Minimun Bank Ballance

I am currently in the process of getting a visitors visa for my girlfriend. She has told me that she needs at least 100,000 baht in her account for any chance of her gettin a visa.

She asked me if she can borrow that amount until the visa is granted. I said no. I trust my girlfriend a bit but with that kind of money no way.

She has recently been through a bad patch as she has had to close her resteraunt and has had to pay in overdue rent.

She has about 40,000 saved

Is this amount of money nessasary in her account?

Drew,

Can i ask which country the visa is for? I can only speak from past experience with uk visas, there is not a set amout of money required, more so, it has to be shown that your girlfriend or yourself can support her needs while she is there.

If you are both going to pay for her trip then, along with her bank statements, you will need to show your last six months also, and your last six months wage slips,write a letter to the embassy explaining this.

It does not need to be large amounts, you just need to show that your gf

can be provided for, food, accomodation etc, etc

You'll find that depositing a large amount of money into her account wont help, simply leave it in yours.

Hope I make sense

Mark

I am currently in the process of getting a visitors visa for my girlfriend. She has told me that she needs at least 100,000 baht in her account for any chance of her gettin a visa.

She asked me if she can borrow that amount until the visa is granted. I said no. I trust my girlfriend a bit but with that kind of money no way.

She has recently been through a bad patch as she has had to close her resteraunt and has had to pay in overdue rent.

Is this amount of money necessary in her account?

I think they want to see consistent deposits showing steady income.

Her not having a job, steady income....could be a detriment in my opinion....but I'm no expert.

Just my 2 satang.

Good luck.

Another question. What do you think my chances are of getting a tourist visa for my girlfriend.

I ruturned from thailand 2 months ago and have a small amount saved. I am working now and earn £15,000 a year. I live with my pearents for the time being, in a 3 bedroom house owned by them. I have spent 1 month with her and keep in touch every day. I have the statments from skype, which i buy credit for as it is cheaper than a land line. I have a letter from my father, the owner of the house confirming that she may stay with me in the house. I can provide her with food and spending money.

Drew,

Can i ask which country the visa is for? I can only speak from past experience with uk visas, there is not a set amout of money required, more so, it has to be shown that your girlfriend or yourself can support her needs while she is there.

If you are both going to pay for her trip then, along with her bank statements, you will need to show your last six months also, and your last six months wage slips,write a letter to the embassy explaining this.

It does not need to be large amounts, you just need to show that your gf

can be provided for, food, accomodation etc, etc

You'll find that depositing a large amount of money into her account wont help, simply leave it in yours.

Hope I make sense

Mark

Its for a U.K visa. I have been working for 3 weeks as i had to find a new job after returning from Thailand for 2 months.

She has been working and supporting herself. I will get all the document i can. Thanks

Ok

Basically your biggest hurdle is going to be proving that your gf will return to thailand(leave the uk) after her visit, doing this aint easy, the best way of going about it is if your gf has a steady job, of which her employer will write a letter stating she has a job to come back to, secondly and the most solid piece of evidence you can have is if she owns a house or some land

The next thing you will have to prove is that your relationship is genuine, gather as much evedence of this as you can, phone bills, cards,reciepts,photos of the two of you,

Then theres the money bit...... and finally you'll have to show she has somewhere to stay,as you said the letter from your dad will be fine but he'll have to back it up with a mortgage statement or the deeds to his house, I could type here all night!..... you'll find all the info you need if you search previous threads.... there are loads!!

Good luck

Mark

Edited by markr

You'll get a lot of advice on this forum, both good and bad. Whatever the advice, make the decision yourself, because only you know your girlfriend and none of the members or guests on this site do.

Your gf does not need 100,000 baht in her bank account in order to show she has sufficiant funds. My gf was just granted a tourist visa and she only had 35k in the bank at the time. She was not asked any questions about her bank balance or where the money came from. And would you really just hand over nearly the equivelent of 1500 GBP to someone you had only been in a relationship with for just 3 months, whether they were falang or Thai? And from what I've heard, the embassy dont like you just giving large amounts of money to your partner in order to boost their bank balance for the purpose of a visa application.

