Maxnet For Skype Use

Jacqueline

I'm thinking of upgrading from dial-up to Maxnet ADSL 256/128 Kbps.

As this is the cheapest package

a) will I notice much difference in speed?

:o will it be fast enough to use Skype with a webcam?

Or do I need to go for a faster speed?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Jacqueline

i use maxnet and i use online chat almost every day for my oversea call and talk with my factory and bussiness partner .

my suggestion is get as high as your budget can afford .

mine is a 512 .

128 sound too low ..

good luck .

the correct mic and set up make a different also

i use a cheap mic headphone

brand "OKER " model number OE-440

you can get it at icon plaza - look around a few shop .

cost is only 99 baht work like a charm not very lasting usually spoil after about 6 month , but that is cos i alway chuck it around

I suggest you read closely the description of services in the Maxnet pamphlet. When I signed up for Maxnet service some six months ago, I signed up first for Maxnet@Home 512/256 Kbps. I was not able to use Skype. I looked again at the pamphlet and noticed there is a "limitation" noted with respect to the Maxnet@Home in general: "Limited Bandwidth for Bit Torrent/VoIP". I switched my service to Maxnet@Life 512/256 Kbps, which does not have the limitation, and since then have been able to use Skype, both with and without a webcam.

All MaxNet Home plans limit VOIP speeds to 40kbps no matter whether you go for the 256, 512 or 1024mbps service. However 40kbps does work for Skype, but it's a little laggy and definately could not support video.

As noted above, you need to get on MaxNet Life (or higher) to get uncapped VOIP speeds. Scroll to the bottom of this page for plan info:

http://www.vrmaxnet.com/vrmaxnet/

I suggest you read closely the description of services in the Maxnet pamphlet. When I signed up for Maxnet service some six months ago, I signed up first for Maxnet@Home 512/256 Kbps. I was not able to use Skype. I looked again at the pamphlet and noticed there is a "limitation" noted with respect to the Maxnet@Home in general: "Limited Bandwidth for Bit Torrent/VoIP". I switched my service to Maxnet@Life 512/256 Kbps, which does not have the limitation, and since then have been able to use Skype, both with and without a webcam.

and u pay 2350 baht per month?? thats a little pricey no?

. . . I switched my service to Maxnet@Life 512/256 Kbps, which does not have the limitation, and since then have been able to use Skype, both with and without a webcam.

It's very pricey, and I am not at all happy about it, but being able to use Skype is very important to me, and I couldn't find any other way to do it. I was not able to use Skype at all on the cheaper service.

Edited by Rasseru

. . . I switched my service to Maxnet@Life 512/256 Kbps, which does not have the limitation, and since then have been able to use Skype, both with and without a webcam.

It's very pricey, and I am not at all happy about it, but being able to use Skype is very important to me, and I couldn't find any other way to do it. I was not able to use Skype at all on the cheaper service.

It just hurts to think about. Back in the states for half that cost that its easy to get 6-8 mb down. Using comcast $33 plan for comparison.

So many things are cheaper in Thailand like food and rent but internet works about to be about 10 times + more expensive for comparable bandwidth and the states aren't even that great of a value compared to other countries like S. Korea, HK, Norway etc.

Thailand have many good point , let say Internet is not one of their strong point .

S.korea had one of the best connection in asia . due to mass user .

so is singapore .

while thailand is mroe to the profit of system lisstle is invested to for future planning .

internet here is a sorry 10 years behind .

i had better luck back years back when i am using 56k dail up .

back then i invested in a fast moderm which cost me 20,000 baht thinking of it now still give me the pitch .

in the pass you can see your download at 8-9k / sec sometime 10-12k / sec

using some program help .

here is very much the same ..

like one had said ..

paying 10 time the price but getting time time less service and standard .

mobile price and internet price is just . someo f the downside of thailand .

and o think with 70 million people in thailand and 30 million or more user you can get cheaper mobile phone call and with maybe 7 million user . which is more then singapore internet user

the price is no where near reasonable .

It just hurts to think about.

I assure you it hurts even more to live it!

Back in the states for half that cost that its easy to get 6-8 mb down.

Ah, yes, but then you would have to live in the United States, something I would, and I suppose do in the narrow sense we are discussing here, pay good money to avoid. :o

It just hurts to think about.

I assure you it hurts even more to live it!

Back in the states for half that cost that its easy to get 6-8 mb down.

Ah, yes, but then you would have to live in the United States, something I would, and I suppose do in the narrow sense we are discussing here, pay good money to avoid. :o

there are lots of nice towns to live in the states. It's not just NYC's and LA's. There are lots of amazing places like Aspen, Sedona, Taos, Telluride, Boulder, Mammoth, Mendocino, Mount Shasta, Ashville and hundreds more. There are some really stunning and pristine places to live and now most of them are have broadband.. Just not cheap as thailand. For me since I do need the bandwidth its forcing me to consider moving to another country. In Asia my choices are expensive like HK, Singapore, Korea, Japan etc or more crowded and dirty than I care for like BKK or KL, Kumming etc

So the US is looking more and more like a bargain especially for someone who appreciates outdoor activities like skiing, cycling, hiking along with lots of good bandwidth. Lots of other reasons too. Organic food, Safer roads, Equal rights laws, Good jobs.

