Good news for Krungsri account holders - Online shopping

I don't know how long this facility has been available, but Krungsri debit cards can now be used for online shopping. I stumbled upon this whilst browsing their web site recently.

You have to register first, a simple process that can be done online and once you have done so, it can be used immediately. I've already used mine twice, once with Lazada and then with Amazon in the US.

For me it gets round the issue of having to use my UK card when shopping in country, especially with Lazada, given that their 'wallet' is not open to none Thais.

Note: You can also pay Lazada using online banking, but the card method is much quicker and easier.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Bangkok Bank, SCB, Kasikorn

Possible with all of the above.

But indeed you have to do some registration process.

Well for Kasikorn that is news to me. I had went in years ago and asked them why I had that problem and they said it is their security. If true and now has changed then I might try to open that up as I don't keep much in that account at any given time.

15 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So I guess Krungsri was like Kasikorn Bank being restricted and can only be used in person. Frustrating card. Krungthai has always been open for online usage.

Kasikorn has a web shopping card, (apply on your Kbank internet banking) a virtual card that you can use for online purchases and the cash is taken from your Kasikorn account. 

Ive used Krungsri as well as BKK Bank debit cards online for many years so it's nothing new and has nothing to do with the chip as I was using it pre-chip. Both I had to go through some activation process. I think I did that via an ATM. Dead simple.

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've been using my Bangkok Bank VISA for online purchases all over the world for the past 10 years.

It's how debit cards work.

Used Lazada wallet for my last purchase, don't know why you think foreigners can't use it.

Although I normally use CoD.

You will not be able to use Bangkok Bank ,VISA card,for much longer as they have stopped doing them,

only Mastercard,or the Chineses one. 

regards worgeordie

On 9/27/2019 at 10:26 AM, BritManToo said:

I've been using my Bangkok Bank VISA for online purchases all over the world for the past 10 years.

It's how debit cards work.

Used Lazada wallet for my last purchase, don't know why you think foreigners can't use it.

Although I normally use CoD.

I don't believe the Visa card is still available or at least that is what I was told when they gave me a Master Card which is basically only an ATM card.

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I don't believe the Visa card is still available or at least that is what I was told when they gave me a Master Card which is basically only an ATM card.

It is correct that they don't do Visa cards anymore but the Mastercard is also a Debit card which can be used online. I have it and I used it online as well as overseas for payments. Didn't need any activation either, just worked fine out of the box.

18 hours ago, eisfeld said:

It is correct that they don't do Visa cards anymore but the Mastercard is also a Debit card which can be used online. I have it and I used it online as well as overseas for payments. Didn't need any activation either, just worked fine out of the box.

I have had many instances where the card was declined and others where it was not, such as Grab.  The bank told me in person that the card was only an ATM card so I should not expect it to be usable everywhere.  I have seen others get declined at supermarkets with the same card.  For whatever reason, the Mastercard is is problematic.

14 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I have had many instances where the card was declined and others where it was not, such as Grab.  The bank told me in person that the card was only an ATM card so I should not expect it to be usable everywhere.  I have seen others get declined at supermarkets with the same card.  For whatever reason, the Mastercard is is problematic.

The bank warned me about this and said a lot of customers are complaining when they gave me the card. They claimed "because these numbers are so new" which obviously is complete nonsense but I didn't want to discuss with them since they don't seem to know much how these things work anyways. So I was prepared for the card to not work but I have booked flights, ordered stuff on lazada, paid things in Singapore and like you used it with Grab all without issue. Maybe I just got  lucky so far. I think Bangkok Bank just has very bad IT systems that create issues all the time. I am using they Biz i-Banking also and it's horrible. Recently they ranked first in some study on banking reliability.

They definitely are Debit cards and not just ATM cards. That's why they have the Mastercard logo.

BKK Bank is the first bank I got an account with and with the Visa cards all was good. Now they like to charge way too much for transfers and cash withdrawals especially if cross province because their systems are still not united. I am planning to move away from them. Krungsri has been pretty good in my experience. Just need to. make sure you got the right account. They are part of MUFG so I have a bit more faith in them implementing their systems properly.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:26 AM, BritManToo said:

I had been using the wallet for a year or 2 and about 2 ~ 3 months ago I could no longer add funds to it from my SCB account. So now SWMBO has taken it over. It required the thai ID and the laser ID from the Thai ID card. So in my case as a foreigner I can't use it. 

TIT YMMV.

Archived