If you are going to sponsor her then it is basically you that has to show sufficiant means in order to support her during her visit.

As markr mentioned, your biggest hurdle is going to be your gf giving reasons for returning to Thailand. Here are some of the reasons my gf gave...

1. A letter from her employer explaining that she had a job to return to. That letter also detailed the fact that they knew me and my parents, reinforcing our relationship history. The letter was also accompanied with information on the companys history (not really necessary).

2. Certificates showing land she owned as an individual and land that she owned with her family members.

3. A hand written letter from her son saying he was more than happy for his mother to visit the UK for a period of 4 weeks (as long as she bought him back some new trainers).

4. Amoungst the paperwork we had handed in, my parents had written a letter of guarantee in which they talked about them returning to Thailand late in 2007 to meet her family (thus showing my gf had to return to meet them).

5. Various other bits of paperwork detailing other personal info, which I cant talk about, otherwise I'll have to shoot you :o

But everbody's situation is different, and the above is just a guideline.

You must be able to show eveidence of a relationship. I did this by providing....

1. A covering letter detailing how and when we met.

2. A letter from my employer in Thailand at the time reinforcing the above info and dates.

3. 12 months of Orange phone bills showing calls and messages sent on a daily basis.

4. My international phone card (card number was displayed on orange bills)

5. Flight itinerarys and booking confirmations for all the flights I had taken to Thailand, and internally.

6. Bank Statements and credit card bills showing payments for these flights and showing payments to hotels in and around Thailand, thus backing up the fact I was where I was when I said I was.

7. Lots of photos showing us together all over Thailand and photos with me and her family. Also photos with her and my family.

8. Copies of all pages in my passport showing all my trips to Thailand which could then be linked to flight itinerarys, receipts, etc

9. My parents also provided copies of their passport showing the 2 trips they had made to Thailand to meet my gf and photos backing this up.

Again the above is just a guideline and the amount of info you give is dependent on how long you have been together. I'm sure the embassy will take this into account.

Other than that, just be honest in the information you give. If she has to attend an interview like alot of people do, tell her to be honest, stay calm, and be positive. Make sure she knows everything about you because she will be asked loads of questions about you, your family, maybe your job etc... Good luck mate and keep us all posted as to what happens.

Guemlum

Don't part with the 100,000 baht. Not only is it not a requirement for your g/f to have a set amount of money in the bank, but it could be a ruse to deprive you of your hard-earned cash.

In terms of the visit visa, your major hurdle will be that you've known each other for only 3 months. You should ensure that you submit as much evidence as you can to substantiate the genuine nature of your relationship, in addition to the other documents which have been referred to in this thread.

Scouse.

As this was the only actual question you asked, the answer is No.

Both Mark and Q' have gone thru the process more recently than I, their input is pretty good, I would listen to it.

On the balance of probabilities, looking thru the eyes of the BE, in my opinion you might struggle at this stage.

Good Luck

Moss

Edit My post crossed with Scouses, so that advice should be taken on board as well as the previous.

Edited by Mossfinn

She has told me that she needs at least 100,000 baht in her account for any chance of her gettin a visa.

I would also be concerned that your g/f needs the B100,000 more for the restaurant than for a few weeks in UK. Advise caution as she has been misinformed or she's artful!

Your g/f does not have to show large amounts in her bank account if you are acting as her sponsor. The B40,000 is more than enough, a steady throughput showing she manages her money correctly is better. Sudden deposits to her account would more than likely be questioned.

As a sponsor you state you will pay for her ticket, give her accomodation, provide meals and tourist transport while she is in UK. You do that from the hints above and what is written in the guides on the UK Visa web site Provide all the proof and more that you can. Your biggest hurdle will be to prove that she has a reason to return to Thailand

There is no set income required to sponsor a visitors visa you just need to prove you have enough to cover the expenses of her visit while continuing to pay your bills in UK

Read back postings on this forum it's all covered

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Thanks for you help guys. My girlfriend was adamant that she needed a fair bit of money in her account. But now i can tell her its not needed. I will show her the link to this thread if she doesnt beleive me.

