What visas are left for those under 50?

On 10/3/2019 at 5:24 PM, SpanishExpat said:

So please stop that BS, as there are many guys out there without real options!

They probably will as soon as ome self entitled people stop bitching about it getting harder to scam the system.

What makes you think just because a couple of people bumped uglies and 9 month later you were born into the world gives you the "right" to live anywhere in the world you want to?

• Thanks 1

You need to understand that Thailand don’t want farangs anymore. They only want the rich farangs coming for 3 weeks and who spend all their money in bangkok or Pattaya & Hua Hin. Thailand dont understand “ you must give to receive” Thailand say to everyone “ go home or pay the 500000 bahts if you want stay here long term “

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, 50soon said:

You need to understand that Thailand don’t want farangs anymore. They only want the rich farangs coming for 3 weeks and who spend all their money in bangkok or Pattaya & Hua Hin. Thailand dont understand “ you must give to receive” Thailand say to everyone “ go home or pay the 500000 bahts if you want stay here long term “

Is your name Chicken Little?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 50soon said:

You don't know what you're talking about. "Rich farangs coming for 3 weeks". Maybe you are a poor guy, but I think I spend much more every year in Thailand as an expat than every tourist does in 3 to 6 weeks. I am not so stupid paying for an Elite Visa when I can pay 1900 baht/year. It's people like you,they don't want in Thailand. 

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How many years can a person renew their education visa?

If you attend a University you can get one year extensions for as long as you are attending classes. For informal schools it is a year of 90 day extensions and then you need to get a new non-ed visa.

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Can somebody renew their ed visa 'learning Thai' for 10 years?

No

About a year and a half is is the max now.

29 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

You got it wrong. The Thai authorities no longer want visitors to game the system. Any other government wants the same. Follow the rules and you'll be fine. Make your own rules and they'll say out. 

When you turn 50 you'll be able to put 800K in a Thai bank for two months and apply for a Non O retirement visa. Be aware that you wont be able to work, though.

Even when he turns 50 he will be a poor farang. I don't think he has the 800k to park in the bank. 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Then why is it that I see some people learning Thai in a private school (not university) for two years?

Edited by EricTh

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Then why is it that I see some people learning Thai in a private school (not university) for two years?

Perhaps the school can offer advanced studies.  Many schools are not registered to do them.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Maybe they not use the ED Visa!

You can go to learn thai without a ED Visa as well. For example with a "retirement Visa" you can study english as long you want.

Actually you are allowed to study (learn thai) even without visa excempt. but of course there you can't do it 2 years now.

And there are still some maybe lucky who can make new ED Visa. Or they say they will learn 1 year thai and 1 year english (for non native) but in reality they learn 2 years thai.

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

Maybe they not use the ED Visa!

You can go to learn thai without a ED Visa as well. For example with a "retirement Visa" you can study english as long you want.

Actually you are allowed to study (learn thai) even without visa excempt. but of course there you can't do it 2 years now.

And there are still some maybe lucky who can make new ED Visa. Or they say they will learn 1 year thai and 1 year english (for non native) but in reality they learn 2 years thai.

What are you rambling about?

Visa exempt is 30 days you get at the airport. How many study English in Thailand on retirement visa? 

5 hours ago, Salerno said:

What makes you think just because a couple of people bumped uglies and 9 month later you were born into the world gives you the "right" to live anywhere in the world you want to?

Well just take this very thought one step further and "bump uglies" with a Thai, preferably one you like and of the opposite sex. All going well, nine months later you will be eligible for a non-immigrant visa and extensions based on being the parent of a Thai. If that idea spreads, it might even be beneficial for Thailand's gene pool.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What are you rambling about?

Visa exempt is 30 days you get at the airport. How many study English in Thailand on retirement visa? 

At my school (actually in my class) there are 2-3 which study Thai with an retirement extension.

So please be patient about what you guess. I can tell you this on first hand. I also study Thai without an ED.

And then there are also a few which study with Work permit! but as always there are a lot of people who think they know everything better.

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

These people are on education visa because they are either below 50 or don't have enough money for retirement visa after the embassy letters were stopped.

Their main purpose is to stay in Thailand and not learn Thai.

Some even repeat the same course two or three times... that's what i heard.

How many people are really serious in learning Thai beyond the elementary level? Most of the people I have met said learning Thai is difficult.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

These people are on education visa because they are either below 50 or don't have enough money for retirement visa after the embassy letters were stopped.

