Now I will be coming to Thailand again in December and have booked a return ticket

I have been offered a free flight in February of a friend but he will book a open

ticket for some reasons so am I am allowed to enter Thailand on an open ticket

and buy the return in Thailand or will I get refused?

Your talking about enter Thailand visa exempt. 

Your issue is not with Thai immigration. Its the airline your flying with. Without a visa most will require onward flight. A solution is to book cheapest flight out to anywhere. Cost ~ 1000baht. 

• Like 1

OP, just had another read of your post. So you come to los on the free ticket your friend provided....surely you must have some idea when you intend to return home? Book your ticket Thailand to "back home" easy. If its open ended trip then book flight out of los to satisfy airline, eg Saigon, spend time there then reenter los again visa exempt with your onward flight to home country.

2 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

It's right what DrJack54 said.

It happened to me.

You can buy a ticket (flight/bus) showing that you'll leave Thailand on you last day to any country. 

Los, did they accept bus? 

I have heard that many times but still doubtful about it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The airline did accept mine a couple years ago. Poipet immigration did not accept it when trying to come in and made me buy a air ticket. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

It was a suggestion by one of the airline staff who didn't want to check in for me. So....

Ps! I'm talking about Stockholm airport

Edited by Los Luver

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

The airline did accept mine a couple years ago. Poipet immigration did not accept it when trying to come in and made me buy a air ticket. 

Poipet Immigration don´t accept anything, so nothing new there.

A throw away ticket 1000 -2000 bht ,air asia to any nearby country, Book it for a least one week before your time expires. Make a copy of the itinerary  and keep it with you while going through Immigration . Don't forget to carry at least 20,000 bht or equivalent in cash while going through immigration booths at the airports in Thailand! Most IO won't let you go to the atm 

Edited by riclag

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

A throw away ticket 1000 -2000 bht ,air asia to any nearby country, Book it for a least one week before your time expires. Make a copy of the itinerary  and keep it with you while going through Immigration . Don't forget to carry at least 20,000 bht or equivalent in cash while going through immigration booths at the airports in Thailand! Most IO won't let you go to the atm 

So wrong. Read the op.

The issue is not with passing Thai imm. Its about getting on the plane to Thailand. Yes having money on person it always good idea along with accom booking. The op main issue is obtaining boarding pass without a visa and onward flight. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

If you use Saigon ( HCMC ) for a tourist visa to Thailand you will need to provide all the details of where you are staying etc if not a hotel. ID of the person you are staying with and a flight out ( maybe a bus ticket ) but I doubt it. You will need to show finances, 20,000 baht etc. You will need at least two nights in town, probably 3 depending on flight times in and out. Submit in the morning before 11am and pick up next afternoon after 1.30 pm.

Google their website for full details on what they require for all types of visas. They stick to the requirements they post on the website.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So wrong. Read the op.

The issue is not with passing Thai imm. Its about getting on the plane to Thailand. Yes having money on person it always good idea along with accom booking. The op main issue is obtaining boarding pass without a visa and onward flight. 

Agree. Most airlines at check in will not consider a visa exempt situation.

An open ticket means you have paid the fare, but have not booked the date, not necessarily that the ticket is one way ...it is two way, but one way requires a date to be booked.  I’m not sure you can buy a one way open ticket?

I mean, you have booked the outgoing date ...not the return date which is still open, right?

Just now, overherebc said:

I post this for border bounce folk using flights. 

I fly bkk-Saigon every couple of weeks. As recent as 2 weeks back obtaining boarding pass the lass was struggling with my pp.

I asked what you look. (I knew) ...visa. I showed her my reentry permit. I asked her what happen I no have. Her reply....fly out Thailand.

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Thanks guys for the replays I always thought I need it  an return ticket on a visa exempt entry so

I will give that flight a miss I only intended to come for a couple of weeks but my friend had

a couple of things to do and did not know when to fly back and yes my friend is Thai lives in

Australia and is duel citizen but has no idea about rules and regulations because it 

does not affect him

8 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Thanks guys for the replays I always thought I need it  an return ticket on a visa exempt entry so

I will give that flight a miss I only intended to come for a couple of weeks but my friend had

a couple of things to do and did not know when to fly back and yes my friend is Thai lives in

Australia and is duel citizen but has no idea about rules and regulations because it 

does not affect him

No worries OP.

Just keep in mind it does not have to be return ticket. Any flight out of los will suffice. 

28 minutes ago, amykat said:

An open ticket means you have paid the fare, but have not booked the date, not necessarily that the ticket is one way ...it is two way, but one way requires a date to be booked.  I’m not sure you can buy a one way open ticket?

I mean, you have booked the outgoing date ...not the return date which is still open, right?

No I think I might not explained this correctly my friend just want's to book one way and then in Thailand

the return flight since he does not know how long it takes to settle his business so I am not interested

in flying out just for a day don't get me wrong it's not because of money I just don't want the hassle

of flying out and then he will tell me we go back after 1 week so I give it a miss since I booked

a return flight for my self in December but thanks for all the advice giving to me

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So wrong. Read the op.

Even if the airline allows him to board, immigration can refuse entry due to not having a flight out, not having B 20k or having too many visa exempt entries in the recent past. He can be deported at his own cost. As for the airline allowing him to board it is simple contact them and ask them, they are the only ones that will be able to tell the OP. This policy differ between airlines and any advice on here is pure speculation.