Crc Errors

paulfr

I am getting these CRC Errors whenever I do large BW data transfers like

doing a backup or using uTorrent.

In both cases the transfer shuts down and I must be there to restart it.

It is a real pain.

[for backups I know how to use xcopy at the DOS prompt]

I think this may be a hardware problem but I do not know what to

do about it short of taking the laptop to Pantip or Fortune for repair.

Anyone have any expereince with this type of problem or insight

as to what to do ?

Thank you

In Utorrent/torrent downloads, it's fairly comon to get

crc errors.

If your download has finished, and parts of it are corrupt.

Right click the downloaded file in Utorrent and choose "Force re-check".

That will checksum re-check, and re-download any corrupted pieces.

The backup crc errors is probably another matter.

Maybe you have some corrupted files on your harddisk ?

Try doing a "scandisk" and always use the NTFS filesystem.

Could someone explain how to do these Crc checks while transferring files between folders or drives? Is it an automated process or have to check each file individually? I have lost many zipped files on transferring from one disk to another. I usually don't open the files immediately after transfer. Before I usually just cut n paste. Now I copy the original file to the new disk and manually check the file to see if it has error, which is time consuming. Thanks :o

Unless there is a specific fault within the PC crc errors from folder to folder are rare. If however, one is downloading there are often problems here. I've given up trying to download, even from a Thai hosted source, *nixs because the chances of receiving an operational version is just about nill. Since I know others who are successful however, I've come to assume that I have a 'dirty line' at my location.

Regards

Could someone explain how to do these Crc checks while transferring files between folders or drives? Is it an automated process or have to check each file individually? I have lost many zipped files on transferring from one disk to another. I usually don't open the files immediately after transfer. Before I usually just cut n paste. Now I copy the original file to the new disk and manually check the file to see if it has error, which is time consuming. Thanks :o

Google for "md5 checksum utility".

Then run the utility, and create a cheksum file from the source disk

of the files you wanna copy.

Then copy the files to the destination disk.

Run the utility there again, and create another cheksum file.

Compare the files with the utility.

If files are not corrupted, md5 checksums should match.

I agree with Simmo on that you should test your ram with memtest also:

http://www.memtest.org/

Edited by sabajja

Unless there is a specific fault within the PC crc errors from folder to folder are rare. If however, one is downloading there are often problems here. I've given up trying to download, even from a Thai hosted source, *nixs because the chances of receiving an operational version is just about nill. Since I know others who are successful however, I've come to assume that I have a 'dirty line' at my location.

Regards

For downloading files use a dedicated downloader client. I use FlashGet and it will download the file(s) and dynamically check for errors and dump the packet if it fails and continue trying. It will also continue from where a file left off if the system is shut down or the network connection is lost. Never had a problem successfully downloading multi-gigabyte files with it, I just let it run in the background knowing when it is done the file will be intact.