Jump to content

Compact Camera Vs. Smartphone? Please Help


Stubby

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

There are no mobile phones with a 1” sensor. Your 1” sensor size requirement limits your choice of point n shoot. The Sony RX 100 iv has a 1” sensor but it doesn’t come cheap. To get your sensor, you are looking at $1000 ++.

mobiles are improving with each new release but, at the moment, you will not get the freedom of Av or Tv. They do produce specific lenses, I.e. wide angle, telephoto but there is no actual adjustment capabilities.

If you really want all that you have listed, you will need to splurge a bit and buy, either the Sony RX 100iv or the Canon G7X iii.

You can get some decent mirrorless cameras now for around $500 but you will also need a lens. Worth looking at though as the kit could come to less than a point n shoot.

cheers

 

oops....for some reason I thought you stipulated a 1” sensor. Best of luck anyway mate.

Thank you, ianezy0, all good points 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, malibukid said:

i suggest you look  at Panasonic LX10 or Sony RX100-4 or 5 series of compacts.  smartphones can not compete with compacts optics and zoom range, IQ.  plan on spending between $550-1k.  i have a Panny LX5 and love it.  you could find these on Ebay as well.  check out Digital Preview

Thanks, Malibukid. I'm not going anywhere near $1000, though, so at least that narrows my choices down 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

Just as a bit of background I have been an amateur photographer for over 60 years and currently one film SLR, three DSLRs, a variety of lenses, and several point and shoot cameras.

 

The best camera is the one you have with you.  Smart phone cameras are great because you almost always have one with you.  They do, however, have big limits.

 

Their sensitivity is limited by the small size of the sensor, causing them to use high ISO values, which causes visible noise.

 

Most don't zoom mechanically but some do use a couple of cameras with different focal lengths.

 

You need a holder to mount a phone on a tripod.

 

You can usually find an application that will extend the capabilities such as extending the exposure time or settings for white balance.

 

For the type of images you are shooting I would recommend a point and shoot camera with a zoom lens.  The image quality won't match a full sized DSLR but the image quality is more than good enough and having a small light weight all in one camera is great for travel.

 

So called 1" cameras don't have a sensor anywhere near 1" in size.  They are about 13.2 mm x 8.8 mm in size with a diagonal of 0.46 inch.  They are still tiny sensors but probably better than what is in a cell phone.

 

If you want to go more advanced then look a Micro Four Thirds (18 mm × 13.5 mm (22.5 mm = 1" diagonal) sensor camera.  DX or APS-C DSLR or mirrorless cameras have a sensor that is larger than a Micro Four Thirds sensor, Full frame cameras have an even larger sensor equal to the size of a 35 mm film frame.

 

Read reviews and compare the cameras with what you want at this Digital Photography Review site.  Start with the best bargain cameras then check the ones for each price range that is within your budget.

 

BEST CAMERAS AND LENSES - 2019 DPREVIEW BUYING GUIDES

 

One example of a great bargain in this buying guide is the Nikon D3500 w/18-55 lens.  This is an entry level 24.2 MP DX DSLR with the 18-55 mm general purpose kit lens.  The $446 listed price is for the USA but I just found it on Lazada for between 12,850 Bt and 15,670 Bt.

Thanks, HarrySeaman.

 

You confirmed what I thought was the case and others have since agreed.  I even saw a YouTube video from a camera store that pretty much said no one but grandparents bother with compacts these days. It seems that these people are wrong going by the limitations of smartphone cameras.

