I never get food poisoning in the states but I do here..

But surely their kitchens should be better cleansed than say some street vendor selling pork on a stick?
That's just what I think.
The street vendor probably doesn't store a lot of produce, reducing the risk. The wok is always on the go and fast turnover at street vendor
Restaurants tend to store more and risk out of date or cross contaminated food.
I have never had a problem at street vendors, but have a quite a robust constitution.
When I have had problems its normally been when eating western food in Thailand

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Odd i have heard this more this once. Foreigners eating at expensive restaurants believing the food is a higher quality and safer. Have you learned a lesson here?

I have also been poisoned many times by street food stalls. Its not just the so called quality of the establishment, its down to the carelessness of whoever is cooking!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

????

On the rare occasions we eat out, we go to a place that is packed with local folk...The locals know best.....????

Yes they do. I see an English menu or many foreigners in a restaurant i am often seen running in the other direction. Not willing to pay 180 baht of more for Fried Rice when i can often find better for 30 baht and often a nicer staff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

I have also been poisoned many times by street food stalls. Its not just the so called quality of the establishment, its down to the carelessness of whoever is cooking!

I never have and have eaten at hundreds of places throughout Thailand.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Yes they do. I see an English menu or many foreigners in a restaurant i am often seen running in the other direction. Not willing to pay 180 baht of more for Fried Rice when i can often find better for 30 baht and often a nicer staff.

I don't go to places full of foreigners, and come to think of it, very little written English...I wouldn't pay that for rice either...Local folk won't pay it...But then I am not near a tourist hot spot..

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The OP isn't getting food poisoning, he's simply getting an upset stomach. I would reckon he has a natural intolerance to monosodium glutamate or MSG or pohm chaloat as it's called here. Even the best cooks, especially at western hotels, cheat with this flavor-enhancer. It can cover a multitude of culinary sins.

Not sure where "here" is but in Thailand it's called "phohng chuu roht".

If you are correct about the OP having an intolerance to MSG I would suggest he stops eating immediately, as MSG occurs naturally in virtually all food.

Cooks use MSG not to "cover culinary sins" but to add one of the 5 basic tastes - umami, the others being sweetness, sourness, bitterness, and saltiness.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Not sure where "here" is but in Thailand it's called "phohng chuu roht".

Yes. “pong”sound, not “phom”.

pong= powder. 

Same word, pong curry= powder curry. Popular one.

why Kellar sick so much? Maybe not wash hands. 

Poor Kellar. 

Get well soon.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

Say what??

how can customers be blamed for being poisoned?

your logic is beyond all comprehension! 

well dude, when you roll up to the veggie patch, watch some dude blast a dookie into a ditch two feet from the veggies, then without somuch as even saying the word wash, he hands you a cuc and invites you to take a bite......

Only ever been sick once in Thailand from the food, and that was after a lunch at a very "smart" hotel restaurant in BKK.

Generally eat market/street food at least once a day.

Food cooked at high heat, fresh is not likely to make you unwell, as the high heat kills most of any bugs

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

I got sick a couple of times in US from frozen shrimp. Here we get fresh shrimp and I haven't had problems. But some people are afraid to try anything new (their loss)

Water systems in most areas are good. Although not as easy to see the water cycle is the same in the US. Water pumped from rivers go to treatment plants, is treated , filtered and put in the pipe. The process is the same here. When you see a water tower stop and ask. They have the same multi step process as in the US. Neither system removes all dissolved pesticides so it good both in the US and here to have charcoal filtration.

Water treatment is the same here as _____________. 

That's a whopper.  It's not even universal within Thailand itself.

The subtle dig about people afraid to try something new. Noted.  

At least you left the escape hatch open with the word "mostly".  Good move considering the glaringly obvious lack of standards, workmanship and compliance/QA/QC.  That's not a bash, it just is.

You REALLY think you're the only guy who ever thought to stop and check out the gear and infrastructure at one's local reservoir?  Or perhaps inquire with the Tessaban guys in that softly-softly way so they don't start telling porkies like, "Yeah, buddy, we do same as in the USA!". ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

well dude, when you roll up to the veggie patch, watch some dude blast a dookie into a ditch two feet from the veggies, then without somuch as even saying the word wash, he hands you a cuc and invites you to take a bite......

Some workers dumping in a field is nothing. They spray pig sludge on vegan veggies all the time. Fortunately this is only an issue if they do it too close to harvest. 

Edited by Tayaout

If you get a bad reaction to the food here don't go to the middle east, I got amoebic dysentery in Egypt. 

I shared two plates of SomTam with black crab in Nana one night many moons ago when I had just come in from offshore, never touched the stuff since, I threw up all the way down Sukhumvit from the back of a TukTuk and was sick for a couple of days, but that was nothing compared to the Egyptian experience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't had a single incident of food poisoning since I started to make (and drink) keffir milk.

In my gut,. there are now billions of aggressive probiotic 'bugs' just itching for a fight with any food-borne bacteria......

Probiotic troop back-up is given every day....

Keffir milk/yogurt smells pretty strong and is sharp as a knife, but definite works to look after your gut.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I haven't had a single incident of food poisoning since I started to make (and drink) keffir milk.

In my gut,. there are now billions of aggressive probiotic 'bugs' just itching for a fight with any food-borne bacteria......

Probiotic troop back-up is given every day....

Keffir milk/yogurt smells pretty strong and is sharp as a knife, but definite works to look after your gut.

What the hell is a keffir, and how do you milk them?  ???? I'm glad I know you're not a saffer simon or we could all be in trouble.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chazar said:

eh??? isnt salad  one of the easiest ways to get food  poisoning

Surely not if you properly wash the vegs.

Btw, i almost never eat salad, vegetarians don't need a lot of raw food, while eating raw food is quite recommended to carnivores.