Apple puts its money where its mouth is

watcharacters

I can make more than a million by hacking millions of those phones.  And do it again on their next feeble attempt.  Bwa, ha, ha,ha. 

A Thai relative gave me a free iPhone 6+ recently.  My first smart phone.  Useful but I hate it. 

13 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I can make more than a million by hacking millions of those phones.  And do it again on their next feeble attempt.  Bwa, ha, ha,ha. 

A Thai relative gave me a free iPhone 6+ recently.  My first smart phone.  Useful but I hate it. 

Possibly you could make more money by hacking millions of the phones but Apple is betting you can't do it.

You could say they're "walking the walk" and not just talking.

Just curious,  what is it you hate about the phone you were given by a Thai relative?

5 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Possibly you could make more money by hacking millions of the phones but Apple is betting you can't do it.

Just curious,  what is it you hate about the phone you were given by a Thai relative?

maybe becuse it soon will become a 'brick'

Apple only supports a vintage for upto 5 years beyond the date a model is superseded

Just now, tifino said:

maybe becuse it soon will become a 'brick'

Apple only supports a vintage for upto 5 years beyond the date a model is superseded

That's correct that the support ends and  upgrades are  thereafter no longer possible.   The phone  however continue to work.

Is that support termination similar to other phones?     I really don't know.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

My fingers don't fit the little touch-screen buttons. I don't like the icons or the interface or the style or lack of control.  I got started on IBM PC's (and lesser machines) back around 1982 (?).  Played with DEC stuff just a bit, like MicroVAX. I enjoyed stuff like hacking about in the Windows registry, or using a hex editor to slightly alter code I was testing to spoof error messages to bust the balls of the programmers. 

I did enjoy database stuff somewhat, messing with Oracle, Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server on a casual basis.  Mostly poking around and testing.  I had a knack at breaking stuff (software).

As for hacking, I have no real clue and was just kidding, though I do know one or two people who could do it. 

On 8/30/2019 at 8:48 AM, Damrongsak said:

You hate a phone given to you for free? That's weird. 

I just got an update this week for my iPad mini, 2012 and the same update was available for the iPhone 4s. That's a 2011 phone, much older than your 2015 iPhone 6s. I'm very happy with my iPhone 6, which I'll be using for years to come, but sooner than later the latest IOS updates will not be available for it, because it will be impossible (not because Apple is being nasty). If you really hate your free iPhone 6s that much, you can buy a cheap Android 2019 model for maybe 3000 baht that will perform better.

It's not Apple's fault for not being able to update old models to the newest IOS version. With the rapid advancement of phone technology, both hardware and software, it soon becomes impossible to update old hardware to run the latest software. If Apple didn't continually make leaps forward in technology, to appease an older generation that didn't care for advancement, they would soon become bankrupt. In fact, going forward the backwards compatibility will probably become shorter and shorter. Your phone will still work for many years to come and occasionally get updates after the latest IOS is no longer available. You'd have to be a real geek to even notice most of the improvements from year to year, unless there's a major hardware change, such as the iPhone X/Xs no home button operation, but all the phone manufacturers have caught up this year and even improved on the iPhone Xs that has quite an ugly notch. Competition is the driving force.

Archived