 

There seems to be a strong market for compacts from what I’ve read here over the last 24 hours. After all, they're phones and internet browsers first, and camera second, I guess. I do plan to keep things simple, though, and stay away from DSLRs 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a Sony DSC HX70, 80 or 90 Superzoom. Have the 70 (few years old). So small and light, but with a 30x optical zoom (28mm-720mm). The lens is Zeiss! Best compact camera ever...IMO. I've used alot of Canon and they're excellent...but for price, features, quality, size, weight and zoom...this cam tops all. Fits in nearly any pocket. :thumbsup:

 

(I also have a new Canon (bridge camera) SX70 HS Superzoom, which is much larger with much longer zoom. 65x optical zoom (28mm-1365mm). But for most photos, unless shooting something extremely far off, still grab the Sony most times! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice would be to look at a "bridge" camera that sits between a compact and a full DSLR. You will get an optical zoom (far better than digital zoom that merely crops the image), better quality optics, a larger sensor for recording a more detailed image and a wider range of apertures and speeds than a camera phone.

 

Whilst many camera phones are boasting 12mp or 15mp or 20mp the true quality is not there when you come to manipulate or enlarge the images due to the minute camera lens and sensor (and should you ever want to print off anything larger than 6x4 forget it).

 

I have been running a Lumix/Panasonic FZ200 since I found my Fuji S2Pro and lenses too heavy and cumbersome to lug around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Look for an Olymus or Lumix kit M4/3 rig. You can get them with decent kit lenses, they are small and when you want to expand, you an go lens first, up to Leica 400mm pro lenses.

 

I dont use Sony because I am used to Lumix interface. use a G9 Lumix. Its not what you want, too big and too many features and too expensive. But any lens I can buy (and I have the Pro lenses) you can stick on your Oly or Pentax above. I prefer Zoom Camera in MBK for my camera shopping in Bangkok, in the USA I use Amazon, B&H and Adorama.  expect to pay $500 USD for a useful kit..Too bad you arent in the USA, G85 Lumixs (an older semi pro model and very handy) are being heavily discounted.

 

This is one I did from the hip. I love Bangkok.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/bangkok-thailandseptember-7-2019-personal-electric-1498444598

 

 

Very disappointed. I was expecting a selfie leg over behind a dumpster at Maccas on the corner of soi 4 Sukhumvit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Get a Sony DSC HX70, 80 or 90 Superzoom. Have the 70 (few years old). So small and light, but with a 30x optical zoom (28mm-720mm). The lens is Zeiss! Best compact camera ever...IMO. I've used alot of Canon and they're excellent...but for price, features, quality, size, weight and zoom...this cam tops all. Fits in nearly any pocket. :thumbsup:

 

(I also have a new Canon (bridge camera) SX70 HS Superzoom, which is much larger with much longer zoom. 65x optical zoom (28mm-1365mm). But for most photos, unless shooting something extremely far off, still grab the Sony most times! 

That's something to think about, Skeptic7, thanks 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Look at the Panasonic DC-TZ220GA-S 

Power Buy has it for 14,998 baht.  I believe this pocket camera meets your criteria. 

Thank you, Shouldhaveknownbetter, another one to look into 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

That's something to think about, Skeptic7, thanks 😉

Sure...has an EVF...burst mode up to 10 fps...image stabilization. It's actually a compact bridge camera. Here's a few snaps I've taken with it...all hand held.

 

843414758_DSC04932_edited(2)a.jpg.21f82de98451df208f8fb64ce0c620ad.jpg

 

1516473461_DSC00289(Large).JPG.fcdc3a1060349778940eb0d56cdcd2d9.JPG

 

 

677138317_DSC05340_edited_edited1_editedbluegreen(Large)c.jpg.e3d5fdd5a49148a78d82865fd8fdc317.jpg

 

160036902_DSC05369_edited(Large).jpg.8a235f3d307bbc9db07b3662e87661cf.jpg

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a Huawei last winter and it takes fantastic pics, lots of things on it, you can shoot black and white, which I love. You can change the lighting, colours. I would have liked a better zoom, but I love it. I don’t want to carry two objects around with me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a Sony hx9v till it drown when I slipped into a mud puddle a few years ago. I mainly make YouTube videos and was used to operating the camera with one hand, point and shoot. I tried an older smart phone my daughter gave me to use, but found it not suitable, hard to keep steady, difficult to operate even with 2 hands. After watching YT videos comparing the various models of Sony rx100's, in addition to rx100m3 vs hx90v,  currently thinking about getting an rx100m3 if still available.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, geisha said:

I bought a Huawei last winter and it takes fantastic pics, lots of things on it, you can shoot black and white, which I love. You can change the lighting, colours. I would have liked a better zoom, but I love it. I don’t want to carry two objects around with me.

