Brand names in malls - do they have fake products?

cerox

Hello guys,

I thought many of you have been here longer than me to answer me a simple question.

I bought a Adidas sports bag, shoes and other brand products in Germany. Quality is fine and they last for years. They are made in Asia by cheap labor but this is not the topic here.

In the last year I bought similar products in Chiang Mai in normal shopping mall brand shops, here three examles:

- Adidas shoes, broke down after 4 months, usually last me many years

- Adidas bag, broke down after 2 months

- American Eagle, about 6 T-Shirts, 3 of them (which I have been wearing) after about 30 washes they are just <deleted> and do not fit anymore around the collarbone etc. like they have become wider.

Cannot be about my washing machine here; products I brought from Europe are fine.

So I thought these brand names like Adidas/American Eagle and others and imported from Germany/US etc. - but essentially they are all manufactured in Asia. Of course I also pay more for them here but it is convenient. It should be the same product. But after many experiences (example above) I start to think if they sell the real stuff in the mall  or if its fake or if it is B-ware which I would get very cheap elsewhere.

What is your opinion and your experiences on that? Or have you similar experiences and just buy your clothing when visiting your home country?

Asia is notorious for copies of just about anything.

It's up to the buyer to determine as there are little to no controls, although there are quite regular reports of ,"busts" for interlectual property rights, trademark infringements etc.

Bottom line, you can make reasonable checks but it's not always guaranteed that anything is at it seems, the price will usually be the best guide as to originality, but not always.

• Like 1

Charlie,

you are right, thank you for your reply. I am really talking about stuff bought in malls. We can all agree that the street stuff is counterfeit and so is the price there much lower. But the mall staff is normal priced, so usually a bit more than in the country of origin because of import tax or whatever.

yes I think they are fake as about twelve years ago about     four friends bought a few items and I noticed the lad         serving went into the room  behind his counter? he          came back with what was asked for?  all were fake.            Mikes shopping Mall. buy via internet and get it sent

here or buy when on holiday. 

Edited by zoza
sticky key

the time, back in 2014, when at Mikes Pattaya was raided... 

- best ever and only time (a cople of hours) that something interesting happened (for the good) on Beach Rd

a couple of 5 ton container covered trucks were needed to take it all away

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Asia is notorious for copies of just about anything.

It's up to the buyer to determine as there are little to no controls, although there are quite regular reports of ,"busts" for interlectual property rights, trademark infringements etc.

Bottom line, you can make reasonable checks but it's not always guaranteed that anything is at it seems, the price will usually be the best guide as to originality, but not always.

interlectual - LOL

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, cerox said:

In the last year I bought similar products in Chiang Mai in normal shopping mall brand shops, here three examles:

- Adidas shoes, broke down after 4 months, usually last me many years

- Adidas bag, broke down after 2 months

- American Eagle, about 6 T-Shirts, 3 of them (which I have been wearing) after about 30 washes they are just <deleted> and do not fit anymore around the collarbone etc. like they have become wider.

Oh, my heart bleeds for people buying designer stuff !

• Like 1

Two factors here. The first one in that there ARE fare products on the shelfs and the second one is that the quality of the washing powder. I had T-shirts that looked like brand new after a year washing in US, and got ruined by local washing.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.

The washing powder is an interesting point. However only for the shirts, not for shoes or bags, which (some of them) I really think were fake. Must be a good revenue for the sales manager to mix in some fake stuff to sell to "stupid tourists". I am not generalizing - but with some items it feels like that.

For the washing I use a front loading machine and buy normal mid-ranged priced washing powder. It only happened to some items of clothing, others were unaffected with the same washing routine.

I never use laundry services when traveling.

Like I said I do not want to generalize.

I have some adidas trousers and sport shirts here (also from Malls in Chiang Mai, sometimes the same stores) which I have bought here 3 years ago and they are still good. But then some others which just basically break down after 2-6 months. I suppose there is not much law enforcement if someone really sells some fake items within good ones.

Really have to start buy certain clothing mainly back home.

19 minutes ago, LiMax said:

Two factors here. The first one in that there ARE fare products on the shelfs and the second one is that the quality of the washing powder. I had T-shirts that looked like brand new after a year washing in US, and got ruined by local washing.

I think Mr Cerox washed them all here, in same powder and machine.

The entire fourth floor of Future Park Mall,Rangsit is all counterfeit goods, from software, games, Iphones, IPADS, clothes, handbags, you name it. I can remember every once in a while the vendors would get tipped off a raid was coming and simply close down their gates and lock the place up for the day. 

Interesting question.

I think it's safe to say that if you buy a brand name product from the official retail store,

the likelihood of it being fake is minimal.

"Dealer" shops are a different thing altogether - the chances of knock-offs increases exponentially.

In all the years I lived in Thailand, I have bought Adidas from 1 shop only - Dilok, 3/F MBK.

They have been around for years and most of my Adidas shoes bought from there have lasted 2 years or more.

22 hours ago, cerox said:

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.

The washing powder is an interesting point. However only for the shirts, not for shoes or bags, which (some of them) I really think were fake. Must be a good revenue for the sales manager to mix in some fake stuff to sell to "stupid tourists". I am not generalizing - but with some items it feels like that.

For the washing I use a front loading machine and buy normal mid-ranged priced washing powder. It only happened to some items of clothing, others were unaffected with the same washing routine.

I never use laundry services when traveling.

Some years back I bought a pair of Adidas sneakers only to split after a couple months had a piece glued over it to stop it tearing further only for the second shoe to go as well....disgusted I headed back to Robinsons in BKK they had no idea what to do with it....to cut a long story short I had the shoes replaced by Adidas took 6 weeks but I did get a brand new pair....If you think you have a defective brand name item take it back if they wont replace demand to speak to the manufacturer, they would have a sales and marketing department then you will quickly learn if they are fake or real....