Right on time: Phuket Immigration explain TM30 and TM28 requirements for reporting foreigners

rooster59

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, smedly said:

all this has done is add more confusion

I guess you've stayed here long enough to understand that, confusion, is the thing that going on in their brains. Immi is not the only institution regarding this.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:50 PM, smedly said:

yes that about sums it up, it is the most ridiculous cluster <deleted> I have ever experienced - you want to enjoy a weekend away from your permanent residence you will spend most of that time filling in forms, so you go to Bangkok for one night, you spend all day in traffic trying to find immigration stand in a queue for hours and file a TM28 - then do it all again if you go somewhere else, next you'll need a (deleted)ing work permit for the time you spent completing all of this

during my postgraduate training i worked with people having "downs syndrome" yes, mental retardation but they functioned at a higher level than you know who

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration this week made it very clear

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration this week made it very clear........ ........ ..... ...

One should stop reading past that.

44 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Has it ever worked? I use the reliable post office.  :thumbsup:

It worked for me 4 or 5 times then died a death.  It scored over the post office because I could do it "couch potato style" without even the effort of licking a stamp.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Only the TM 30 is required by owner.

If the owner not available to do that then the guest can do alone with TM28.

Only one required. NOT both.

Phew, that's a relief. Thanks for replying.

Hypothetical situation:-

If I get into my car and make an inter-provincial journey from my house to stay with friends in their house for the weekend and return back home without any of us even informing Immigration, they will never know - no problem, unless Immigration set up random road checkpoints for farangs throughout LOS but I do not think so!!! 

The biggest problem is the phrase "up to the discretion of each imm. officer".  It is fine to say this is the way it is in Phuket but what about Nakhon Nowhere or Chang Pie??  Every office and officer has his own ideas.  We rang our IMM Office a few weeks ago and were told mai pen rai about completing the TM30 form.  As I had nothing to that effect in writing to protect ourselves we made the long trip to our office only to find it was half full of people also lodging the TM30 who also didnt believe the officer.

2 hours ago, losername said:

According to the full article the TM28 only has to be done on returning to your home location and the TM30 is done by the person (hotel in my case) where you stay while away.

This is a revival of comedy Kappers, try even thinking to translate this into plain English and your lost.

Section 37 of the Immigration Act: 

(3) Notify the police officer at the police station of the locality jurisdiction in which the alien resides within twenty four hours from the time of moving in. In case of change of residence, if the new residence is not in the same locality jurisdiction as the locality of the former police station, the alien shall notify the police officer of the police station of the new locality jurisdiction within twenty four hours from the time of arrival.

FORM FOR ALIENS TO NOTIFY THEIR CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR THEIR STAY IN THE PROVINCE FOR OVER 24 HOURS

http://www.immigrationbangkok.com/files/visa_forms/tm28.pdf

NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED

http://www.immigrationbangkok.com/files/visa_forms/tm30.pdf

I give up !!!

3 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

So as I understand this, I did a 90 day report yesterday (TM47), and I have gone to stay at my friends for the weekend I have to complete a TM28 and my friend has to complete a TM30 within 24 hours. 

On returning home on Monday I have to complete another TM28 and my wife has to complete another TM30 within 24 hours to say I have returned?

Madness!!

Jomtien immigration told me yesterday they are not interested in trips within Thailand. They did say if you leave Thailand and return they expect a new TM 30. Just for info. Not sure which office you do your immigration stuff at.

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

In local Imm Office yesterday...wife asked about this issue....IO simply said Mai Pen Rai....so now we won't bother..not that we ever have.

That's been my strategy too. Always worked for me.

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

In local Imm Office yesterday...wife asked about this issue....IO simply said Mai Pen Rai....so now we won't bother..not that we ever have.

Same for me. They did not want me to file a tm28. I guess until they need the fine! 

"Mai Pen Rai". Three words you will NEVER EVER hear in Phuket Immigration.

2 hours ago, phetpeter said:

No need the hotel inform them you stayed 'X' number of nights, so, unless the computer flags another holel afterwards they should assume you have returned home. but, running down and telling them you are home, makes their job easier. If they wanna see ya, they can phone or visit. But, you do it for them.

Wrong. When a TM30 is filed by the hotel, it is the last TM30 on file.  They go by that and not the 24 hours  They make assumptions but not that you returned home.

And remember this is all for Phuket many other IOs do it differently.

If you stay at a hotel and they copy your passport then they will probably do the TM30 as required. By law your landlord needs to do another one when you return home. But if you go and stay at a friends or family private place and nobody does a TM30 then how the hell will immigration know?

In Chiang mai they didn't want it and had a sign up to that effect when I went there last month. I also heard the two IO on the desk separately tell two other people the same thing.

Some of you guys could settle down a little. Relax and enjoy the place. You'll live longer.

I have a question. filed a TM 30 with Kamphaeng Phet immigration back around the first of July when I arrived with a new OA for retirement so I now stay here full time, retired. Haven’t traveled. Does a TM28 come into play as a new retiree?

3 hours ago, smedly said:

exactly - they don't 

you will have to tell them and if they are unavailable you and/or your landlord will get hit with a big fine (depending of course on what office you use)

The landlord can assign an agent to act on his behalf. The Thai immigration said it's not that important who fills out the form as long as it is lodged with them

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

You need to limit your friends to those who live within your own province... ????

No thanks! Much better would be scrapping the whole TM 28/30 fiasco, or failing this a system that's easy to follow and in line with 21st century technology and thinking.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

next you'll need a (deleted)ing work permit for the time you spent completing all of this

Not as silly as it sounds.

I recall reading recently the definition of "work" being any activity involving the input of time and effort whether for reward or not (or words to that effect ) and requires a work permit !

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I just don't bother with any of them by making sure I never stay longer than 90 days... Never need to go to my local Imm office, so no issue ????

In the first place your landlord must register you. If landlord does nt then you are illegally in Thailand.

In the second place how do you manage 90 days. Tourist visa for 60 day then you need go immigration for 30 day extension.

Longer extensions need Immigration approval. 

Archived