While agreed that phones are amazing these days and photos of landscapes, some close ups and general picture taking can be as good and possibly better in dim light, than a point and shoot camera...not gonna get the pix like I posted above with a phone, nor like the ones below. These hawk moths are tiny and the pix are hand held from 4-6 meters.

..

374138876_DSC06148_edited(Large).jpg.582db413f0877f1e560bc227d1cf2c64.jpg

 

DSC06037_edited_edited.jpg.a7baa7539fe00e9251fec8c1a1f9e815.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aloha,

As a semi-pro photographer, I've used Canon DSLR's for a long time.  I sold my big Mark II and all the lenses.  I now shoot with a Samsung Galaxy S10+.  Three lenses.  Shoot with tripod.  Also, shoot in 4K.  I use the timer, and can say:  "Shoot" and it takes the picture.  I use "Pro" mode, and change the aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

 

Now ... I am starting to shoot a lot at night, and now miss my full frame camera.  My dinky Canon G10 and G12 point-and-shoot are not doing it for me.  So, I am considering a Canon M50. Reasonable in price.  About $695.00 here in USA.

 

By the way .... I am a Big YouTuber -- with multiple channels.  My Maui Travel Videos channel has over 35K Views, and I only shoot with the Galaxy S10+.  I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for my back-up.  I use an external lavalier microphone, and several ND filters.

 

It just depends on what you want to do.  As a YouTuber, I am very good with Smartphones.  You can even sell on Shutterstock and other stock photography sites.  I also use a Zhiyun Smooth 4 Gimbal.  Quite nice and don't have big lenses and big body to carry with me on my travels.

 

Just some insight here.  Either way is good.

 

Best wishes and shooting.  Remember -- it's not about the equipment.  It's about your ability to frame an image that tells a story.

 

Good Luck.  Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites

By reading the list of functions you use I think you need a real camera. However,  Ive been getting great results with Samsung note 4, S8+ S7 High quality resolution and great video with remarkably good sound. I travel round Thailand and mix with photographed and videographers. Even the pros with two cameras use their camers phones. I cant recomend them highly enough. Also you stand out less , are less intrusive when you use a camera phone. I now shoot a vid, edit it, then up load it in the field due to phone wifi ability 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a Sony fan and last year I have been using Sony A6000. 

I want to be in control of the settings and I use bracketing (for HDR) a lot, I use changing ISO, always contolling time and opening. 

 

The Sony A6000 is well known for its fast focusing and 95% of my shots are very sharp. 

 

Link to Sony: Sony A6000

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, SteveInBKKandMAUI said:

Aloha,

As a semi-pro photographer, I've used Canon DSLR's for a long time.  I sold my big Mark II and all the lenses.  I now shoot with a Samsung Galaxy S10+.  Three lenses.  Shoot with tripod.  Also, shoot in 4K.  I use the timer, and can say:  "Shoot" and it takes the picture.  I use "Pro" mode, and change the aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

 

Now ... I am starting to shoot a lot at night, and now miss my full frame camera.  My dinky Canon G10 and G12 point-and-shoot are not doing it for me.  So, I am considering a Canon M50. Reasonable in price.  About $695.00 here in USA.

 

By the way .... I am a Big YouTuber -- with multiple channels.  My Maui Travel Videos channel has over 35K Views, and I only shoot with the Galaxy S10+.  I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for my back-up.  I use an external lavalier microphone, and several ND filters.

 

It just depends on what you want to do.  As a YouTuber, I am very good with Smartphones.  You can even sell on Shutterstock and other stock photography sites.  I also use a Zhiyun Smooth 4 Gimbal.  Quite nice and don't have big lenses and big body to carry with me on my travels.

