Windows for condo. Clear or Green glass?

banagan

I'm getting new windows installed. Window guy asked if I wanted clear or green windows. It was hard to see on his example pictures the effect of the green ones. They said it was for privacy and glare or something.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've got stunning views, top floor, so, clear? Or are the green ones just a tiny hint of green?

Green eco glass is reflective of solar heat gain and gives you privacy at the same time.

From the inside it looks completely clear, from the outside it has a green tint but you cannot see in ( well you can if you are within 3m or at night if theres a light on.)

For 21bt/ft2 a shade more expensive than clear its a no brainer imo

19 hours ago, banagan said:

I'm getting new windows installed. Window guy asked if I wanted clear or green windows. It was hard to see on his example pictures the effect of the green ones. They said it was for privacy and glare or something.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've got stunning views, top floor, so, clear? Or are the green ones just a tiny hint of green?

Whatever you have installed make sure you get Low-E glass it will make a big difference, the green tint is NOT automatically low-E there are a large variety of kinds of glass available and you may be being told something that isn't true.

You can easily feel the difference between low-e and regular by putting a sample between the sun and the back of your hand.

here is a sample picture against a white sheet, you won't notice the colour after a minute or two as your eyes will adapt.

IMG_8070.thumb.JPG.e1911e6ec81d176bb0736970403c437f.JPG

On 9/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, Beggar said:

Don't forget to find out which kind of glass is allowed in your condominium complex.

Old condo, part time manager, barely managed. Building is improving, lots of units renovated over the past 2 years. Mish mash of clear and tinted glass, so not even gonna bring it up. Sounds like there's not much visible difference between the clear and the green. But thanks for the suggestion.

On 9/3/2019 at 4:42 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Whatever you have installed make sure you get Low-E glass it will make a big difference, the green tint is NOT automatically low-E there are a large variety of kinds of glass available and you may be being told something that isn't true.

You can easily feel the difference between low-e and regular by putting a sample between the sun and the back of your hand.

here is a sample picture against a white sheet, you won't notice the colour after a minute or two as your eyes will adapt.

IMG_8070.thumb.JPG.e1911e6ec81d176bb0736970403c437f.JPG

Thanks, never heard of it. Will ask windows people about it.

Archived