Transferring thai baht to my UK account when no longer in Thailand

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

There are much higher limits available at SCB, but I don't know how to change it. 20000 baht per day is considered a high limit in Thailand, but not if you convert it to £. Is the limit only £250 in the UK today?

Yes it seems so, I bank with Natwest and I usually cannot take out more than £250ish a day. 

I can change the 20,000 limit on the SCB Easy App but in order to do so it wants to send a confirmation code to my mobile number (which is my thai number and not in use anymore as I am now in the UK and using a UK sim!) I can also change my contact number but I would have to go in store, which I cannot do as there are no SCB branches here in the UK, lol!

I have just set up Western union account and got it verified today but getting message 'unable to transfer at this time,please try again later'......so maybe have issue with website today....tried both CC and direct debit

You can can still get OTP message on thai sim overseas afaik.

1 minute ago, William Osborne said:

I have just set up Western union account and got it verified today but getting message 'unable to transfer at this time,please try again later'......so maybe have issue with website today....tried both CC and direct debit

Ahh it could be WU themselves being down then if you're having problems too, it all seems fine until I press Continue to confirm it all and then either says it cannot be done due to a technical error or  that a 'can't reach this page' page comes up as if the internet has cut out when it hasn't. i'll update if this changes over the next few hours/days

Not sure if transferwise accept debit cards
You can in certain circumstances, I recently transferred a small amount into a bank in Singapore using Transferwise funded by a debit card payment linked to my account in Jersey, the funds reached the account in 11 seconds and incurred a transaction fee of 70p.

1 hour ago, William Osborne said:

It think it only works if international roaming is enabled in the sim card. Maybe he tossed the Thai sim card when he got back home. 

9 hours ago, Pib said:

DeeMoney stopped sending to the UK several months ago...they are still looking for a UK partner to resume transfers to the UK.  Plus a person will need to be in Thailand to register....DeeMoney for a while would do registration totally online, but now require you to visit a DeeMoney branch in person to finalize the registration.

I can concur with this re DeeMoney.   Over the last few days I was in Bangkok and enquired about opening an account there.   They stated they are still unable to transfer funds to the UK and for the foreseeable future.

Update - thanks all, I've decided to take out my daily limit each day via ATM which has worked for today, it means I have to do it in batches and get charged everytime but it seems to be the best way around it for now!

13 minutes ago, LMN2019 said:

Update - thanks all, I've decided to take out my daily limit each day via ATM which has worked for today, it means I have to do it in batches and get charged everytime but it seems to be the best way around it for now!

Superrich1965 could have done it for you.

https://www.superrich1965.com/home.php?language=en

http://www.superrichuk.com

11 hours ago, LMN2019 said:

Yes it seems so, I bank with Natwest and I usually cannot take out more than £250ish a day. 

I can change the 20,000 limit on the SCB Easy App but in order to do so it wants to send a confirmation code to my mobile number (which is my thai number and not in use anymore as I am now in the UK and using a UK sim!) I can also change my contact number but I would have to go in store, which I cannot do as there are no SCB branches here in the UK, lol!

put your Thai sim in a phone and turn it on and see if the SMS comes through.

I have the same situation with an account on the Philippines. And since they switched to chip cards I can't even withdraw at the ATM anymore. Only solution seems to be to fly to the Philippines at least according to the bank. 

Does anybody know a good forum for such topics concerning the Phillipines? Perhaps someone has an idea there. 

On 10/1/2019 at 3:15 PM, Max69xl said:

We're talking about one salary in baht. How much can it be?

I was asking this question because a friend came from EU to try and set up a business in Thailand but it failed.  He decided to return home but could not send back about 150.000 Baht left in his Thai bank account. The bank director told him that a solution would be that my Thai wife got the money and then send it to him in several tranches under the pretext "help for family"...and this method worked.  But money speculators move no doubt millions of Thai Baht in and out of Thailand without problems and how do they do that?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 12:46 PM, fvw53 said:

I was asking this question because a friend came from EU to try and set up a business in Thailand but it failed.  He decided to return home but could not send back about 150.000 Baht left in his Thai bank account. The bank director told him that a solution would be that my Thai wife got the money and then send it to him in several tranches under the pretext "help for family"...and this method worked.  But money speculators move no doubt millions of Thai Baht in and out of Thailand without problems and how do they do that?

If the money in the bank account originally comes from a foreign transfer it should be perfectly ok to transfer them back overseas when going back home. 

i have signed up at western union in Thailand for an account in anticipation of withdrawing money from my Bangkok account  to my US bank. Will run into the same problems as the OP ????? There are many advertisments on Thai Visa on transfering funds into Thailand, but no ads to transfer money out of Thailand.

i know transferewise cannot  transfer out only in. does Western Union work ????

On 11/6/2019 at 9:50 AM, Max69xl said:

If the money in the bank account originally comes from a foreign transfer it should be perfectly ok to transfer them back overseas when going back home. 

Only if you got the paperwork at the time.