Aust OAP, can I apply at one Centrelink office , but attend interviews etc., at another CL office

scorecard

After I apply at Centrelink, can I change to another Centrelink office to attend the interview or visit other Cl offices to seek information re my specific case, etc?

Also, is the initial interview always at the office where the application was lodged? 

Also, is the initial interview ever conducted by phone?

Any experiences anybody can share much appreciated, thanks.

First contact at a Centrelink office was only to provide ID and register for an online Mygov account.

Application was lodged online.

There was no formal interview.

Second and last contact was to provide ID to finalize the application.

Any Centrelink office was suitable as I was not confined to my local office.

Centrelink did post a questionnaire, which was returned on line, and also a formal acceptance and pension card.

All other contact was either online or by telephone.

I found that attending a Centrelink office was counter-productive and for any serious questions I asked there, I was told to contact Aged Pensions by phone.

13 hours ago, LosLobo said:

First contact at a Centrelink office was only to provide ID and register for an online Mygov account.

Application was lodged online.

There was no formal interview.

Second and last contact was to provide ID to finalize the application.

Any Centrelink office was suitable as I was not confined to my local office.

Centrelink did post a questionnaire, which was returned on line, and also a formal acceptance and pension card.

All other contact was either online or by telephone.

I found that attending a Centrelink office was counter-productive and for any serious questions I asked there, I was told to contact Aged Pensions by phone.

Valuable information, thank you.

Can I please check a few points:

- You did initially go to a CL office to start an account, then everything from there was on-line?

- You lodge the application on-line. Did you complete the documents on line? Or print them 25+ pages) then check the boxes etc in handwriting, then scan all the pages and then send? Or....

- Was providing proof of identity first or last in the process? and did you need to attend in person to show original documents? 

Also, I've been trying to get this all clear by reading everything on the CL website. It seems to say that the applicant must be 2 items of proof of identity with photos, I'm assuming 1 item can be current  Australian passport, in regard to the second item the CL website seems to indicate that this can be any officially issued document from anywhere in the world. So, would Thai driving license suffice? 

Plus they require other items of proof of identity with no photo. I'm assuming that could be certificate of birth, rental agreement (obviously stating the address of the accommodation), and statement from Macquarie bank with personal address but it would need to same address as shown in the rental agreement. Does that sound correct? 

- Can you recall how long it took from sending the application on-line to getting notice that your OAP was approved?

- I'm guessing payments started very quickly after the approval (next fortnightly payment as long as there's enough time for the processing). Is that correct?

Thanks again, appreciated.

ID Run Around

After getting off the plane I hit the ground running and virtually went straight to Centrelink.

For identification I needed 3 items of ID, one from each ID Group.

Commencement
Passport or Full Birth Certificate

Primary
Australian Licence or
Marriage Certificate or
Foreign Passport

Secondary
Bank or financial institution card, statement or passbook 
or Documents issued by foreign governments (incl foreign driving licence)

I used my Passport as ID to get my Mygov Account and my CRN number to at least begin the online application.

But I had a problem as I didn't have any photo ID with a current address.

My Australian licence had expired less than 5 years ago so I was able get my old one renewed with my passport as ID and a formal letter of introduction showing my new address from a branch of my Australian bank luckily next door to the State Licence office.

The new photo licence was posted to my new address and with my Bank Visa Card, I was able to theoretically personally deliver Centrelink's ID requirements to their office within the 14 day completion of application limit.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-claim/confirm-your-identity#a1

to be continued...…..

35 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

ID Run Around

After getting off the plane I hit the ground running and virtually went straight to Centrelink.

For identification I needed 3 items of ID, one from each ID Group.

Commencement
Passport or Full Birth Certificate

Primary
Australian Licence or
Marriage Certificate or
Foreign Passport

Secondary
Bank or financial institution card, statement or passbook 
or Documents issued by foreign governments (incl foreign driving licence)

I used my Passport as ID to get my Mygov Account and my CRN number to at least begin the online application.

