Weather Alert

Jai Dee

Rainfall, gusts, and hails in the North, Northeast and Central

The Meteorological Department of Thailand has issued a warning of a tropical storm near the northern region of Thailand due to high pressure, or cold air mass, from China.

The department says many areas in the lower North, the Northeast and the central region, including Bangkok, will experience heavy rainfall and gusts. Some provinces may also encounter hails, and they include Lampang, Phrae, Uttaradit, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phetchabun, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram, Surin, Nakhon Sawan, Chai Nat, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Sa Kaeo, Prachin Buri, Chon Buri, Rayong and Chanthaburi.

The department has warned people to be careful of the hazards from the tropical storm. People have to watch over their residences, construction materials, and bases of advertisement signs. The department says people should not wear ornaments that are conductive for lightning in opened areas during precipitation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 March 2007

I have the links to weather.com on My Yahoo. Here's Chiang Mai:

# Today: Scattered thunderstorms. High 83F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms this evening followed by occasional showers overnight. Low 64F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.

# Tomorrow: Variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms. High 89F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.

# Tomorrow night: Scattered thunderstorms in the evening with a few showers possible late. Low 64F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.

# Thursday: Morning showers. Highs in the mid 90s and lows in the mid 60s.

# Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 90s and lows in the mid 60s.

# Saturday: Abundant sunshine. Highs in the upper 90s and lows in the mid

Those high temperatures in F are several degrees lower than what it's been lately.

Warning

"Summer Thunderstorm in Upper Thailand"

No. 15 (80/2550) Time Issued : March 20, 2007

A moderate high pressure system covers upper Thailand. Confluence of southwesterly and southeasterly winds prevails over the central including Bangkok, east and north while hot during the day over the areas.

Isolated thunderstorms and hails with gust are therefore expected during 20-22 March 2007.

People in these areas beware of summer thunderstorms and assure of secured housings, buildings and advertisements.

In addition, more rain is expected from Phetchaburi southwards to Songkhla.

Water should be retained for utility.

Source: Thai Meteorological Department - 20 March 2007

Tropical storm hits Trat Province, inflicting damages to residences and agricultural areas

Tropical storm hits Kao Saming (เขาสมิง) District in Trat (ตราด) Province, inflicting damages on people's residences.

Many Sub-districts, including Wangtakien (วังตะเคียน), Sato (สะตอ), Praniet (ประณีต), and Changtoon (ช้างทูน) in Trat have been affected by tropical storm, causing local residents’ agricultural areas and houses have been damaged.

In addition, press members reports the tropical storm have killed a local resident while he was working on his farm land.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 March 2007

# Today: Scattered thunderstorms. High 83F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms this evening followed by occasional showers overnight. Low 64F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.

# Tomorrow: Variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms. High 89F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.

# Tomorrow night: Scattered thunderstorms in the evening with a few showers possible late. Low 64F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.

Those high temperatures in F are several degrees lower than what it's been lately.

Here in Mae-Jo my thermometer says 91*F in-the-shade, and it is sunny & clear, except for the haze.

A nice refreshing shower would be VERY welcome indeed ! Here's hoping !

Here in Mae-Jo my thermometer says 91*F in-the-shade, and it is sunny & clear, except for the haze.

isnt this what the north needs to put out the fires and get rid of the haze ?

big electrical storm with a bit of rain last night in hua hin , the lightning was magnificent.

3 degree temperature drop at lunchtime today , clouded over , lovely cool wind and light rain at the moment .

65 km more north, here in Phetchaburi City, today strong winds from 12:00 - 15:00 and rain for an hour.

Nobody mentioned something about wind and rain in Phetchaburi province :o

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

Left Chiang Mai last Wednesday after 3 weeks in the North (CM, CR & MHS). I would have killed for a storm to clean the air & extinguish some, if not all of the fires. I leave & you get rain, just my luck.

isnt this what the north needs to put out the fires and get rid of the haze ?

We could see lightning in the distance to the North, at midnight, and finally had a heavy shower about 03.30. Heavenly ! I went outside, and stood in the rain, for the sheer enjoyment of it ! :o