeah, its possible that they don't really understand what they are doing... I've noticed that Thai government in general has a problem with understanding the difference between making rules and enforcing them ... They seem to be somewhat bad at second order thinking. So in this case they are actually enforcing the tm30, but they seem to not understand that the real criminals will circumvent it easily and thus they are just creating lots of work for themselves and all the law abiding foreigners.

Notice how immigration didn't respond to him pointing out that terrorists etc will not report their address anyway.. this is telling. This tells us that immigration have not thought this through.

Edited by hobz
  • Like 2

Let's face it , they can forge anything here once they have your details.

Your passport details once upon a time were supposed to be a guarded secret between you and immigration dept. of the country you are visiting.

Now every body gets a copy.

Anybody at the Post Office or their friends , Bank employees , Land and Transport dept. Wherever you buy a SIM card . 

There must be literally thousands of people here who have access to your passport details .

17 hours ago, hobz said:

Notice how immigration didn't respond to him pointing out that terrorists etc will not report their address anyway..

I think most of the terrorists are home grown and they have Thai IDs (real or fake) and don't need TM 30 BS. Did they release the names of those caught in the recent Bangkok bombings?