Maverick MP walks out on coalition over broken promises

webfact

Maverick MP walks out on coalition over broken promises

By THE NATION

800_90780ecce94703d.jpg?v=1565689215

The Thai Civilised Party issued a statement on Tuesday saying it’s only MP was leaving the coalition government because he had not been given a Cabinet seat as promised. 

Speaking at a press conference, Mongkholkit Suksintharanont also cautioned the other nine small parties, saying they too will find themselves being let down. 

Thai Civilised Party to quit coalition

Mongkholkit said he will be an independent Opposition member and will decide on whether or not to support possible no-confidence motions against the Prayut Chan-o-cha government on a case-by-case basis. 

The first-time MP said he remained friendly with the nine small parties despite their decision to stay in the coalition, and also praised many coalition MPs and several senators. He lauded Deputy Agriculture Minister Thammanas Phromphao for his generosity. Thammanas lent Mongkholkit some money when he needed it. 

He also warned the government about a possible defeat in potential no-confidence motions, saying the coalition’s 249 seats against the Opposition’s 246 was a very narrow margin and the corruption allegations related to the construction of a futsal stadium will be a difficult nut for the Prayut government to crack.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374689

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-14

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, I'm gonna get you, too

It's early days, but I'm kind of enjoying this "coalition" !

A real simmering dissatisfaction on what is real what was really looked at , before joining the coalition, borrowed monies , sweeteners promised and now the realities  are hitting home, reminds me of a quote,

"One who never anticipates deceit or expects duplicity and yet is the first to recognise such things -is that not a sage indeed?"

Confucius.

Prayut handed out ministries as rewards to Democrat members and others who voted for him to become Prime Minister. If this lone ranger voted for Prayut why was he not rewarded with his ministry as promised?

If what he says is true it seems he was nicely sucked in. He should have known better than to vote for him in the first place. After all, the PM's track record of promises and commitments made but left unfulfilled is widely known.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Civilised Party issued a statement on Tuesday saying it’s only MP was leaving the coalition government because he had not been given a Cabinet seat as promised. 

It will also be taking it's colored marbles away and will in future play alone with them.

Prayut handed out ministries as rewards to Democrat members and others who voted for him to become Prime Minister. If this lone ranger voted for Prayut why was he not rewarded with his ministry as promised?
If what he says is true it seems he was nicely sucked in. He should have known better than to vote for him in the first place. After all, the PM's track record of promises and commitments made but left unfulfilled is widely known.
Weren't the small parties rewarded when prayut changed the rules after the election, and awarded them seats that they had not won?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

32 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

In the first place promising him a seat in the cabinet was wrong. How can a party with only one MP represent enough people to be a member of cabinet?

But I see that's not how it goes in Thai politics

If you've worked in Thai companies or institutions, you know that is how it goes everywhere here. They promise mountains and deliver molehills.

Didn't take long for this coalition to crumble! Can't say I'm surprised.

"He lauded Deputy Agriculture Minister Thammanas Phromphao for hisgenerosity. Thammanas lent Mongkholkit some money when he needed it."

Quite an interesting tidbit, too.

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

Weren't the small parties rewarded when prayut changed the rules after the election, and awarded them seats that they had not won?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What you say is correct. But he says he was promised a cabinet seat which means he was promised a ministry. Whether he is being truthful is the big question. The other question is, would Prayut ever break a promise? 

Archived