Their main purpose is to stay in Thailand and not learn Thai.

Some even repeat the same course two or three times... that's what i heard.

How many people are really serious in learning Thai beyond the elementary level? Most of the people I have met said learning Thai is difficult.

I agree with you about there are a lot which use the ED Visa only for stay in Thailand!

But there are also a fair amount of people who really study Thai. And yes Thai language is not an easy language to learn. And with older age it becomes even more difficult!

For this persons who I say really learn Thai, I think even them they are really learning thai but this I would say is a nice side effect to them, as most of them also use it to enjoy Thailand. 

But when I look around at my school I would say there are a lot of ED Student which fulfill the Idea of the ED Visa.. go to school try to learn and at the same time enjoy Thailand.

And I know 1 case he used his second ED Visa for learn English, but at school he attends the Thai classes. So let's face it, that he more serious learning Thai than some other person who only have an ED Visa but maybe never attend class.

Yes, there are Students who go up the level fast and others who are slower. As every person different.

That would be a nice question to be serious answered. From my view I see about 10-15 Students in the first level class (and there are more first level classes then in the higher levels). As the level goes up there students become less. In Level 4 there are now about 2-4 Students. So I would say Level 1+2 there are still a lot of them.. and then the numbers drops dramatically already for Level 3.

I guess many of the students already happy when they can order food on the street can count the numbers and have a very simple conversation to say something to a Thai!

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you attend a University you can get one year extensions for as long as you are attending classes. For informal schools it is a year of 90 day extensions and then you need to get a new non-ed visa.

No

One could study Linguistics at a proper university of similar language focused degrees for a long time i guess: http://linguistics.hu.swu.ac.th/ 

But enduring the pain of having to do that sounds more like torture to me.

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

But there are also a fair amount of people who really study Thai. And yes Thai language is not an easy language to learn. And with older age it becomes even more difficult!

For this persons who I say really learn Thai, I think even them they are really learning thai but this I would say is a nice side effect to them, as most of them also use it to enjoy Thailand. 

I did, until i figured it's not worth it personally.

Not on an ED Visa tho, but Chulalongkorn and other proper universities all have PROPER thai classes: http://www.arts.chula.ac.th/CTFL/intensivethai/

Guess they do give out 1 year visas tho, as a proper university.

It's just...

Staying here is a reason to learn Thai, yes

But is learning Thai really a proper reason to stay here?

I find it weird that informal schools can even give out visas, that whole setup makes it so easy to abuse the visa system.

Just setup some dumb school without any qualifications and make money from issuing visas, i guess that's what happened...

• Like 1

I've been researching this extensively and have decided to move to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. It will cost me $130 and then another $140 to rent a shuttle van to move all my stuff. From there costs will change in the following ways:

Visa related: $700 yearly savings

Rent: $600 yearly increase

Female company: $25 extra per night. The girls are more sweet and amateur though.

Power cuts happen on occasion but are mostly scheduled and I have a large power bank. Internet cuts also happen sometimes, as do water cuts. Some people see a lot of these, some never do.

I live a fairly simple life so honestly the move won't affect me too much. Overall I expect costs to go up about $2,500/year. But I'll also be saving about $16,000 per 5 years in Elite visa, which will return about $1,450 per year or $800 per year post inflation.

The Cambodia move should also remove location stress which I sometimes feel after a raid and mass arrest occurs in the news. Researching the Phils and Cambodia made me realize just how negative attitudes are here compared to surrounding countries.

Plus, Cambodia's level of poverty means it will take 35 years to reach Thailand's level of wealth.

8 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I've been researching this extensively and have decided to move to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. It will cost me $130 and then another $140 to rent a shuttle van to move all my stuff. From there costs will change in the following ways:

Visa related: $700 yearly savings

Rent: $600 yearly increase

Female company: $25 extra per night. The girls are more sweet and amateur though.

Overall I expect costs to go up about $2,500/year. But I'll also be saving about $16,000 per 5 years in Elite visa, which will return about $1,450 per year or $800 per year post inflation.

I'm amazed the cost of living would be higher in Cambodia than Thailand (whereabouts in Thailand?)

ED Visa in Pattaya runs about $1,200 to $1,500/year all in. In Cambodia costs are about $300/yr and I'm estimating another $200 in hidden costs.

Phnom Penh near the river and nightlife area, yes. It's still a capital city. Also rent in Thailand is a deal compared to most other places. Phils is more expensive too.