Good Places To Drink In Chiang Mai

Crow Boy

It's never about physically handling yourself / a situation but it's about communication. You do speak Thai? Then it's quite easy to check / discuss WHICH ladies the lady drinks were for. Chances are if it's a mistake (a bin landing in the wrong cup, as it usually is) that it's easily sorted out.

I don't go to #1 bar a lot, but I do trust the place as being honest, so ESPECIALLY in those cases I'd want to get to the bottom of it.

After all, #1 are reasonable. It's not like your in Star 6 or something. :o

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emperor...I agree with all you say, could have inquired more about which girl or girls but that for me would fit in the 20/20 hindsight category. In the same situation again I would do just that. You are also correct in the "communication" thing. In my opinion though if you read the tread closely you will see that I am not alone in these complaints and the owner...again in my humble opinion needs to get a handle on it

And no I am learning thai as fast as my little brain can digest, but I cannot communicate in Thai YET. The day will come as I do have the desire to learn. A little more perspective though is that the beer I was drinking was the expensive Belgium beer so that explains a little of the high bill but I do stand by my word about the ladies drink costs of 2@300Baht and another for good measure I guess @500Baht

And no I am learning thai as fast as my little brain can digest, but I cannot communicate in Thai YET. The day will come as I do have the desire to learn. A little more perspective though is that the beer I was drinking was the expensive Belgium beer so that explains a little of the high bill but I do stand by my word about the ladies drink costs of 2@300Baht and another for good measure I guess @500Baht

maybe you paid bar fine and someone else took the girls out ! :o @500 and @300 /2pax

what a night it would have been .. :D

maybe you paid bar fine and someone else took the girls out ! :o @500 and @300 /2pax

what a night it would have been .. :D

Since it is not quite umm, legal, nor ethical, I will not mention that I loved every moment of it..

Thanks, bunta-dude! :D

I can't even recall EVER having a bar bill of 2400... It'd be so ludicrous that I'd sort it out real quick.

I remember a certain Moderator who some years ago before he became sensible and shall we say coherent :o who had a well big day at #1 he left there alone, although two girls had to help him into a tuk tuk - the bill was 7,800baht - no bell ringing but admittedly several rounds of lady drinks.

CB

O.K. Dustoff it now all comes rushing back to me ...as if it were like a hot kiss slapping upon a wet fist...Monty Python gets the credit. I do remember talking to a couple of gals that night that had no teeth...seemed like a good deal at the time...was it?

O.K. Dustoff it now all comes rushing back to me ...as if it were like a hot kiss slapping upon a wet fist...Monty Python gets the credit. I do remember talking to a couple of gals that night that had no teeth...seemed like a good deal at the time...was it?

lmao.gif

Okay, back on topic before I have to wear a helmet just to deal with the mods..

I just rented a nice/inexpensive apartment mere steps from the night market (for when driving back home is not a good idea) and there are a few places in that area that I far prefer to places at the moat end of Loi Kroh where it is not unusual to get frustrated with "buy me drink" pressure, bills that you have to check in the dim light lest you get had, music so loud that hearing damage is almost a certainty, et al..

Angel Bar (Soi 1, Loi Kroh) is pester-free and owner Stephan is way cool;

David's place at the far other (Thaphae Rd direction) end of this complex next to the Pool Bar (I think that is the name) is likewise laid back, and a friend and I met perhaps the most beautiful woman either of us has ever seen;

GuitarMan for meeting really good people and listening to outrageous music especially late Thursday evenings;

And we found an obscure place visited almost exclusively by Thais (did not see an English name or any other farangs) that is easy walking distance from Tuskers where they have a literal gaggle of lovely ladies who simply sit with you (for 120 Baht/hr) and sing Karaoke with you and absolutely no funny business allowed! In fact there are management people (not to mention the Thai patrons themselves) who very obviously expect/demand that you be laid back and respectful (which I am good at), the girls are NOT available even for 'outside arrangements' and when we tried to buy them drinks their response was, "No thank you, we only drink water." I don't know about my perverted expat buddies but I made a lady friend there and look forward to returning.

If I want kinky I have a live chicken, feathers and all, that shares my apartment, requires only chickenfeed for sustenance and offers up her own unborn offspring for my breakfast.

Who could ask for more, eh? :o

PS - Did I mention that chickens have no teeth...?

