Man's son cuts his tongue on glass in the food at "famous" store

webfact

Man's son cuts his tongue on glass in the food at "famous" store

4pm.jpg

Thai caption: Shard of glass in the food

Sanook reported on a Facebook post by a man called Pichet Lakdee who said that there was a shard of glass in his son's food at a famous shopping center in Lat Prao, Bangkok. 

The poster asked people what they would do, what compensation would they ask for and what would they expect the restaurant to do?

His son suffered a cut tongue. Clinics at the shopping center were already closed as it was after 8 pm and they needed to go to Phayathai 2 Hospital for treatment on Sunday. 

More than 2,500 people left comments on the Facebook page. 

The restaurant was not named probably because of Thailand's strict defamation laws - though the name of the shopping center was mentioned on the Facebook page, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-06

22 minutes ago, steven100 said:

poor kid ….hope the restaurant gives him a free burger.

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

That's probably all he'll end up getting.     Lucky things were not worst for him.

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I hear the PM will go and visit him on the 18th of September to see if he's pulling through. 

In Thailand, liability judgements are typically limited to covering the actual damage done. In this case, that would be any doctor / hospital bills. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There was a time when you took the glass out of your mouth, shrugged, and continued with your life.

He didn't have to go to hospital, he didn't even have to see a doctor.

And I guess the bleeding stopped after a minute or two.

Get over it!

agree & correct  !      ah but those days are long gone as now everyone wants to follow the US standard and sue.. sue.. sue !!   all they think of now is $$$ and what can I get out of it

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In Thailand, liability judgements are typically limited to covering the actual damage done. In this case, that would be any doctor / hospital bills. 

True ! No litigation or damages ! Corporations even when acting illegally are more important than the people they damage physically, mentally or financially !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There was a time when you took the glass out of your mouth, shrugged, and continued with your life.

Get over it!

Yes just disregard any health and safety responsibilities of the restaurant just wait till next time when some suffers internal bleeding.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, obviously there should be a standard and the standard should be enforced.

But that little bit of blood could have happend with a fish bone. <deleted> happens, accept it.

From time to time when something is not perfect in a restaurant then I tell the manager and I don't make a fuss out of it. Until now most managers were happy that I reacted like that. They apologized, maybe I got the meal for free, and case closed. Life goes on.

This guy was lucky his life goes on...glass in food is insane.. this probably resulted from somebody smashing a glass near the cooking area. High degree of negligence

Edited by richiejom
  • Like 1

I agree with OneMoreFarang. The cut was not serious. Remove glass, "get over it".

With millions of meals served daily, something like this is inevitable occasionally.

Once when my daughter was about 3 years old, she road her tricycle down the stairs to the basement (earth room as a Thai gal once said to me).

Her tongue, halfway back, was literally cut halfway across. She was hysterical, no doubt scared and in pain. Her mother and I knew that doctors could not stitch a tongue and that saliva promotes healing.

I had an old motorcycle at the time. I put her in front of me and went on some trails behind my house. She laughed and giggled, had a great time and forgot about her injury.

I put her to bed after. She woke up in the morning and her tongue was all healed.

She "got over it".

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, wreckingcountry said:

How pathetic that the store can’t be named ! Thailand laws that protect corporations not people

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As far as I am aware, there is only one famous department store in Lat Prao and it's not on the left or right. 

24 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Is there not an app to report such matters or at the very least a minister for glass and tinsel???? 

TVF is just too much fun sometimes. Great entertainment (along with the knowledge gained).

3 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

True ! No litigation or damages ! Corporations even when acting illegally are more important than the people they damage physically, mentally or financially !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes; but the other side of this coin is that corporations, or private citizens, don't have to shell out millions for instances like when grandma bought H-O-T coffee at a drive through, placed it between her legs, and drove off, scorching her twinkie! 

In the States of California, and many others, there are "deep pockets" rules. Even if only a small portion of any liability falls on it, the entity with the most money can be held liable for covering most of the damages. The company I once worked for was held financially responsible for a vehicle accident. The reason was that the driver's truck impeded the view of the fool that speed off into oncoming traffic! Our driver got caught up in it because he just wanted to hang around to see if he could help!

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

agree & correct  !      ah but those days are long gone as now everyone wants to follow the US standard and sue.. sue.. sue !!   all they think of now is $$$ and what can I get out of it

Do you not think the restaurant should be punished? I think he should get a large payout from the restaurant as this could have ended badly for him and the restaurant needs punished. I also think a million baht is small for what occurred but that's dreaming there as he maybe lucky to get a wai. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neeray said:

I agree with OneMoreFarang. The cut was not serious. Remove glass, "get over it".

With millions of meals served daily, something like this is inevitable occasionally.

To have a shard of glass is inevitable?  And what if the lad had swallowed it? 

Do you realize they would have had to cut the boy open to get the glass?

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Get over it!

Totally disagree there OMF....  What if your son / my son / anyone else son, family member or in fact anyone else at all visits the same place or any other place for that matter and cuts themselves more seriously this time..... All because the attitude was 'Get over it' rather than lets do something about this, fine the place of business and send out the message that this is not acceptable and greater measures must be taken to ensure protection of future customers. 

The only way to ensure that owners care enough to take measures to protect its customers from carelessness is to hurt them where it matters - their pocket.

If someone spills a hot coffee on themselves that's one thing, they knew it was hot, its their own fault and I don't believe there should be any compensation. But in this case, its a Glass Shard in food - I don't think 'Get over it' is the right message, it needs to be handled more seriously.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Totally disagree there OMF....  What if your son / my son / anyone else son, family member or in fact anyone else at all visits the same place or any other place for that matter and cuts themselves more seriously this time..... All because the attitude was 'Get over it' rather than lets do something about this, fine the place of business and send out the message that this is not acceptable and greater measures must be taken to ensure protection of future customers. 

The only way to ensure that owners care enough to take measures to protect its customers from carelessness is to hurt them where it matters - their pocket.

If someone spills a hot coffee on themselves that's one thing, they knew it was hot, its their own fault and I don't believe there should be any compensation. But in this case, its a Glass Shard in food - I don't think 'Get over it' is the right message, it needs to be handled more seriously.

Yes, you are right.

Maybe, probably, I should have written my post in a better way.

What I intended to write was: The son was not badly injured. He should not ask for a big compensation (like it would probably happen in the USA). 

What I didn't write, and what you correctly point out, is that this should not happen, that it should be followed up why it happend, and that it should never happen again. Every decent business owner would acknowledge that this is not acceptable and he has to make sure it does not happen again. And if an owner does not do that then the place should be closed.

• Thanks 1