Another biometrics success: American pensioner arrested on illegal gun warrant

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

An American citizen has been arrested entering Thailand at the Friendship Bridge 2 in Mukdahan.

The 69 year old was found to be wanted on a warrant issued in Samut Prakarn on August 15th for the illegal possession and carrying of a firearm. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na said that the arrest was as a result of the recently installed biometrics system. 

After it was confirmed that the suspect was the right person, and he admitted as much, he was taken to Suvarnabhumi Airport where the police want to interrogate him. 

Full story: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-18

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

I'm interested as to how this might specifically be down to biometrics?

What 'biometric data' could there be to show this up?

Surely just checking his passport would have flagged up he had an arrest warrant outstanding - unless of course he had another passport he was entering on?

Or doesn't it look as good without including the 'in phrase' of biometrics?

Some bad comments here but nobody knows the full story. Some foreigners worry about the safety of theyre families so he probably felt it to be the right decision considering alot of thais are carry guns and tourists are none the wiser. I know the pain thais can cause. My house was just searched a few days ago for guns, drugs, etc... All because my neighbours have failed to scare me and my family away for the past 6years. The reasons for harassing us is because of local corruption with illegal land grabbing and such. Officials, police, etc are all harassing us. I wont elaborate further but in this case its better to take out as many <deleted> as possible instead of being a sitting duck or accidentally dying in a police cell, etc..

Im not condoning carry guns but we all dont know why.

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Surely just checking his passport would have flagged up he had an arrest warrant outstanding - unless of course he had another passport he was entering on?

Just trying to sell biometrics as something that is essential because it is keeping the country safe. And to keep the sheeple in line and not objecting.

Once they have a complete database, they can identify everyone at demonstrations, political protests, labor strikes, etc., and use it to oppress.

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Just deport him. The this jails are bursting. No room for more. Send him to Afgan-land. There he can play with guns all day long.

Any Idea how many illegal guns are "owned" and many Times used by.......Thais?

Guess if they send all those Thais owning illegal guns to go play with guns in the sandpits of the middle east there would be a real exodus.

This is, if course, another slur on the farang.

Got nothing to do with the battle against illegal guns, which the Police all over the world can not win.

Well, some hotel guy hits the nail on the head, the slump in tourism is because the Europeans stay away.

More negative vibes and proud shouting about western people, guilty of not, will certainly be beneficial for western tourists arriving.

Like daily razzia's, double pricing in state hospitals, negative treatment in Immigration as if all farang are criminal, and so on, and so forth.

5 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Any Idea how many illegal guns are "owned" and many Times used by.......Thais?

Just a excuse for making him look like much better and almost ordinarie. What has Thais to do with this piece of news? If they break the law I will dislike it same much.

On the other hand. All countries have their criminal citizens, so there is no need to have a non citizen piece of <deleted> breaking the law too.

2 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Some bad comments here but nobody knows the full story. Some foreigners worry about the safety of theyre families so he probably felt it to be the right decision considering alot of thais are carry guns and tourists are none the wiser. I know the pain thais can cause. My house was just searched a few days ago for guns, drugs, etc... All because my neighbours have failed to scare me and my family away for the past 6years. The reasons for harassing us is because of local corruption with illegal land grabbing and such. Officials, police, etc are all harassing us. I wont elaborate further but in this case its better to take out as many <deleted> as possible instead of being a sitting duck or accidentally dying in a police cell, etc..

Im not condoning carry guns but we all dont know why.

Appreciate that post. Experiences such as that within mubaans and in remote areas while living in Thailand need to be talked about more. The extent to which corruption and illegal activities occur is shocking. There isn't much to do when the police are half-ass. One angry or displeased Thai is one thing but a group..that's worrisome.

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The old method relies on people reading & understanding your passport then linking it to information on a system.... MANUALLY.... 
Bio-metrics cuts out the manual bit and relies on technology... need I say more!

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The old method relies on people reading & understanding your passport then linking it to information on a system.... MANUALLY.... 
Bio-metrics cuts out the manual bit and relies on technology... need I say more!

At least you explain it right , just now they have to waive the passport close to a reader and automatic result shows as many western country passports are already biometric chipped ….

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes and no.

Immediately before they started to read the biometric data in Thailand, immigration had a scanner which read the printed information at the bottom of the passport details page. So they still could have checked using that, before the implementation of reading the biometric data chip.

My wife has guns to defend the home. She bought them  after a neighbour's house was invaded and the owners locked up for two hours while the house was ransacked.

Her guns are licensed and totally legal, and we are both members of a shooting range.

It is pretty stupid to have illegal guns....it is a jail sentence waiting to happen.

19 hours ago, transam said:

Bit off topic but at Chong Mek border yesterday, they took my finger prints from both hands, thumbs too, on a high tech machine....

Malaysia has been doing this for a while, around 10 years I reckon....

Totally understand someone having one, specially if living remote. As another one posted, many things happen and we don't know the full story behind it too. 
Just got into a case in our province too, some illegal land grabbing of my wife's family, almost resulted in a warzone too.

One more reason for me to never move there permanently, it only attracts more bad future news. Considering my wife to get a gun licensed next year.
Anyway, I do not see what biometrics got to do with this. Passport scan should be enough for a centralised system.

Archived