Edited by Dustoff

All filed and appreciated...after that last flurry of tirades I can see that I also need to get a life. Interesting about the gals that just sit with you,etc. That explains probably the same action at the restaurant at the entrance of my moo baan. Looks like the same thing and new (action?) to me

lmao.gif

Okay, back on topic before I have to wear a helmet just to deal with the mods..

I just rented a nice/inexpensive apartment mere steps from the night market (for when driving back home is not a good idea) and there are a few places in that area that I far prefer to places at the moat end of Loi Kroh where it is not unusual to get frustrated with "buy me drink" pressure, bills that you have to check in the dim light lest you get had, music so loud that hearing damage is almost a certainty, et al..

Angel Bar (Soi 1, Loi Kroh) is pester-free and owner Stephan is way cool;

David's place at the far other (Thaphae Rd direction) end of this complex next to the Pool Bar (I think that is the name) is likewise laid back, and a friend and I met perhaps the most beautiful woman either of us has ever seen; Yes i can confirm that this lovely woman IS the most stunning in CM.. :o

GuitarMan for meeting really good people and listening to outrageous music especially late Thursday evenings;

And we found an obscure place visited almost exclusively by Thais (did not see an English name or any other farangs) that is easy walking distance from Tuskers where they have a literal gaggle of lovely ladies who simply sit with you (for 120 Baht/hr) and sing Karaoke with you and absolutely no funny business allowed! In fact there are management people (not to mention the Thai patrons themselves) who very obviously expect/demand that you be laid back and respectful (which I am good at), the girls are NOT available even for 'outside arrangements' and when we tried to buy them drinks their response was, "No thank you, we only drink water." I don't know about my perverted expat buddies but I made a lady friend there and look forward to returning.

If I want kinky I have a live chicken, feathers and all, that shares my apartment, requires only chickenfeed for sustenance and offers up her own unborn offspring for my breakfast.

Who could ask for more, eh? :D

PS - Did I mention that chickens have no teeth...?

Edited very rudely by Austhaied....

hey guys,

i was chatting with my friends the other day in a dreary leeds bar :D as to what is all of our favourite bars in chiangers.

couldnt decide,but agreed on many things that help.

1.good music

2.option of food.

3.friendly crowd/staff

4.entertainment(pool Table)

since my last visit,i have read alot on this forum about several bars i havnt yet frequented,namely - tuskers,un irish,the pub.

tuskers seem extremely popular and has a great website,cannot believe i havnt been in my 5 previous visits.me and my friends particulary looking forward to a potential pool tournament at tuskers in dec/january as a few of them rather good.(well half the number1bar pool team who got 7 balled would agree :D) also the friday pub crawl:)

so to cut the chase,what would you say are the best bars out there,that cater to the above? (not Bottom of loh kroh bars or the boxing bars!:D:o

must say i like the number1 bar,lucky bar(no food though),saloon,peak pool bar.as all have a good atmosphere

btw anyone been to the number1 bar since the refurbishment,how does it look

cheers guys

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

Well, things change over time.. And you never know, someone might come up with something other than the usual suspects.

so to cut the chase,what would you say are the best bars out there,that cater to the above? (not Bottom of loh kroh bars or the boxing bars!:o rolleyes.gif

must say i like the number1 bar,lucky bar(no food though),saloon,peak pool bar.as all have a good atmosphere

This I think is a little bit interesting; I can see not wanting to include girlie bars. But then in the very next line you say you like Lucky Bar and No.1 Bar, both exactly around the bottom of Loi Kroh. (Or vomiting-distance away from it anyway. :D )

So apparently it must be a blurry line between what constitutes a bottom-of-loi-kroh bar that you don't want to include, and one that's okay.. (I DO understand this very well, it often depends on the vibe or the particular people there that you like; I just felt like highlighting it. Because I'm of the opinion that girlie bars too can be fun, some of the time and in the right company)

Also, are we allowed to include the Lo-So bars on Moon Muang Soi 1-2 ? :D

(Just asking, not saying I'd include them, though I do at times enjoy something decidely bottom-of-the-barrel in the bum-bar department. The good thing is that you can then alternate those with something in a different scene, like Nimmanhaemin or the Rasta Turf.