I just wish Thailand had better bandwidth and cleaner air or I would never leave.

for the original question I have 1000 K Maxnet at home and for Skype or Asterisk VOIP its so so. Sometimes good sometimes choppy. Good enough for personal use but still a joke for real business. Its not the bandwidth as a voice channel only needs about 30k but its the latency speeds.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Aspen, Sedona, Taos, Telluride, Boulder, Mammoth, Mendocino, Mount Shasta, Ashville

the above name all i never heard before ..

the only one close is Aspen . i was thinking is a kinda of drug . that help you when you have a headache .

Aspen, Sedona, Taos, Telluride, Boulder, Mammoth, Mendocino, Mount Shasta, Ashville

the above name all i never heard before ..

the only one close is Aspen . i was thinking is a kinda of drug . that help you when you have a headache .

Ta tu tu.. Lookey here now matey.... Aspenpost-31110-1174481424_thumb.jpg post-31110-1174481455.jpgAspirin

Edited by Austhaied

there are lots of nice towns to live in the states. It's not just NYC's and LA's. There are lots of amazing places like Aspen, Sedona, Taos, Telluride, Boulder, Mammoth, Mendocino, Mount Shasta, Ashville and hundreds more. There are some really stunning and pristine places to live and now most of them are have broadband..

So the US is looking more and more like a bargain especially for someone who appreciates outdoor activities like skiing, cycling, hiking along with lots of good bandwidth. Lots of other reasons too. Organic food, Safer roads, Equal rights laws, Good jobs.

Chacun a son gout, and ours differ.

Is that teh Aspen in the Jim carry movie " DUMB AND DUMBER "

WHhahahahah ok thanks for curing my headache

Ta22... what country/city are you from?

This is my hometown Telluride Colorado

So your not in Chiangmai for the scenery then i take it... :o

Is that teh Aspen in the Jim carry movie " DUMB AND DUMBER "

WHhahahahah ok thanks for curing my headache

Ta22... what country/city are you from?

So your not in Chiangmai for the scenery then i take it... :o

no but I still like CM a lot. Great people and experience. I am leaving in June after 2 years. Unforgettable good time. Back to the mountains for a year then might try Costa Rica for a while.

The warm weather was a nice change. It snows a lot up at 3,000 meters above sea level.

Do you know Aleja? My Thai wife and I will be in Telluride again in the middle of May - along with Crested Butte, Moab, Golden, Steamboat Springs, Pine Junction (of all places) and up around Yellowstone. I lived and helicoptered that area for almost fifteen years and it is some of the most spectacular country in the world.

Been thinking bout Skype even tho I seldom do international calls. I am currently on TOT DSL at 512 and tried Yahoo chat but it was simplex and had delays which are a nuisance for any kind of normal conversation. Does Skype accomplish duplex at 512?

Do you know Aleja? My Thai wife and I will be in Telluride again in the middle of May - along with Crested Butte, Moab, Golden, Steamboat Springs, Pine Junction (of all places) and up around Yellowstone. I lived and helicoptered that area for almost fifteen years and it is some of the most spectacular country in the world.

Been thinking bout Skype even tho I seldom do international calls. I am currently on TOT DSL at 512 and tried Yahoo chat but it was simplex and had delays which are a nuisance for any kind of normal conversation. Does Skype accomplish duplex at 512?

Yes the needed bandwidth is quite small for most VOIP apps. Something on the order of max 100kps for VOIP phones like Polycoms and as little as 6kps without degradation for Skype voice only. Inconsistent high latency bandwidth causes the most problems. Par the course for Thai networks.

Sure I know Aleja. I have been in and out of massage therapy for years. She has a good private practice going. I have worked a lot of the infamous Aromatherapy spa that is run by the town crazy woman.

I really miss being able to go soak in Ouray or Orvis hotsprings. Those mineral waters are really great for health.

Telluride is getting a bit more exclusive and trendy these days with Tom Cruise etc. Still has that rough edge that is uniquely TRide. Gotta love mountain people :-)

Helicoptering? Heli skiing? I wish I could afford that? :-)

Have a great trip. Your hitting all the cool places. Don't forget about Zion and maybe Sedona.

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Went to apply for ADSL at TT&T yesterday but they told me its "full". (They said the same thing 3 months ago).

I don't know what this means and the call centre in Bangkok couldn't explain either.

We live relatively close to the city centre so I don't understand why we would have a problem joining the network. Neighbours have ADSL via TOT but I don't really want to go to the expense of changing phone companies.

Does anyone know what this means?? Are there other ways of getting ADSL without using your phone company??

Thanks

J

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Went to apply for ADSL at TT&T yesterday but they told me its "full". (They said the same thing 3 months ago).

I don't know what this means and the call centre in Bangkok couldn't explain either.

We live relatively close to the city centre so I don't understand why we would have a problem joining the network. Neighbours have ADSL via TOT but I don't really want to go to the expense of changing phone companies.

Does anyone know what this means?? Are there other ways of getting ADSL without using your phone company??

Thanks

J

Try asking at TOT if you can start a DSL on your TTT line.. For example I have a TOT phone line(my phone bill is TOT) in CM and I have TTT Maxnet service. Evidently they share infrastructure.

I'm thinking of upgrading from dial-up to Maxnet ADSL 256/128 Kbps.

As this is the cheapest package

a) will I notice much difference in speed?

:o will it be fast enough to use Skype with a webcam?

Hi,

I am using Maxnet Home 512/256.

Speaking with Skype is OK, better for me if the customer is in Europe, I have problem communicating between CNX and CNX !

Skype to Phone qualitu with France is often perfect.

No video here but yes it can be a little bit too slow for video.

Warning : Maxnet home DOES NOT PERMIT download via P2P (emule...) .. at least in my place and some of my friends place.

Cheers