But I had a problem as I didn't have any photo ID with a current address.

My Australian licence had expired less than 5 years ago so I was able get my old one renewed with my passport as ID and a formal letter of introduction showing my new address from a branch of my Australian bank luckily next door to the State Licence office.

The new photo licence was posted to my new address and with my Bank Visa Card, I was able to theoretically personally deliver Centrelink's ID requirements to their office within the 14 day completion of application limit.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-claim/confirm-your-identity#a1

to be continued...…..

Interesting, have you got your pension yet?

Your comment got off the plane, does that mean you have not been absent and done your two years qualifying and you just had a short sojurn.

I waited 101 days exactly from submitting my application till it was validated. A friend waited just a few days short of 6 months for her pension.

I had to go in after submitting online and provide ID’s, that was in the 101 days. The monies I eventually received after the approval was backdated to the date I qualified, a nice tidy sum. 

Just watch out though because what you receive could be taxable depending on your incomes/circumstances so don’t blow it all when you get it, check your status with tax.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

- Was providing proof of identity first or last in the process? and did you need to attend in person to show original documents? 

Also, I've been trying to get this all clear by reading everything on the CL website. It seems to say that the applicant must be 2 items of proof of identity with photos, I'm assuming 1 item can be current  Australian passport, in regard to the second item the CL website seems to indicate that this can be any officially issued document from anywhere in the world. So, would Thai driving license suffice? 

Plus they require other items of proof of identity with no photo. I'm assuming that could be certificate of birth, rental agreement (obviously stating the address of the accommodation), and statement from Macquarie bank with personal address but it would need to same address as shown in the rental agreement. Does that sound correct? 

ID Run Around continued...

In the first instance, you must present yourself in person at a Centrelink Service Centre with ID to get a Mygov Account and a CRN number to begin the application process.

The Centrelink ID site says: 

"We can’t accept copies or certified copies" and then says

"once we verify your photo identity, you can give us the other identity documents online"

Obviously this is mutually exclusive as you cannot supply the original online, they must be copies.

I found that is was easier to attend the Centrelink office with the subsequent ID when it was available than to wait an hour on a phone call to get a clarification from Centrelink.

Personally I wouldn't present a thai driving licence as you are now an Australian resident and I would get an Australian licence if you already don't have one.

For identification you need 3 items of ID, one from each ID Group as discussed above.

to be continued...….

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

- You did initially go to a CL office to start an account, then everything from there was on-line?

- You lodge the application on-line. Did you complete the documents on line? Or print them 25+ pages) then check the boxes etc in handwriting, then scan all the pages and then send? Or....

- Can you recall how long it took from sending the application on-line to getting notice that your OAP was approved?

- I'm guessing payments started very quickly after the approval (next fortnightly payment as long as there's enough time for the processing). Is that correct?

Thanks again, appreciated.

Yes everything else was on-line or on the telephone except for some Centrelink correspondence thru the post.

Yes I completed the application on line. Before completing the application I would get a copy (pdf) for your own reference coz once you press the go button you never get to see it again.

From go to wow I waited 5 to 6 months!

Once it was approved it was less than two weeks before payment though I did not get all that I felt was due.

I had to appeal and although I won the appeal a few weeks later it was another 9 months before payment was finalized.

Another tip .....do not take any documentation to the Centrelink Office or send anything by post as there is a high probability that it will get lost. 

You will have control over your documentation thru the online facility. You don't need to scan it you can use your phone to take pictures!

Good Luck

51 minutes ago, Brer said:

Interesting, have you got your pension yet?

Your comment got off the plane, does that mean you have not been absent and done your two years qualifying and you just had a short sojurn.

I waited 101 days exactly from submitting my application till it was validated. A friend waited just a few days short of 6 months for her pension.

I had to go in after submitting online and provide ID’s, that was in the 101 days. The monies I eventually received after the approval was backdated to the date I qualified, a nice tidy sum. 

Just watch out though because what you receive could be taxable depending on your incomes/circumstances so don’t blow it all when you get it, check your status with tax.

