Costing for glass for sliding door

Brer

I need to replace a tinted glass pane 2000mm x 1475mm in a sliding aluminum door anybody have any idea of cost?

I believe the original door came from Udon Thani, would prefer a supplier around Phon Phisai, Nong Khai or Bueng Kan if someone knows of.

Thats not as easy as it may seem. 

Glass come in standard sheet size, so you need to pay for a full sheet the nearest to your door size.

I dont want to mislead here but sheet sizes are like 8'*3' and 6'*4' and 5'*3" and 8'*5' (again those sizes are approx from faded memory)

For green tinted low emissivity 6mm you will be paying 20-25bt per ft2, so for a typical door 2mx1m you could end up needing the 8*5 sheet.

So for my example 40ft2 @ 25bt=1000bt.

When I needed glass for my house, i measured every window size and played around with it until I ended up with a bucketful of waste, then ordered 2 of this size, 3 of that size etc.

On the other hand, if its just one patio door its hardly worth hankering about for 1000bt, just get the aluminium window man to do it

Thanks for that I had visions of 20000baht based on glass that I had fitted in Australia. Cheap as chips here then. I heard of a glass place in Bueng Kan so I will pay a visit next week.

5 hours ago, Brer said:

Thanks for that I had visions of 20000baht based on glass that I had fitted in Australia. Cheap as chips here then. I heard of a glass place in Bueng Kan so I will pay a visit next week.

FWIW I have 3 door sized IGUs with laminated low-e glass on one side that are surplus as the company forgot to order the single sheet as toughened glass, the total for all three was under 30,000.

if you are putting in a  door with glass that size you really should get a toughened panel, I shudder to think of the damage that a regular pane will do if it gets broken. That is why I have the surplus IGUs.

My wife’s sister knows of someone in Phon Phisai apparently he is coming tomorrow to measure up, I prefer he does it, then any sizing problems it’s his problem. 

I am getting told it’s only a few thousand baht which makes me worried knowing the price in Australia.

The door is already in, just need the glass replaced as the missus tried to fire of a stone in a catapult at a soi dog that wandered in and it rebounded off the fence and put a hole in the glass and a couple of cracks.

So your doors work out 10k each that’s a lot of difference.

i just don’t trust many Thai tradesmen, so many are substandard and lie through their teeth, for a few thou I really don’t know what I am getting will wait and see I will insist same glass as what I have now, fingers crossed.

I got a stainless terrace fence put up and the guy said it was number one stainless after 18 months it’s absolute chit not even stainless.

A few things, just because you pay x amount in Australia doesnt mean anything. The base cost of glass and most building materials is comparable, but Aussie glaziers dont work for 1000bt a day, maybe 10,000bt a day. He probably sees you in his Ford Ranger not on his bicycle and his workshop probably costs thouands in rent.

STWW glass panels are laminated, which means there are two panes of glass and a sandwich of clear film between. This means your wife can fire catapults at you all day and the stone will not go through.

Toughened will cost you the most and is the safest up to a point. You can hit it with a hammer and it may resist for a long time, but be aware they can explode by themselves due to hairline stresses caused on cooling during the manufacture.

If your doors are at the bottom of a staircase or if you have kids running about with daddys hammer then I too would rwcommend toughened or laminated for fully glazed doors.

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

STWW glass panels are laminated, which means there are two panes of glass and a sandwich of clear film between. This means your wife can fire catapults at you all day and the stone will not go through.

Actually they are IGUs so the outer two panels have a 1.52mm PVB layer then an argon fill and an inner single toughened pane.

they are Clear Float Glass 4 mm + PVB 1.52 + Clear Low E 4 mm + Argon 8 mm + Clear Tempered Glass 5 mm

The benefits include not needing monkey bars on the doors and windows as the very thick PVB laminate layer between the double 4mm panes means that getting through is extremely difficult and if broken will hold together, the 5mm Tempered glass inner pane adds a different resonance so reducing sound even more and in the event of someone managing to run into or fall hard into it not killing them 

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Toughened will cost you the most and is the safest up to a point. You can hit it with a hammer and it may resist for a long time, but be aware they can explode by themselves due to hairline stresses caused on cooling during the manufacture.

The benefit of Tempered glass is not so much in its resistance to breaking but the fact that if it does break you will not have sharp daggers of glass but many small pieces that will not cut your throat and kill you.

3 hours ago, Brer said:

So your doors work out 10k each

No they don't as I said under 30,000 that is 9 panes laminate and IGU (double glazing in common terms) two of them are 748mm X 1996mm and weigh about 48kg just for the IGUs they cost about 9,000

So a single 5mm tempered glass pane is likely to cost somewhere around 4,000 or under for a similar 1.5sqm size. But it must be measured precisely and ordered as you can not cut the glass after it has been tempered.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

So I take it what I have now is just some ordinary window glass that has been tinted as the hole which is the the size of a one baht coin with a few cracks running of it shows no evidence of being layered and appears to be about 3mm thick.

Being Thailand I am still waiting for the turkey to show up who was going to be here first thing this morning, it’s now 1.10pm.