Im already on the case of getting all the documents i need to give. I have not booked any flights yet as i dont know how long the procedure takes. But i will make that clear in my letter.

Will a tourist visa help for the future if I want to get a fiance visa later?

I will show her the link to this thread if she doesnt beleive me.
Dont do that we dont want the knock on our door :D
I have not booked any flights yet as i dont know how long the procedure takes. But i will make that clear in my letter.
The embassy advises that you do not buy any tickets before you get the result of the visa application. You do not have to provide evidence of tickets only funds to buy them
Will a tourist visa help for the future if I want to get a fiance visa later?
You're getting a bit ahead of yourself,aren't you? just 3 months and not yet sampled the UK weather :o

If she sticks to the terms of the visa and returns when she promised it will make any future application go a lot easier

Hi Drew, I know you've only been together a short time and if you tell her the moneys not needed in her account and she does a runner, then you'll know exactly where you stand and what she was in it for. But on the other hand, if she still wants a visistor visa and she's genuine about your relationship, then great, send her the link.

In theory, if she's granted a tourist visa, it should make things easier for future applications, but you may need to show that your relationship had progressed and developed in the meantime.

It helps IMO if you are there together when submit your application at the visa centre. Get all of your info together and then submit it. I believe you can submit this info 3 months prior to her wanting to come to the UK, and the visa will be granted 3 months from the time you submit your application, but the interviewer told my gf that if she needed a visa for further visits then leave it untill 3-4 weeks before she wants to come.

We only applied 3 months in advance incase any problems arose.

You may get a decision within 3-5 days after submitting your application or she may be asked to attend an interview at the embassy which could prolong things by a further 20 days, but by this time you will know if she has been sucessfull or not.

My gf was granted her visa yesterday and we aim to use this as a way of testing the water. If she likes things over here then we will progress to the next step. We've been together nearly 2 years now, so the next step would be marriage. Upon doing so, we would probably apply for a settlement visa, but who knows what the future will bring.

Good luck mate.

"Thanks for you help guys. My girlfriend was adamant that she needed a fair bit of money in her account. But now i can tell her its not needed. I will show her the link to this thread if she doesnt beleive me."

So, despite her lying to you, she's still your girlfriend. Incredible.

Edited by backflip

"Thanks for you help guys. My girlfriend was adamant that she needed a fair bit of money in her account. But now i can tell her its not needed. I will show her the link to this thread if she doesnt beleive me."

Probably not lying, just mis-informed, lot's of people told my misses complete

shee-ite when we applied!

Mark

She's not lying, she's been getting advice from her friend who had a got her visa and been through it before. My girlfriend understands now and she is getting a letter from her boss tomorrow.

Hi Guys,

This is all pretty interesting, but how about for the USA. My girlfriend is going to try to visit soon and has her appointment with the emassy for the interview. Can you give me any advise that may help?

Jim

Hi Drew, I know you've only been together a short time and if you tell her the moneys not needed in her account and she does a runner, then you'll know exactly where you stand and what she was in it for. But on the other hand, if she still wants a visistor visa and she's genuine about your relationship, then great, send her the link.

In theory, if she's granted a tourist visa, it should make things easier for future applications, but you may need to show that your relationship had progressed and developed in the meantime.

It helps IMO if you are there together when submit your application at the visa centre. Get all of your info together and then submit it. I believe you can submit this info 3 months prior to her wanting to come to the UK, and the visa will be granted 3 months from the time you submit your application, but the interviewer told my gf that if she needed a visa for further visits then leave it untill 3-4 weeks before she wants to come.

We only applied 3 months in advance incase any problems arose.