 

Just some insight here.  Either way is good.

 

Best wishes and shooting.  Remember -- it's not about the equipment.  It's about your ability to frame an image that tells a story.

 

Good Luck.  Steve

Thanks, Steve 😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

By reading the list of functions you use I think you need a real camera.

I think you're right, SunnyBoy2018. After all, there's a reason why 'real cameras' are still around despite the developments in smartphone optics and functions. Some will remember when first electronic all-singing, all-dancing musical keyboards came about. People said then that they'd be death of guitars and other instruments. They never were. The right tools for the right job, springs to mind. It's going to be a camera for me 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, XJ650 said:

I am a Sony fan and last year I have been using Sony A6000. 

I want to be in control of the settings and I use bracketing (for HDR) a lot, I use changing ISO, always contolling time and opening. 

 

The Sony A6000 is well known for its fast focusing and 95% of my shots are very sharp. 

 

Link to Sony: Sony A6000

NIce camera, XJ650, but I couldn't justify its price tag 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, Skeptic7 said:

While agreed that phones are amazing these days and photos of landscapes, some close ups and general picture taking can be as good and possibly better in dim light, than a point and shoot camera...not gonna get the pix like I posted above with a phone, nor like the ones below. These hawk moths are tiny and the pix are hand held from 4-6 meters.

..

374138876_DSC06148_edited(Large).jpg.582db413f0877f1e560bc227d1cf2c64.jpg

 

DSC06037_edited_edited.jpg.a7baa7539fe00e9251fec8c1a1f9e815.jpg

Hi Skeptic7,
That's a great couple of photos of the Hummingbird Hawk Moth. I've always wanted to film one of those but never had the chance.
Is there any favoured location in Thailand where you're likely to encounter them? Or any tips on finding them?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use to have a Sony RX100 when the first version was released, back then those cameras take amazing pics and smart phones have not caught up yet. But nowadays, phones have caught up and take pics just as good.

 

It really depends if you enjoy adjustments and taking pics as a hobby vs taking a good picture fast and move on. I notice smart phones have the ability to take pics in the dark fast compare to cameras where you have to adjust settings etc etc to get a shot as good as a smart phone. The program on the smart phone makes adjustments fast, its superior to a cameras "auto mode".

 

It also depends how often you will use your camera, I use mine only 2-3x per year during travels only. So its not worth upgrading for a better camera, so I stick with my smart phone.

 

So if you have a passion for taking pics, of course go with a camera - you already have a smart phone.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I use to have a Sony RX100 when the first version was released, back then those cameras take amazing pics and smart phones have not caught up yet. But nowadays, phones have caught up and take pics just as good.

 

It really depends if you enjoy adjustments and taking pics as a hobby vs taking a good picture fast and move on. I notice smart phones have the ability to take pics in the dark fast compare to cameras where you have to adjust settings etc etc to get a shot as good as a smart phone. The program on the smart phone makes adjustments fast, its superior to a cameras "auto mode".

 

It also depends how often you will use your camera, I use mine only 2-3x per year during travels only. So its not worth upgrading for a better camera, so I stick with my smart phone.

 

So if you have a passion for taking pics, of course go with a camera - you already have a smart phone.

 

 

Thanks for your feedback, Mike 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, katana said:

Hi Skeptic7,
That's a great couple of photos of the Hummingbird Hawk Moth. I've always wanted to film one of those but never had the chance.
Is there any favoured location in Thailand where you're likely to encounter them? Or any tips on finding them?

Thanks. Not sure of any "hot spots" but they are seen throughout the Kingdom. My pix were taken in late May of this year in Kanchanaburi province. Very rural area with alot of natural habitat around. We have lots of plants and flowers and a large "butterfly garden", which attracts many species. Flowers Flowers Flowers would be my advice. Hope you get your pics and vids! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I agree with the poster who said the best camera is the one you have with you.

 

You always have your smartphone with you....

