Thailand further trims 2019 arrivals forecast while tourism confidence index holds steady

webfact

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Sounds like the good old low season years ago, except the beer bars are now like homestays for the elderly. I used to like being in Patts in the good old low season days when farangs were kings. 

Thats me a Low season Lover all the balloon chasers could live on Free food 6 days a week

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Thats me a Low season Lover all the balloon chasers could live on Free food 6 days a week

What is a balloon chaser?

5 hours ago, sn1per said:

Are tourists that just use BKK as a transit point without leaving the airport or transferring to DMK before travelling on to neighbouring countries counted in these tourist arrival figures?

Like also the citizens of the neighbouring countries entering Thailand every day (and going back home in the evening), for a job near the border or to sell their goods on a market f.i.? Say 50,000 alongside the Cambodian + Laotian + Burmese border, possibly? 340 days per year? ...That'd then be 17 million 'foreign tourists' already!

I went to my local pub here in the uk yesterday and met up with the lads to watch England smash Australia at cricket????Anyway there was lots of talk about coming to visit me when I'm back there but that all come to an end when the baht was mentioned.i used to have 3-5 mates come to Thailand and some twice a year.now they just talk about going to Spain where they can get a pint for €1 euro.once you put tourists off of your country they tend never to go back.i once went to Turkey and Egypt and didnt like the places and people and wouldn't go back even if it was free.

39 minutes ago, garyk said:

What is a balloon chaser?

It's a little bald fella wearing crocs,chang vest,no girlfriend  that mooches around bars looking out for balloons outside a bar indicating there's a party so free food and maybe if he's lucky a couple of shots of some bright coloured pish.

Simply put TOURSIM IS DOWN!

Why can't the authorities simply admit that fact and stop the persistant BS hype? Speak to most Thai and the general responce will be NO CUSTOMERS!!! The surveys are a waste of time because the research does not go to street levels where the real impacts are felt... 

Example:

Thailand has never been colonized by 'EUROPEANS'. However, they fail to say why that was.

The British and French decided to use Thailand as a buffer zone to seperate the two Super Powers of the day. Thailand could have so easily been taken over by either super power or the country cut into two zones, but they persistantly fail to admit that fact, much the same as they do with tourist figures.  My point is, why lie? 

Thailand has become too expensive, unwelcoming, violent, racist with many more negative aspects, and governed by the Junta, who have had control for many past decades!

Why are so many ex-pats leaving? I for one will be departing very soon. I cannot wait. Simply put, I have had enough of the place. I know that I can find a much better lifestyle elsewhere.. For me personally, the bubble has finally burst..Thank god!

in 2008 the £ v Baht was around 65B, a bottle of beer (heiny) was 60B-70B so about £1 a bottle... the £ has been in decline since then but beer prices have been rising. Now the same bottle of beer is anywhere between 90B- 120B with the £ at 37B the same beer is costing £2.50 - £3.30 a bottle, even if you factor in a bit of inflation its still quite an increase... all in all Thailand is not a cheap place to take a holiday anymore. ( I was just using beer as an example, but food prices and hotels have also gone up quite a bit) I won't mention the lady drinks as I'm training to be a monk ????????

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I dunno I'm always skeptical about how much fx affects the average tourist.

It doesn't affect a GENUINE tourist at all, because GENUINE tourists don't know how much their currency was against the baht 6 months or 3 years ago.

They exchange their currency to Thai baht and consider that the rate.

A tourist doesn't care if a chang beer costs 1.5 USD or 1.65 USD, that are only the skint retired whiners on this forum who care about that.

1 hour ago, ThePioneer said:

It doesn't affect a GENUINE tourist at all, because GENUINE tourists don't know how much their currency was against the baht 6 months or 3 years ago.

They exchange their currency to Thai baht and consider that the rate.

A tourist doesn't care if a chang beer costs 1.5 USD or 1.65 USD, that are only the skint retired whiners on this forum who care about that.

I agree if you are talking about first time visitors, but repeat tourists who were coming year after year have got something to compare what they were getting for their money in the past to what they get now. Are repeat tourists not counted as genuine tourists?

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Yes they are staying in the resort in the background of this photo I took yesterday in Hua Hin.

20190825_183337.jpg

20190825_183354.jpg

Ah, that's where you dump your victims........

No wonder there's no women left in Hua Hin.

7 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I went to my local pub here in the uk yesterday and met up with the lads to watch England smash Australia at cricket????Anyway there was lots of talk about coming to visit me when I'm back there but that all come to an end when the baht was mentioned.i used to have 3-5 mates come to Thailand and some twice a year.now they just talk about going to Spain where they can get a pint for €1 euro.once you put tourists off of your country they tend never to go back.i once went to Turkey and Egypt and didnt like the places and people and wouldn't go back even if it was free.

They only came to Thailand for the beer?

As the pic is from Yaowarat (China town) and i just went there with my gf yesterday. It was packed like crazy. Never have seen it like that before ( apart from Chinese new year). But what`s total obvious...max 10% farangs and full of Chinese. Basically you have to queue up everywhere, which wasn`t the case in the past. 

So it wasn`t a pleasant experience at all and my gf and I will skip it for a few months (if not longer)-

On 8/26/2019 at 12:03 PM, sn1per said:

Are tourists that just use BKK as a transit point without leaving the airport or transferring to DMK before travelling on to neighbouring countries counted in these tourist arrival figures?

No they are not included, but it wouldn't make a big difference if they were. Less than 3% only transfer in Thailand.

2018 2.jpg

18 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

No they are not included, but it wouldn't make a big difference if they were. Less than 3% only transfer in Thailand.

2018 2.jpg

How come I initially read the Type Of Movements (a great heading in itself) as Disembowelled and Embalmed.

23 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Koh Samui is the same - almost zero tourists.  We have a small Resort and for the first time in 14 years, we have a two week gap of no Tourists at all.  Sadly I have become very sceptical of numbers quoted by TAT over the years, which tend to be contradicted by other Thai Agencies shortly after they publish their figures.

How many new hotel rooms in Samui since 14 years?

20 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Yes brilliant play and the Lyons fumble summed up the Ozzie game in the end.

Agree with the rest of your comment also (just to stay on topic). 

Archived