Compact Camera Vs. Smartphone? Please Help

Stubby

12 hours ago, Stubby said:

Thanks, Jun2x, but I already bought my camera. It's a Panasonic Lumix something-or-other. Can't comment on it yet as it's still in the box ????

Oh great! Panasonic lumix uses micro four thirds lenses (M43/MFT) too. Its interchangeable with Olympus lenses. Enjoy shooting soon.

BTW, do you shoot RAW format or are you familiar with Raw format? If not, i highly recommend to shoot using the setting RAW + Jpeg at first and learn how to post process your Raw images using free software such as DARKTABLE (instead of Adobe LightRoom which you need to pay subscription). I'm still in the learning process of this software and I'm so please with it so far.

Edited by Jun2x
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jun2x said:

Oh great! Panasonic lumix uses micro four thirds lenses (M43/MFT) too. Its interchangeable with Olympus lenses. Enjoy shooting soon.

BTW, do you shoot RAW format or are you familiar with Raw format? If not, i highly recommend to shoot using the setting RAW + Jpeg at first and learn how to post process your Raw images using free software such as DARKTABLE (instead of Adobe LightRoom which you need to pay subscription). I'm still in the learning process of this software and I'm so please with it so far.

Thanks, Jun2x. I haven't taken any photos yet, but I have heard that raw shooting offers superior image quality and manipulation. I have no idea how much better it is, but I will definitely give it a go. Thanks for the link to DARKTABLE. I will download it today and explore the features ????

48 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Thanks, Jun2x. I haven't taken any photos yet, but I have heard that raw shooting offers superior image quality and manipulation. I have no idea how much better it is, but I will definitely give it a go. Thanks for the link to DARKTABLE. I will download it today and explore the features ????

Technically, a RAW image is a minimally processed image straight from your camera, hence, the name "RAW". JPEG on the other hand (in simple terms) the camera already processed it for you (but not that excellent) ????  

So, how to make your photo look superb? We follow what the professional photographers do and shoot RAW formats then process it using photo editing softwares such as the Darktable. ???? Although the final image quality of RAW formats will actually depend on your post-processing skills, but in the long run once you already have that "skills" I'm sure you would never shoot JPEG formats again. ????

See link below:

https://www.darktable.org/ 

6 hours ago, Jun2x said:

Technically, a RAW image is a minimally processed image straight from your camera, hence, the name "RAW". JPEG on the other hand (in simple terms) the camera already processed it for you (but not that excellent) ????  

So, how to make your photo look superb? We follow what the professional photographers do and shoot RAW formats then process it using photo editing softwares such as the Darktable. ???? Although the final image quality of RAW formats will actually depend on your post-processing skills, but in the long run once you already have that "skills" I'm sure you would never shoot JPEG formats again. ????

See link below:

https://www.darktable.org/ 

I'm looking forward to trying, Jun2x ????

On 9/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, Stubby said:

Nice photos, Nyezhov ???? Your suggestions are a little out of my budget, though. I'm thinking more along the lines of 12-15,000 Baht max. I can afford more, but I don't take enough photos to justify cameras over 20,000B.

It would be interesting to know what kind of photo you prefer to take;
street photo,
portrait,
macro,
pictures at the tele-objective,
ultra wide angle,
landscapes,
moving vehicles ...
night photos,
There are so many types of photos ...

I think that in the coming years a smartphone will make as beautiful pictures as current cameras,
but we are not there yet.
I would also like to know what you intend to do with the photos taken.
Watch them on a computer or smartphone screen or make prints up to A2 or larger, why not?

Depending on your answers, it will be easier to advise you.

Personally I own a G85 Lumix ( Panasonic )  and kit zoom sold with 14-42;
I also have a Canon 70 D with some very interesting zooms;
With 10-22, I mainly photograph landscapes and architecture; zoom very useful in Thailand in most Wat or recoil is often impossible.
I also have a zoom 70 - 300 and another even closer, the 100 - 400.
These are all Canon zoom

By cons I do not have a smartphone so can not tell you what to think.

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It would be interesting to know what kind of photo you prefer to take;
street photo,
portrait,
macro,
pictures at the tele-objective,
ultra wide angle,
landscapes,
moving vehicles ...
night photos,
There are so many types of photos ...

I think that in the coming years a smartphone will make as beautiful pictures as current cameras,
but we are not there yet.
I would also like to know what you intend to do with the photos taken.
Watch them on a computer or smartphone screen or make prints up to A2 or larger, why not?

Depending on your answers, it will be easier to advise you.

Personally I own a G85 Lumix ( Panasonic )  and kit zoom sold with 14-42;
I also have a Canon 70 D with some very interesting zooms;
With 10-22, I mainly photograph landscapes and architecture; zoom very useful in Thailand in most Wat or recoil is often impossible.
I also have a zoom 70 - 300 and another even closer, the 100 - 400.
These are all Canon zoom

By cons I do not have a smartphone so can not tell you what to think.

Thanks for your response, Assurancetourix.

I will snap at anything if I think it makes a decent shot. I quite like low-light shots and photos or people, places, or things at unusual angles. BTW, I've since bought a budget-end camera (Panasonic lumix), though I'm yet to take it out of the box and get snapping ???? 

Best regards,

Stubby

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, folks.

I haven’t done much with the camera, yet, but here are a handful of pics taken recently. I made a few buying blunders, but overall, I’m quite happy with the Panasonic DC-GF10 (also GX850). I think it needs a prime, fixed focal length lens to shine, though.

Stubby

SereneLake-NewHouses.jpg

SereneLake-SunSet.jpg

SLTwilight2.jpg

SLTwilight4.jpg

SLTwilight8.jpg

• Like 2