Land purchase for kids, minimum age?

I am currently considering to buy some land for my thai kids. One of them is 15 years old, the other one soon to be 17. What is the minimum age for a Thai in order to have the property being registered in his own name (if any)?

As I assume this subject may have been discussed before, I would be grateful for beeing directed to any relevant thread.

No minimum, you can buy if for them the day they get a Birth Certificate.

No loans on the land allowed thought, kids can't have debt.

Put yourself down as the land manager until they are of legal age.

PS.

that doesn't mean the land office won't attempt to conspire with mom against the kids interests

(by telling you she has to be owner or manager).

Great idea and I admire your desire to take care of your kids.

Good luck.

My Thai son recently completed his will and (with his wive's instant agreement) he left his land and house equally to his 3 kids: 14, 8, 3.

Trusted lawyer double checked with the local LTO here in Chiang Mai, they confirmed it can done without complications but as already mentioned it can't be sold (other than by court order which apparently is almost impossible to achieve) until all 3 kids reach majority. 

37 minutes ago, thecaveman said:

Did you really mean 18 or 20?

Thx for your, for BritManToo's and for scorecard's  replies!  

You are right, it's actually 20 years until they have majority here and can sell it on their own.

Which may be good anyway, or is there any plan to sell it soonish?

On 9/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, thecaveman said:

What is the minimum age for a Thai in order to have the property being registered in his own name (if any)?

In my case a Birth Certificate with an ID-number, as @BritManToo also mentioned. You might need a guardian also. Be aware that it might be extremely complicated to sell or transfer any property registered in the name of a minor.

A minor can also own shares in a company limited.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:04 PM, BritManToo said:

No minimum, you can buy if for them the day they get a Birth Certificate.

No loans on the land allowed thought, kids can't have debt.

Put yourself down as the land manager until they are of legal age.

PS.

that doesn't mean the land office won't attempt to conspire with mom against the kids interests

(by telling you she has to be owner or manager).

Are you saying that if the wife buys a house and needs a loan from the bank that we cant have it in our childs name. Only the wifes name?

Archived