Ladies Riding In Bangkok

jetz

I've been considering for quite a while in getting a scooter for my daily transport. However, I'm also concern about the safety for a lady farang riding on the heavy polluted roads of bangkok.

Any experience or advice?

For safety, It really depends on your daily route. I used to have a small Honda Dream to go to work, and it was ok, as most of the time, I was driving in small soi.

Pollution wise, it was bad. You have to wear a mask.

I don't think being a woman will matter either way (after all, Thai women ride scooters too). But it is damned dangerous, in terms of traffic accidents. If you decide to do it, a helmet is an absolute must (if you prefer to keep your brain matter inside your skull, as opposed to splattered on the pavement). And start of cautiously, on days and locations when traffic is light, as it takes time to get the hang of Thai driving and to be able to correctly anticipate the moves of other drivers, which will bear no relation at all to what you would expect back home.

You will surely be hassled by traffic police if you give them any cause, the intention being to extract a small bribe. Very common, but carefully obeying the traffic laws will avoid this. Some traffic police think they can get more than the usual small bribe off a foreigner, so don't make the mistake of thinking you can do something you shouldn't just because you see Thais doing it...the police may let the Thais go by and still stop you.

You'd also best have good health insurance. Although in a run in with a car, the driver of the car is automatically liable, there's no guarantee he will stop....or have the legally required 3rd party insurance.

As you can probably tell, I don't really think it's a very good idea, but on the other hand, I don't believe people should let fear rule their lives or carry caution to such an extreme that the quality of life suffers. You know your situation best in terms of how much benefit there'd be to your daily life. If you live way down a soi with no bus service, maybe it's worthwhile. Just be careful!

I don't think being a woman will matter either way (after all, Thai women ride scooters too). But it is damned dangerous, in terms of traffic accidents.

I agree with Sheryl. In Bkk's main road and traffic are dangerous to ride a motorbike unless you just ride in the village or short distance.

My parents don't allow me to ride it in Bkk.

It doesn't matter how careful or slowly you drive - someone else will hit you.... Everyday I think about taking my motorbike to work and then I think "is today the day some truck driver wont see me?"

It really is bloody dangerous - be super super careful and be aware of the crazy drivers around you. I would say that 9 times out of 10 it is the other drivers that cause the accidents. At least get yourself a good helmet from a proper motorbike supplies shop - don't leave your brain to be protected by a 30 dollar tesco bargain.....