Edited by chanchao

You might well be bored stuck in that "dreary leeds bar" but PLEASE don't bring your boredom to the pages of TV. This topic has been done to death over the years. Just take a look at Tigerbeer's link for one :o

Things change, bars and pubs come and go. I don't see any reason to be rude to someone for asking a legitimate question it's an open blogsite as long as a person stays within the rules/boundaries. If its been done to death over the years, then according to your philosophy there must have been an awful lot of boring contributers in the past - maybe including yourself?

1.good music - Yet to find one.

2.option of food - Spicy Pizza

3.friendly crowd/staff - Spicy - very very friendly crowd

4.entertainment(pool Table) - Spicy, no pool but heaps better entertainment.

PLEASE don't bring your boredom to the pages of TV.

People bringing bordom to TV - surely you jest sir

Tuskers? Virtually no parking. Lousy location. Closed during the day. Rarely a crowd, in fact on occasions rarely anyone. Staff more interested in talking amoungst themselves than serving customers. And yet another quiz night in an attempt to attract customers.

Things change, bars and pubs come and go. I don't see any reason to be rude to someone for asking a legitimate question it's an open blogsite as long as a person stays within the rules/boundaries. If its been done to death over the years, then according to your philosophy there must have been an awful lot of boring contributers in the past - maybe including yourself?

Talking of rude, :o There is an almost identical thread running here, why have two? Visit My Websitehttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112385

Tuskers? Virtually no parking. Lousy location. Closed during the day. Rarely a crowd, in fact on occasions rarely anyone. Staff more interested in talking amoungst themselves than serving customers. And yet another quiz night in an attempt to attract customers.

The same could be said about Las Vegas :o

How does Tuskers compare to Las Vegas? Not having been to Vegas,maybe I'm missing something.

Although Tuskers certainly wouldn't win my 'bar of the year' vote, I thought the start of the thread was asking for favourite bars but now it seems to have moved in the direction of bars to avoid

Rather than start up a new thread or peruse one that's 298 posts long - we were thinking of just going out to a place that had good roast beef. I was thinking about the Pub, on Huay Kaew just beyond Rincome and Amari. Good quality, sliced, roast beef with brown gravy, and I don't care if the potatoes are mashed, chopped, creamed, sliced, diced, or baked.

They have a quiz night at Laz Vegas :D It is at least easy to park there, your car too...

Popped into Guitar Man (again) the other night and had a chat to Nick. I stayed for the main set which is a band of Thai lad called "Boy Blues Band". For those of you who don't know he is Tuck's (Brasserie) nephew and a very talented guitarist without the attitude :o.

I like three piece blues bands (Cream, SRV and a thousand others), everyone has to be a good player and mesh together as a band or it will be a train wreck. These guys are good and a well worth checking out. I think they play on Friday, Sat, and Sunday and start their set at about 10:30pm so aren't for those of us who like an early night. If you like the band they have a EP CD (six songs) for 150baht. There are some production idiocyncrasities but the playing makes up for it. Grab a copy and ask the guys to autograph it.

Guitarman is getting everything together and remain one of the few places where people can come along and jam earlier in the evening and then follow up with a set band.

Other band to check out is the Tonic Rays who are due very shortly to release their CD.

CB

I have just merged this topic with a new one that started up "which is the best bar in Chiang Mai" - to my mind it makes more sense to keep them together.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Good Places To Drink" was started by me :o

cheers

and remember to drink and post responsibly

CB

The post was asking about best bars in Chiang Mai, but I suppose some people just can't be positive.

Judging by the response to the the unofficial Thai Visa get together this Friday it's clear to see that quite a few members of this forum are not only fans of the place but also friends of the owners. If you are aware of that, as you surely must be, then why would you take it upon yourself to make such a post? Something funny there? Hidden agenda maybe? or just plain rude and ignorant?

I'm new to forums,and I haven't quite figured what they're all about yet.

I don't really know why nobody seems to reveal there identify in a forum like this but maybe your type of comments explain that. It's so easy to be rude, ignorant , and insensitive when nobody knows who you are. Is this the adult version of shouting out at the cinema when the lights are out?

I simply used my name as a member sign on, which seemed obvious to me. In fact I've always used my name when it was asked for, so why shouldn't I here? I wouldn't inflict a photo of myself upon others so I don't have an AVATAR (is that the correct word for the image that I can add to my profile), but maybe in the future, if I can find something appropriate that reflects my personality I'll post one. I see that you obviously did.