 

You have said you are not a "pro" photographer, and I can vouch for absolutely fantastic pictures taken with smartphones.

 

Regarding features, you can most if not all of the features you need on smartphones nowadays.

 

If your "stock" camera app on your phone does not have the feature you need, you can always download another app from Google Playstore which has the feature you need (free).

 

I just checked my phone, a Huawei YMax, for features, and posted one of the screens below.

 

It has a lot more photography features, though! 

 

A great phone, with the added benefit of it having the largest screen in the world (7.12 inches), so easy to see what the picture looks like after you've taken it (not so easy on a tiny camera screen).

 

Sorry, I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it was not that expensive, as I recall.

 

Good Luck!

 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20190929-222954.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Using a real camera over a smartphone gives you many benefits but as mentioned smartphone cameras have come a long way lately, some even have 3-4 lenses on the back! 

But for me the user experience using a smartphone camera is not very satisfying, I like my viewfinder and the real cameras got all the dials and bottoms handy for quick adjustments.

I currently have a Sony RX100 mk3 and an old Fuji XPro1 (bought used). The RX100 is so small it can handy fit in a belt-bag and takes quite good photos. I also have a Fuji X100T(also bought used) that is a real enthusiast camera, fixed non zoom lens but boy this camera can take some nice photos and just using it, puts a smile on my face each time.

You can save quite a lot of money buying 2nd hand photo gear but be very careful if you go this way, cameras are delicate electronic units and are often not worth repairing if they go bad.

Below a heavily down seized photo from my 1:1 Tamron manual focus lens bought real cheap 2nd hand (app 130$)

image.jpeg.20998b2e13929245ef67f00f964ade8d.jpeg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I use Fuji's and it has put the fun back into photography for me, small and portable compared to DSLR's, brilliant image quality and can be had for great secondhand prices. 18-55mm kit lens is a great value walkaround lens.

 

Shot below x100T jpeg straight out of camera

DSCF1008.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Quote

Here are the kind of features I would use:

 

  • Wide/telephoto zoom
  • Long timed exposure control
  • Aperture priority
  • Shutter priority
  • Shutter speed control
  • Timer and remote shutter release
  • Program and manual modes
  • Ability to mount onto a tripod

 

Why not buy Olympus EM10 mark iii? It has all the features you're looking for and its very handy with lots of lens selection to choose from. I actually owns one and its a great mirrorless SLR camera. 

 

(I'm planning to upgrade for a full frame camera so if you want, i can sell my camera to you on a friendly price ^^)

 

Below are my photos at Shutterstock.

 

https://www.shutterstock.com/it/image-photo/old-wall-fortress-south-korea-1551340556?src=6f14183e-4cd4-4c2c-93a0-1310e09dc0c4-1-4

old-wall-fortress-south-korea-600w-15513

 

 

https://www.shutterstock.com/it/image-photo/old-rusty-rail-track-that-forms-1285737943?src=5daa7ffc-708d-4917-acf1-743131f59c45-1-47

old-rusty-rail-track-that-600w-128573794

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jun2x said:

 

Why not buy Olympus EM10 mark iii? It has all the features you're looking for and its very handy with lots of lens selection to choose from. I actually owns one and its a great mirrorless SLR camera. 

 

(I'm planning to upgrade for a full frame camera so if you want, i can sell my camera to you on a friendly price ^^)

 

Below are my photos at Shutterstock.

 

https://www.shutterstock.com/it/image-photo/old-wall-fortress-south-korea-1551340556?src=6f14183e-4cd4-4c2c-93a0-1310e09dc0c4-1-4

old-wall-fortress-south-korea-600w-15513

 

 

https://www.shutterstock.com/it/image-photo/old-rusty-rail-track-that-forms-1285737943?src=5daa7ffc-708d-4917-acf1-743131f59c45-1-47

old-rusty-rail-track-that-600w-128573794

 

Thanks, Jun2x, but I already bought my camera. It's a Panasonic Lumix something-or-other. Can't comment on it yet as it's still in the box 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...