You may get a decision within 3-5 days after submitting your application or she may be asked to attend an interview at the embassy which could prolong things by a further 20 days, but by this time you will know if she has been sucessfull or not.

My gf was granted her visa yesterday and we aim to use this as a way of testing the water. If she likes things over here then we will progress to the next step. We've been together nearly 2 years now, so the next step would be marriage. Upon doing so, we would probably apply for a settlement visa, but who knows what the future will bring.

Good luck mate.

She's not lying, she's been getting advice from her friend who had a got her visa and been through it before. My girlfriend understands now and she is getting a letter from her boss tomorrow.
You know the person better that us, however we have seen situations develop where the objective of a TGF is not what it appeared. The phrase that will stand you in good stead for the future is "Trust but verify." Three months is early days in any relationship, add to this the long distance, difference in cultures and with all due respect to you your age, I suggest there is deep concern in your mind otherwise you would not have created a TV account to ask this question. Without having to give chapter and verse online here for the TV masses to comment I suggest that you go though what you know about your TGF and in turn what she knows about you. This might help understand why she is seeking what is in effect a cash deposit before making the visa application. You suggest that you might show her the URL to link to this thread, so I assume that she has internet access, maybe she is an ICQ or IM buddy. If so she can quite easily look up the visa requirements online. Does TGF have children or parents that are directly dependent on her? If so the money might be funds to support them while your TGF is staying with you. If you can affort to say goodbye to the money without loosing sleep then fine. As another post above suggests the money might be related to debts that are due payment, if this is the case and your TGF does not tell you this it is suggestive of keeping the truth from you at the early stages of a long relationship. Or just skimming another 100,000 Baht from the current BF.

I hope the situation works out for you.

Hi

I must say the whole thing sounds very fishy indeed. The amount you are quoting is just soooo over the top its blatant. Man I can see the stitches from here about 16000 miles away!!! Well at least she has started as she means to go on!!

Get out and do it NOW!!

Regards

JOHNMARTIN

My biggest concern would be the OPs statement that he has a new job {3weeks } and lives with his parentsif i remember, i had to show utility bills, bank statements, morgage info ect,to prove that my gf would have no recourse to public funds ect, also gf owns 2 houses and a buisness and part owner in a large family fruit farm, she had all papers to prove this and visa was no problem, although she asked for a 2 month visa and stayed 5.5 months, she was refused another visa, so i sold up and came here,

Drew, i wish you all the best with this, there is nothing like a good thai wife,,,

I am from the UK and my GF had 25-30K in the bank when she applied for her visa and was a full-time student at the time. We had known each other for 3 years and both had kept most of the emails almost back to day one. We did supply a lot of fairly personal documentation like Christmas and Valentine cards, photos of my visits (esp to her home village).

One of friends (who had a lot more money in the bank) was turned down because the bank statements from her boyfriend showed that he was frequently overdrawn and they doubted that he had the ability to support her for the duration of the holiday even though he was in reqular long-term employment and I suspect earning quite a bit more than 15K GBP. They didn't have much in the way of documentation showing how long the relationship had been on-going and the embassy questioned whether she would return home. They did get the visa on their second application.

I don't hold out much hope here because of the short duration of your relationship and your lack of regular, long-term employment, but I hope I'm very wrong for your sake.

Correct form for your GFs visa is VAF1 (non settlement) which can be found on the BA website. Compile the documentation as required on the form, but as other posters have pointed out, you will require lots more proof that she can be supported while in the UK, and more importantly she has reason (incentive) to return to Thailand.

Good luck

the above is not totally hard and fast, my GF just got her visa for the UK, she has no job in los, works on the parents smallholding, i deposited 100,000baht into our joint account then copied the book, then took it out again, we have been together 7mths, nearly 4 of those in los, so maybe that helped? im not to sure, but it is possible.

As others mentioned, its not about the money. Most likely you can sponsor her or use your own finances to proove she can be taken care of while with you.

Mostly, they will just be trying to find her motives and if you make mention of your relationship, they will want to look into that to make sure its genuine.