Jump to content

Life sentence for murderer of young couple at Buddha Mountain


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

Life sentence for murderer of young couple at Buddha Mountain

By Teerawat Thongma,
Dethawee Thiwarangkul
The Nation

 

800_4bbe85511d15796.jpg

 

The Pattaya Provincial Court on Wednesday sentenced to death former Phuket bar owner Panya “Sia Auan Bangla” Yingdang for the double murder of a one-time teen beauty queen and her partner, but commuted the penalty to life imprisonment because he had confessed.

 

Pavena Namuangrak and her partner Anantachai Jaritram were shot dead in the parking lot of Khao Chijan Buddha Mountain, a local tourist attraction, on July 29, 2018.

 

Also sentenced first to death and then life behind bars were Kiattisak Surangsaengmeeboon, who drove Panya to the scene of the murders, and hired gunman Narong Warintarawet. 

 

A fourth defendant, Sayan Srisk, who pointed out the victims, was sentenced to life imprisonment, reduced to 50 years. 

 

Jirasak Unaibun, the gang’s second driver, and Panya’s bodyguard Krissana Srisuk were each jailed for 16 years.

 

The court also ordered all six men to pay a combined Bt7.32 million in compensation to Anantachai’s family and Bt7.312 million to Pavena’s family.

 

Wanpen Namuangrak, Pavena’s mother, said she was content with the ruling, but she had declined to return the “wai” Panya offered her when she entered the courtroom to hear the judgement.

 

Following the daring daylight murders in front of tourists and hawkers, police determined that Panya had acted in a jealous rage. 

 

He claimed the young couple had convinced him they were just friends throughout the three years he was wooing Pavena, a period during which he transferred a total of Bt7 million to her and her relatives.

 

Panya was apprehended by Cambodian police and sent back to face prosecution. 

 

He and the five other accused had been in detention since their separate arrests in 2018 and never granted bail.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376374

 

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-18
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

but she had declined to return the “wai” Panya offered her when she entered the courtroom to hear the judgement.

The ''wai '', highly over rated and seriously abused...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Horrific crime and nobody deserves an early grave, there are no excuses for murder and it shows true flaws in a personality that I wish there were ways to identify and fix before someone takes another persons life.

 

I noted also the classic Thai game of "hes my friend" used while a lady extracts (swindles) money from another. As we all know, as foreigners we are frequently the targets of these sweet criminals that skirt the law for their personal gain and our financial loss. Some of us not in a position to lose what is taken, but nobody cares about a foreigner with less or no money in Thailand as we also know.

 

If the act of swindling men (or women I guess it could happen) out of money through deception was a crime, and taken seriously by the law here, and the law was reliable enough, perhaps other situations (whereby the victim of the theft did not have such extreme personality flaws) would end in a court case, rather than murder.

 

The crime and its motivators highlight the flaws in society, only highlighted because of the flaws of the individual and the life destroying decisions he made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TheGhostWithin said:

If the act of swindling men (or women I guess it could happen) out of money through deception was a crime, and taken seriously by the law here, and the law was reliable enough,

Agree entirely.  Having been swindled out of a huge chunk of my home by Thailand's property owning scam, I can testify that, in the words of my ex-wife, 'A court will never find in favour of a farang.  This is Thailand.'

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Following the daring daylight murders in front of tourists and hawkers, police determined that Panya had acted in a jealous rage.

A few seconds of blind rage then a lifetime behind bars !

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He and the five other accused had been in detention since their separate arrests in 2018 and never granted bail.

This needs to happen more,especially in the case of murders,and serious cases

of Corruption,as you just know they are going to do a runner.

regards worgeordie

Link to post
Share on other sites

So let's get this straight.

 

Two Thai men brutally murder a young couple in broad daylight in front of multiple witnesses; they are then apprehended and are given the death sentences. But because they admitted the crime, (how could they deny it), they have their sentences reduced to life imprisonment.

 

Yet two Burmese men are accused of murdering a young couple in highly suspicious and contentious circumstances, with no witnesses, with only the corrupt police and associates producing endless implausible and doubtful circumstantial evidence - but they get the death sentence. Full stop.

 

Thai justice at its most unjust conclusions!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

This needs to happen more,especially in the case of murders,and serious cases

of Corruption,as you just know they are going to do a runner.

regards worgeordie

 

True. Like that Norwegian murderer who seems to have done a runner whilst on bail.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2019 at 3:10 AM, Bundooman said:

Yet two Burmese men are accused of murdering a young couple in highly suspicious and contentious circumstances, with no witnesses, with only the corrupt police and associates producing endless implausible and doubtful circumstantial evidence - but they get the death sentence. Full stop.

Nothing new. Same in America. African Americans get life sentence and European American get probation for the same crime in many instances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2019 at 3:03 AM, hotchilli said:

A few seconds of blind rage then a lifetime behind bars !

I would hardly call it a few seconds of blind rage, this planned with 4 or more people involved, defiantly premeditated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...