Another Wireless Internet Question

pokerguy

Hello all. I have been searching and reading all the posts concerning wireless internet. I have always used clickta dialup but I am now considering getting wireless internet for my laptop. I spend about 3 hours a day online playing poker and was wondering if anyone here that uses ais or dtac wireless does any online gaming and if so how reliable it is because it would be useless to me if I was getting disconnected a lot in the middle of playing a hand.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

PG

Hi pokerguy,

Sorry I can't help you on your questions, but as an on-line poker player myself, maybe you can help me. I'm not currently in Thailand, but will be moving there soon. I thought that Thai dial up would be too unreliable for playing poker, however it seems ok for you, how do you find it? Are disconnects frequent? Does it work ok with multiple tables? I usually play 4 at a time, don't know if you play more than one or not. I guess that could affect the lag, but I have used a DU meter and it seems that dial up should have enough bandwidth for this.

If I could use dial up it would be a great help, as ADSL coverage is limited and expensive outside of Bangkok. Do you know how much an unlimited dial up package would cost? I need to be on-line about 12 hours/day so I assume an unlimited package would be my best option.

Which sites do you play on, out of interest?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help you may be able to give, may the poker gods be with you,

Konangrit

I usually have just one table open because I like to play in tournaments. I have had two open and it works OK but more than that might be a problem on dialup. My dialup speed usually comes out at around 28k which seems to be fine for my purposes but I don't think would work for you. I use clickta, http://www.clickta.com/ , because they have cheap unlimited packages, at Pantip you get their basic package cards for 150 baht for 15 days unlimited but each call is limited to 3 hours, after 3 hours you would get cutoff and have to redial, I usually just hang up and redial during a tourny break. Disconnects seem to happen in bunches so if I get a couple I just don't play for a while. Most of the time I get three uninterrupted hours. Loxinfo, http://www.loxinfo.co.th/ , has the best and fastest dialup connections but they are much more expensive as they charge by the hour. Go to Pantip and you will find many other unlimited ISP packages.

I play UltimateBet mostly because of their tournaments.

PG

Thanks for that PG, guess I will have to find a place in an area which has ADSL, and see how they dial up goes before I get broadband installed. Never played on UB, but heard there's some good players there. I usually play on Ladbrokes and/or Prima, just got back to the UK from playing in the WSOP in Vegas from a tournament I won on Ladbrokes, unfortunately I didn't finish in the money, but got to meet and play with a lot of famous pros, and made it to day 3. Pity I didn't win, was $5,000,000 for the winner this year, which I watched them dump onto the table when it got to heads up. That's a big bundle of cash! 2nd place wasn't too upset either... he got $3,500,000. Anyway, was a great experience even if I didn't make any $ out of it.

Good luck!

Konangrit

For your first month or two I can recommend Boss Tower, http://www.bosstower.com/ , you can get a studio there for about 12,000 baht and try dialup and ADSL. They have ADSL in all rooms for 1200 baht a month but the service is not great. Try it for a night or two at 850 baht per night. If you can afford an expensive place the Omni Tower, http://www.the-ascott.com/OurResi/OurResi.asp?r=4 , has great location, great rooms and very good DSL but as I said it is pricey, I had a friend who lived there and his internet connection was very good.

Always wanted to got to WSOP, maybe I will win my way there next year. I am currently visiting family back in States but will be back in Thailand next month.

PG

Hi there.Yeah you can apply for wireless GPRS internet of AIS or DTAC,but i will suggest DTAC,as i m using it as well.you can subscribe for it's Wireless Internet(GPRS pacakge) .it has 3 packages to choose from, or unlimited wirless internet is 1200B/month.I think.