Torrential rains predicted for East, South

rooster59

Torrential rains predicted for East, South

By The Nation

800_36275bd1ad9f82b.jpeg

The eastern and southern regions of Thailand will face isolated torrential rains on Saturday and Sunday (August 10-11) due to the intense southwest monsoon across the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand and the monsoon across the upper North to the low-pressure cell over upper Laos, the Thai Meteorological Department said.

In its forecast, the department urged residents to beware of the severe conditions that may cause flash floods and water runoffs.

The affected areas are:

Saturday: Isolated heavy to very heavy rain 

East: Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat.

South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang.

Sunday: Isolated heavy rain.

East: Chanthaburi, Trat.

South: Ranong, Phang Nga, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon.

Strong winds could bring waves 2-4 metres high in the upper Andaman Sea, 2-3 metres high in the upper Gulf and above 4 metres in the thundershower areas.

All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats should stay ashore, the weather department said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374585

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-11
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Plenty in Chianger over the last week and enough yesterday to even slow the traffic down????

Just looked at Ventusky weather radar. Massive rain heading east over Yangon that should collect Chiang Mai after it passes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richsilver said:

Today is Sunday.  What are they now giving us a Saturday forecast?

If you had bothered to read the article you would have noticed that it was dated 10 August which was Saturday. It came up on their website very early in the morning on Saturday.

• Like 2

What about the North? We had very heavy rain overnight (Saturday) in Loei Province, and this morning. The first decent rain since the end of May. Why was this not forecast? Why is the news (and weather forecast) only ever concerned about the South?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

They keep forecasting it but it's still bone dry in Jomtien. The gardener is watering the condo lawns.

You do know that Jomtien is in Chon Buri province  (which is not mentioned in the forecast), don't you?

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

And still it was wrong.

If you bothered to look at when it was published, you would have seen it was a forecast. It did rain in some parts of the affected provinces.   Would never get, say the BBC forecasting worng, at all, ever, would you?  Hurricane, what hurricane Mr Fish? But that would not fit with the anti-Thai narrative, would it?

At least the Thai dams have not yet been in danger of collapsing unlike, say, one in UK.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Surin province gets nothing as usual, plenty of clouds just sitting there mocking about what could be.

Same in Sisaket... some showers here and there, but the rice paddies are still empty of water. 

It is almost mid-August, the rice is only 30 cm high and disaster is looming for many farmers. 

I am writing these lines under plenty of sun... 

2 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

If you bothered to look at when it was published, you would have seen it was a forecast.

That is why all the better forecasts (which are not promises, mind) include a probability that the event will happen

22 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

You do know that Jomtien is in Chon Buri province  (which is not mentioned in the forecast), don't you?

The forecast of the day before did mention Chonburi. And it still didn't rain in Jomtien.

I'm not criticising the forecast or the forecasters: just pointing out that it is not raining in Jomtien.

Edited by KittenKong

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

Just looked at Ventusky weather radar. Massive rain heading east over Yangon that should collect Chiang Mai after it passes.

I wouldn't trust Ventusky either on their hour by hour predictions. They miss out to many times imo.

Plus, what comes over the ocean is blocked by the mountain chains in Myanmar coastal regions.

But nevertheless a lot of rain is heading CNX way.

Edited by hugocnx

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Surin province gets nothing as usual, plenty of clouds just sitting there mocking about what could be.

We had quite a downpour on Friday evening for 3 hours in Prasat but a friend who live 4 km away had nothing . Now is started raining again at 14 20 hrs 

2 hours ago, PaDavid said:

What about the North? We had very heavy rain overnight (Saturday) in Loei Province, and this morning. The first decent rain since the end of May. Why was this not forecast? Why is the news (and weather forecast) only ever concerned about the South?

thats where most of the Muslims live

52 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

I wouldn't trust Ventusky either on their hour by hour predictions.

True, Ventusky wildly inaccurate, pointless looking, to get accurate data they need to input accurate data, can understand why they don't bother for such a relatively small area!

2 hours ago, PaDavid said:

You expect a lot from forecasters for such a small area. ???? 

The weather in the South is a lot more volatile, a lot of fishing boats and coastal towns to look after, they also have two Monsoons to deal with! while we in the North have only one that has been pretty inactive this year! ????  

The forum made my mind up about whether to go full time to LOS or just be a frequent visitor as I am now , spending about 4/5 months a year there and doing different regions on different trips .

There is so much evidence that a lot of expats spend their time sweating  the small stuff and bickering that I can see the huge sign reading BORED OUT OF MY TREE... flying high. 

Best of both worlds for me I think. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Would never get, say the BBC forecasting worng, at all, ever, would you?  Hurricane, what hurricane Mr Fish? But that would not fit with the anti-Thai narrative, would it?

What a strange comment --- that Michael Fish event was back in the days when forecasters used to stick symbols magnetically on a map (not always successfully).