Tick Infestation

Dirk_brijs

I have a dog at home and never had trouble with Ticks. Not saying he never had some but always just one or two. Now the last few weeks we saw the number get up. Started straight away with drops washing him with special shampoo and stuff. Of no avail to the point now that the house seems infested with those buggers. Have been spraying the house now for 2 days with some pesticide but they seem to be comming from everywhere???

Is this a seasonal thing or something?? How to get rid of those, if possible, as I suspect they must be all over the place outside of my house too??

anyone has some advise on this matter???

Yes, ticks are very seasonal. You can get a spray called Frontline your veterinarian. A small bottle is around 360 baht, a little expensive but well worth the cost. Use (on your dog) once or twice a week for a few weeks then take a break and see if they come back.

Edited by Phil Conners

Check with the local Vet(pet doc) in your area, I did he prescribe a great(mild) dog shampoo the dog love. Best of all no more fleas or ticks. :D:o

When the season for them arrives here, we take him to a vet and he gets a shot (don't know the name of it) and he's good for about 3 months.

They are sure Ticks. Never saw that big bed bugs.

Problem is the house?? Dog is ok went to the vet for a shot and shampoo only thing is house is infested with them. They crawl all over the place.

Just went through that a few weeks ago, they just started showing up en-masse. Happened a couple of years ago also. Found a spray that does a good job on them. Moved all the furniture to the center of the room, sprayed along all the cracks and junctions (wall), checked the furniture and sprayed inside (sofa) then swept everything out. It's the eggs that are the issue, hundreds can be layed quickly. Any new ones showing up, immediate spray - also under any cabinets. The house is clear now (took about 4-5 days), as it was when I did it the first time a couple of years ago. Most of the writing on the can is in Thai but at the bottom says "Chaindrite(1)"

The spray seems to stay on the floor awhile since any crawling died pretty soon without additional spraying.

Another possibility (I think) is to get an exterminator with a fogger. Seal the windows and doors and fog it, will have to stay away for about 24 hours though.

I've had my golden for about 15 months, and she lives on my outside terrace and my inside office, (when I am there).

From day one I have given her her monthly Frontline in the back of the neck, and we only ever had a few tick problems once, when I realised that she had grown too big for the Frontline we were using. I stepped up to the over 30 kilos dogs, and we have never had another problem, Never see any ticks on her or the house or garden, and I brush her every day so I would know.

Yes, they are quite expensive, but very effective.

I suggest that in the first instance you get a vet to give your dog a 'tick' shot - which will also last a month to get her on the way, and then follow up with monthly Frontlines.

I use tick collars on my dogs. We have had a couple of really bad infestations in the past and have tried the Frontline drops, spray and various shampoos. The collars really work. The ticks die and fall off within a couple of days. I have been using them for nearly a year now and touch wood, we haven't had a problem since.

As far as the ticks in the house go, as stated before, you have to spray and re spray to get rid of the new ones. It will take a few days but if you persevere, you will get rid of them.

All good advice above but if you have a real problem you have to be kill them 100% if you leave a couple they will multiply at an astounding rate. You have to spray under things , ticks hag out under tall grass , under leaves, under small branches so you need to spray under these as well as over .

So think about inside the house under the bed , under the sofa and so on they also climb up leaves and grass so they will climb the walls inside and will climb your curtains/drapes they will hide out inside the folds of the drapes , if they climb and find nothing you will see them at the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling they will come down when they are looking for a victim , if your pet gets on you bed get everything washed and check the matress by eye and maybe spray with a fly spray or weak pesticide .Treating your dog alone is not a good idea as if they cant feed on the dog they will look for anouther victim , have you got a tick collar on?

And if you think all this is over kill and a bit to much , just look up what a tick bite can do to a human the list of horrible deseases like lime desease is long , it will only take you half an hour outside and half an hour inside .I was bitten badly by a tick once and you have to wait a while to see if you have caught anything ,I would think its like waiting 3 months before you can test to see if you have aids , so I guess your itching now but better safe than sorry

There is a water based spray product made from flowers that i cannot spell-chrisanthenums-best try called Permedan which works for me. Not only kills ticks,

but ants, mosqits, and 10 other bugs. Foodland used to have. Missus puts small amount in

mop water before moping. Only time dogs had ticks, sprayed them direct and worked. Found safe

for plants too, especially for killing aphids which can desimate a plant very fast. :o

There is a water based spray product made from flowers that i cannot spell-chrisanthenums-best try called Permedan which works for me. Not only kills ticks,

but ants, mosqits, and 10 other bugs. Foodland used to have. Missus puts small amount in

mop water before moping. Only time dogs had ticks, sprayed them direct and worked. Found safe

for plants too, especially for killing aphids which can desimate a plant very fast. :o

Nice tip, will have to look around for some. Don't like using as much insecticide as I had to use to get rid of them.

Frontline is the best,

I had this problem last year. They were all over, coming from everywhere. I put frontline on the back of my dogs neck, and there weren't as many but they didnt completely go, so I had to do another frontline the week after and the problem stopped..

Get some frontline!

Its about 600 baht for 3 uses...