Thailand to acquire 120 U.S. armoured vehicles

Jonathan Fairfield

"The United States curbed military aid to Thailand following a 2014 army coup, but ties are improving after disputed elections this year that officially restored civilian rule under a government led by former junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha."

Civilian rule as in "generals in suits".

7 hours ago, STALINGRAD said:

Arm chiar quaterbacks can speculate,dismiss and pontificate all they want.There have been more than 7,000 deaths in the last 15 years in Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat.More than 12,000 injuries. All related to an insurection that has no solution in sight.Just maybe they could be put to use there.

7 hours ago, daftdada said:

No one knows if they're going to be used to "quess dissent" as you put it. You saying it doesn't make it true.

As for Thailand's enemies. Have you looked at the southern border lately [for the past 15 or so years]? Malay-Muslim militants have cost almost 7,000 lives from 2004 up until now. So good move Thailand.

Chachensao, where it has already been stated these vehicles are to be based, is a very long way from the southern problems. 

It is however, close to, and has excellent road links, to Bangkok.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Chachensao, where it has already been stated these vehicles are to be based, is a very long way from the southern problems. 

It is however, close to, and has excellent road links, to Bangkok.

They're not intended for internal issues resolution. They'll be used to support Cambo border patrols initially, to observe Chinese orchestrated Cambo military infiltration. Maybe even for offensive action later.

Here is a pic of the 10 Stryker configurations available, and some close-ups. That pic early in this thread is NOT a Stryker, and that particular vehicle is not used in US forces.

stryker-3.jpg

stryker_1.jpg

stryker_2.jpg

stryker_8.jpg

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

They're not intended for internal issues resolution. They'll be used to support Cambo border patrols initially, to observe Chinese orchestrated Cambo military infiltration. Maybe even for offensive action later.

Here is a pic of the 10 Stryker configurations available, and some close-ups. That pic early in this thread is NOT a Stryker, and that particular vehicle is not used in US forces.

stryker-3.jpg

stryker_1.jpg

stryker_2.jpg

stryker_8.jpg

Well I can't pretend to be party to Cambodian (or Chinese) tactical practice but I suspect that if they were intending to implement a program of infiltrating the border, as you seem to suggest, they would not do so in areas where the terrain is suitable for the use of wheeled APCs, or open enough to allow sophisticated surveillance equipment to operate. That is rather the idea of infiltration!

The catelogue of variants is impressive. I understand that the vehicles Thailand is acquiring are the infantry carrying variant. Most of the

other configurations depicted would  require very extensive (and expensive) rebuilds, probably by the manufaturer. There is more to turning an APC into a Self Propelled Gun (SP Gun) than bolting a howitzer to the floor and gas axing a hole in the roof for it to fire through! These have been bought and are being deployed/based very much with "internal issues" in mind 

17 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well I can't pretend to be party to Cambodian (or Chinese) tactical practice but I suspect that if they were intending to implement a program of infiltrating the border, as you seem to suggest, they would not do so in areas where the terrain is suitable for the use of wheeled APCs, or open enough to allow sophisticated surveillance equipment to operate. That is rather the idea of infiltration!

The catelogue of variants is impressive. I understand that the vehicles Thailand is acquiring are the infantry carrying variant. Most of the

other configurations depicted would  require very extensive (and expensive) rebuilds, probably by the manufaturer. There is more to turning an APC into a Self Propelled Gun (SP Gun) than bolting a howitzer to the floor and gas axing a hole in the roof for it to fire through! These have been bought and are being deployed/based very much with "internal issues" in mind 

Guess my analysis is much simpler, they are simply - 

"toys for the boys"