DSL Lines in Thailand vs the west

SanookTeufel

I'm sure all of you have noticed the massive array of wiring that goes into the Thai (and Vietnam and other countries) utility poles.

In Germany and the US we have DSL lines owned by either the government or put up by the local companies in agreement with the government.

In Thailand, it appears all companies host their own lines, which is why they have so many.

Does anyone know why this is the case?

Is the internet exchange the same? For example if I host a domain registrar or host provider do I need to connect the backbone to all the separate companies lines or would I just use one of the 10 international and 11 domestic exchanges? Also, why have so many? Do they each connect and communicate with each other?

57 minutes ago, SanookTeufel said:

In Thailand, it appears all companies host their own lines, which is why they have so many.

Does anyone know why this is the case?

Yes each company runs their own line..they don't want to be responsible for other companies lines..

I found it rather odd that in the UK years ago (maybe 20 years now) British Telecom where forced by the government to let competing companies (manly cable TV companies) use their equipment and lines  and at the same time the government stopped BT from offering  fibre optics to every customer as it would have given them a competitive advantage !! so we got stuck with slow internet and limited cable TV coverage for years.

1 hour ago, SanookTeufel said:

why have so many? Do they each connect and communicate with each other?

Every company  doesn't want to be responsible for the others equipment but Its good in a way to have redundancy.

yes they all connect to one another.

9 hours ago, johng said:

Yes each company runs their own line..they don't want to be responsible for other companies lines..

I found it rather odd that in the UK years ago (maybe 20 years now) British Telecom where forced by the government to let competing companies (manly cable TV companies) use their equipment and lines  and at the same time the government stopped BT from offering  fibre optics to every customer as it would have given them a competitive advantage !! so we got stuck with slow internet and limited cable TV coverage for years.

Every company  doesn't want to be responsible for the others equipment but Its good in a way to have redundancy.

yes they all connect to one another.

Good answer! I had the same question on why we do things like this in the west.

I'm not sure how it works in Germany, but in the US if a provider like Verizon puts up the lines in a city, then Verizon will have exclusive service for a number of years.

Each system has it's pro's and cons... In Thailand it's messy cable management but better for business.

In the US, it's all very dependent on the local jurisdiction. But in general the cable to your house is the same regardless of what ISP you use.

I bounce between my two local Gig cable providers, Midco & VAST, dependent on whatever offers they have.

Nobody ever comes to my house other than to drop off their specific modem.

At our Thai house however,  over the years, I've had True, 3BB, TOT (DSL & Fiber). Cabling was always added for each change, but nothing was ever taken away!

Thankfully, with the exception of really rural areas DSL in the US is dead

I worked for a datacenter in Germany and all the infrastructure is run by a monopoly: Deutch Telecom. I don't know how it works in Thailand but there is virtually fiber everywhere and the quality is much better in Thailand (including mobile internet). In Germany they are slow at upgrading infrastructure since there is no incentive and price are ridiculous. In the US it's not a monopoly but they get screwed. I'm from Canada and it's the worst of them all in term of quality and price. 

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I worked for a datacenter in Germany and all the infrastructure is run by a monopoly: Deutch Telecom. I don't know how it works in Thailand but there is virtually fiber everywhere and the quality is much better in Thailand (including mobile internet). In Germany they are slow at upgrading infrastructure since there is no incentive and price are ridiculous. In the US it's not a monopoly but they get screwed. I'm from Canada and it's the worst of them all in term of quality and price. 

Again, in the US it depends where you live, it's a big country.

In Thailand I pay about $40 for a 200M fiber connection.

In the US I pay $89 for 1 Gig Cable connection.

At least in the US, in areas where there is real competition you can play them off against each other to get the best deal.

I tried doing that with 3BB/True/TOT...talking to a brick wall.

On a side note, while none of them compare to my US Gig service, I am pretty happy with my 200M TOT Fiber2U. It's pretty robust, international connections are what they are though the gateway, but overall pretty happy.

All the DSL services I had from TOT, True & 3BB sucked big time

Archived