Opening A Thai A Bank Account On A Non Imm O Visa.

Hi all, please if someone knows, can i set up a basic Thai bank account on a non immagrant 'o' visa? I live in Bangkok by onut BTS station, if i could open one would there be a bank close to hear where i could do it? Any advice would be fantastic. Many thanks Chris.

Yes you can, take your pick of banks in your area.

Naka.

Hi all, please if someone knows, can i set up a basic Thai bank account on a non immagrant 'o' visa? I live in Bangkok by onut BTS station, if i could open one would there be a bank close to hear where i could do it? Any advice would be fantastic. Many thanks Chris.

Chris,

Bangkok Bkk seem to make life easy with just a passport and initial deposit. Immediate ATM card given etc. I think there is a branch somewhere near the end of Soi 81.

John

get a taxi to the bangkok bank, soi 16 on suk 77.you cannt miss it right on the corner.

after entering the bank, take the stairs on the rh side and go upstairs.

take your passport with you, they will photocopy it.

very helpful in there.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice, i have a vaild passport, vaild visa, proof of address etc, with what youv'e all given me it sounds like i've got no prob's.

Once again thanks.

Chris.

Right ... and if the first bank refuses, just walk down the road to another bank.

Eventually you will succeed. :o

By the way ... try to look respectable, and leave the teerak (current girlfriend) outside.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Chris,

Bangkok Bkk seem to make life easy with just a passport and initial deposit. Immediate ATM card given etc. I think there is a branch somewhere near the end of Soi 81.

John

BANGKOK BANK SUKHUMVIT, old me NO WORK PERMIT NO ACCOUNT!!! BANK OF AYUDHYA in Pattaya was helpful and gave account on tourist visa only, and SCB gave me an account when showed 1yr condo contract

Unless she is hi-so thai-chinese or some khun ying - then you could get whatever account you want, whereever !

This definitely works...

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice, i have a vaild passport, vaild visa, proof of address etc, with what youv'e all given me it sounds like i've got no prob's.

Once again thanks.

Chris.

Right ... and if the first bank refuses, just walk down the road to another bank.

Eventually you will succeed. :o

By the way ... try to look respectable, and leave the teerak (current girlfriend) outside.

Naka.

A question, bit off topic but I don't want to start a new thread just for the sake of a yes or no answer.

For about 12 years I had a bank account (savings) with Thai Farmers bank. I left LoS almost exactly three years ago leaving the account with about 75 Baht in it.

My question is; Is it still there? The account not the 75 Baht (I'm not that hard up). Will I be able to reactivate it on my return or will I have to open a new account?

A question, bit off topic but I don't want to start a new thread just for the sake of a yes or no answer.

For about 12 years I had a bank account (savings) with Thai Farmers bank. I left LoS almost exactly three years ago leaving the account with about 75 Baht in it.

My question is; Is it still there? The account not the 75 Baht (I'm not that hard up). Will I be able to reactivate it on my return or will I have to open a new account?

Suck it and see ! Still got the passbook ?

Naka.

Bet you got nothing and have to start again. HAHA. I had one for 18 years not used for about 5 years with 2500Baht Balance. Went in last year with passbook to put more money in and ACCOUNT DID NOT EXIST.

Seems all funny things happened with the name change. The rule of Thailand only have invested what you can afford to lose applies to Bank Accounts too in LOSThai

If account is not used for a year it goes dormant - beleive similar with other thai bank accounts - if account hasnt been closed then you can get it activated again

You might want to give +66 2888 8800 a call - press number for representative and if you call during business hours Thai time should get put through to someone who can speak decent english. I have found the service to be excellent and have had quite serious problems resolved over the phone from outside of Thailand - nice !

HTH

Thanks all for the replies. All I have with me is the ATM card, can't remember the account number nor the PIN so, as naka says, will just have to visit the bank next trip and see what they come up with.

At the moment it is no big issue as I am not living in LoS but I would like to have an account there into which I could transfer funds for my various trips etc. I can always use my Cirrus but get whacked with a hefty charge (over 5%) every time I use it plus I would like an alternative.

• 6 months later...
if account is not used for a year it goes dormant - beleive similar with other thai bank accounts - if account hasnt been closed then you can get it activated again

Will the client money still be in the account if the bank close the account for inactivity?

Edited by tytus