Closing a visa or extension, necessary?

I'm a US citizen and have been living in Thailand for 4 years.  My girlfriend is a Philippine citizen here on an EDU visa.  She has been informed by the school that when she leaves Thailand she is required to "close" her visa.  The school also told me that I'm required to "close" my retirement extension.  I had assumed that when we left the visa and extension would just expire.  I'm loathe to make an extra visit to Chaeng Wattana, is it necessary to "close" these items or do these items just expire?

11 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Can I round up my paperwork and apply for a new Non o even though my existing visa is still valid?

If you mean within the next few months probably not. Not a problem during the last month of its validity.

1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Can I round up my paperwork and apply for a new Non o even though my existing visa is still valid?

They might issue a new visa, but they would cancel the existing visa at the same time. The only advantage would be to secure a new visa in case the visa is withdrawn or application requirements get changed.

Otherwise getting a new visa now would only gain you about 6 months — before needing to apply again — as you’ve only 1 year to use it. 

An entry in January using the existing visa takes you to April, and a 60 day extension would take to June. So with planning you don’t need a new visa until June 2020.