Transport Minister eyes strict truck curfew to reduce Bangkok jams

webfact

Transport Minister eyes strict truck curfew to reduce Bangkok jams

By The Nation

800_09bd43ef29472a9.jpg?v=1566876595

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob is planning to revisit the truck curfew policy, with an eye to restricting trucks and large vehicles to the hours from midnight to 4am in congested areas of Bangkok.

Saksayam said on Monday (August 26) during the seminar, “Economic Strategy Under The New Government”, that the Ministry is looking into increased restrictions in city areas where traffic jams are a serious problem.

“This policy will aim to permit trucks and large vehicles to run only from midnight to four in the morning,” he said. “This will allow other road users (cars, motorcycles, bicycle, and pedestrians) more road space during daytime, which should alleviate traffic digestion in the big city.

“It will also make roads safer for smaller cars and pedestrians, since large vehicles tend to cause more devastating and fatal accidents,” he added.

The Transport Minister admitted that the idea will probably be opposed by parties that use trucks as their main means of transport, such as logistics companies and manufacturing factories, so he is prepared to be flexible.

“Of course, exceptions can be made for large vehicles to traverse the city during daytime in case of emergency,” he said. “Otherwise, transport companies can switch to smaller vehicles when they can, which should still contribute to the cause of reducing traffic jams, as they take less space than trucks.”

Trucks are currently restricted during morning rush hours and afternoon to evening rush hours.

Saksayam added that the idea of a truck curfew has been around for years and many countries have successfully enforced it. “It might be troublesome at first, but once we adjust the working schedule accordingly, things should run smoothly. The truck curfew will benefit not only road users during daytime, but trucks and large vehicles will enjoy a smoother run and make better time per trip at night too.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375411

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-27

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

It will also make roads safer for smaller cars and pedestrians, since large vehicles tend to cause more devastating and fatal accidents,” he added.

Caused or involved in as cause has a lot of implications and is hardly inspiring of confidence to think every time you see a big truck on the road it could be the cause of a big accident .. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

truck curfew has been around for years and many countries have successfully enforced it. “It might be troublesome at first, but once we adjust the working schedule accordingly, things should run smoothly.

Night running of big trucks has gone on for years in many euro cities and works well .. The key to it working in Bangkok is contained within his own statement .. Enforcement .. Technology can help a lot but his statement is unclear what level if any will be employed to enforce it in BKK ..  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Caused or involved in as cause has a lot of implications and is hardly inspiring of confidence to think every time you see a big truck on the road it could be the cause of a big accident .. 

Night running of big trucks has gone on for years in many euro cities and works well .. The key to it working in Bangkok is contained within his own statement .. Enforcement .. Technology can help a lot but his statement is unclear what level if any will be employed to enforce it in BKK ..  

Exactly regarding the enforcement. As his royal transport minsterness said:

"truck curfew has been around for years and many countries have successfully enforced it", admitting that enforcement works in other countries.

Enforcement doesn't work in Thailand, as it's never been tried - apart from a few very selective two-day-crackdowns, usually for the most absurd things - wearing the wrong colour shoes, or walking with an offensive wife.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Exactly regarding the enforcement. As his royal transport minsterness said:

"truck curfew has been around for years and many countries have successfully enforced it", admitting that enforcement works in other countries.

Enforcement doesn't work in Thailand, as it's never been tried - apart from a few very selective two-day-crackdowns, usually for the most absurd things - wearing the wrong colour shoes, or walking with an offensive wife.

Blimey I'd better watch my step .. I've got offensive shoes and I did have a different shade girlfriend before .. But the enforcement issue of big trucks entering BKK can be hugely assisted by technology that is unremitting and would make the idea a lot more workable .. But this is T and they have their own way of doing things .. 

• Like 1

One thing that needs to be done is to remove the port from Bangkok. Then you will see the big trucks disappear from the city plus reduce traffic jam on expressway, especially the section between Rama 4 and Bangna. But tit..

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“Of course, exceptions can be made for large vehicles to traverse the city during daytime in case of emergency,” he said. “Otherwise, transport companies can switch to smaller vehicles when they can, which should still contribute to the cause of reducing traffic jams, as they take less space than trucks.”

Great thinking.

Maybe they can start a campaign to let vehicles stand closer together in a traffic jam. Less distance between vehicles means shorter traffic jams. Just decrease the distance until there is no traffic jams left.

Genius!

Edited by Bob12345

I do not quite get the meaning of transport company's  using smaller trucks, my joined up thinking tells me one big truck is better than 10 or more small vans, and please no more pick ups with heavy duty springs big rear wheels no exhaust and a million stickers on the back, with a young driver eager to go to the future

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Blimey I'd better watch my step .. I've got offensive shoes and I did have a different shade girlfriend before .. But the enforcement issue of big trucks entering BKK can be hugely assisted by technology that is unremitting and would make the idea a lot more workable .. But this is T and they have their own way of doing things .. 

And in many cases against the law