Yes I have the pension.

No, none of the above. There is no two years qualification period requirement for getting the Aged Pension .

On 10/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, LosLobo said:

Yes I have the pension.

No, none of the above. There is no two years qualification period requirement for getting the Aged Pension .

You said you got of the plane and went of to Centrelink that’s fine if Centrelink consider you an Australian resident .

However if you have been absent from the country and If you are not considered to have been an Australian resident by Centrelink then you will need to remain in Australia for two years after your Age Pension is granted. If you leave, your Age Pension is ceased immediately. However, you can take a holiday as long as you are considered a resident of Australia. Centrelink will advise if your absence is considered temporary and how long you can remain outside of Australia before your Age Pension is affected.

If you want to get your pension and have been absent from the country and are not considered resident and you don’t want your pension cancelled if you leave the country again then you need to make sure you return to Australia two years prior to applying for the pension to qualify for it.

The poster has numerous posts which makes me think he might be resident here in Thailand and might not be considered to be an Australia resident by Centrelink even though he could be an Australian citizen.

The above was applicable to myself.

Not looking for an argument just pointing something out Cobber.

20 hours ago, Brer said:

You said you got of the plane and went of to Centrelink that’s fine if Centrelink consider you an Australian resident .

However if you have been absent from the country and If you are not considered to have been an Australian resident by Centrelink then you will need to remain in Australia for two years after your Age Pension is granted. If you leave, your Age Pension is ceased immediately. However, you can take a holiday as long as you are considered a resident of Australia. Centrelink will advise if your absence is considered temporary and how long you can remain outside of Australia before your Age Pension is affected.

If you want to get your pension and have been absent from the country and are not considered resident and you don’t want your pension cancelled if you leave the country again then you need to make sure you return to Australia two years prior to applying for the pension to qualify for it.

The poster has numerous posts which makes me think he might be resident here in Thailand and might not be considered to be an Australia resident by Centrelink even though he could be an Australian citizen.

The above was applicable to myself.

Not looking for an argument just pointing something out Cobber.

Yes you are correct!

I didn't realise who the poster was.

If I had I would not have responded to his posts.

Looking at the poster's previous posts he will not be eligible for the Aged Pension.

By his own admission he is not a genuine returning resident.

9 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Yes you are correct!

I didn't realise who the poster was.

If I had I would not have responded to his posts.

Looking at the poster's previous posts he will not be eligible for the Aged Pension.

By his own admission he is not a genuine returning resident.

Posters on the bigger Aus OAP thread mention getting granted "portability" after  applying and staying in Aus the 2 year period.

From what i understand, after you satisfy the requirements you are free to travel once again?

Are you saying he must remain in Aus for good to keep the pension?

As long as he is an Aus citizen, surely he can return anytime and apply?

The amount of time he lived/worked in Aus might alter the conditions but surely he can still apply?

Posters on the bigger Aus OAP thread mention getting granted "portability" after  applying and staying in Aus the 2 year period.
From what i understand, after you satisfy the requirements you are free to travel once again?

Are you saying he must remain in Aus for good to keep the pension?

As long as he is an Aus citizen, surely he can return anytime and apply?

The amount of time he lived/worked in Aus might alter the conditions but surely he can still apply?

Guides to Social Policy Law

Social Security Guide

Version 1.258 - Released 20 September 2019

Requirements for Former Residents of Australia Receiving a Portable Pension

https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social--law/7/1/4

A claim for pension can be lodged by a former resident ONLY IF, on the evidence available, there is a clear intention to remain permanently in Australia. A person who intends to return to Australia for a 24 month period only would not be an 'Australian resident' as per SSAct subsection 7(2).

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The OP's best bet is to make an appointment with a Financial Services Officer. They know all the various rules and regulations, and can offer unbiased advice on the OP's situation.

While it doesn't answer the OP's question, I would recommend one of them as his first port of call. Some of the Centrelink staff don't know their own rules. A minority have the disposition of pit vipers.

Archived