Laos bus from border into Vientiane

Saw this on Trip Advisor regarding Udon Thani Bus Station to Vientiane Bus Station, if left behind due to too slow Visa on Arrival:

The Bus

They like you to have your visa in advance, but will take you with the proviso that you may get left behind at the border if it is taking too long. But if u get left behind, no prob, as there is a Lao public bus that stops near the immigration exit and goes to the same bus station for less than $1.

I have often seen large buses traversing Thailand into Laos but have assumed they were already taken and not accepting new people.

Thus I've always paid 20 thb for a little bus across the bridge and 200-300 for a tuk into Vientiane. This is non-ideal.

Is it possible to get into a big bus at the border, directly to the Vientiane bus station? If so, I assume it must be on the Laos side? Where is the ticket sold? 

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Yes it's possible, the bus leaves on the Lao side (after clearing Lao immigration) and you pay for the ride on the bus. It's a big green bus, hard to miss.

Good to know, I see those busses on the road all the time. Do I just walk to the driver and ask or is there a special booth somewhere that handles the ticket?

5 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Good to know, I see those busses on the road all the time. Do I just walk to the driver and ask or is there a special booth somewhere that handles the ticket?

You just board the bus and take a seat. A conductor will make the rounds to collect the fare from all passengers once the bus is on its way.

Edited by Caldera
Typo
  • Like 1