New Marriage Visa Rules... What Do I Do?

I am marrying my beautiful little Buri-ram girlfriend in the next couple of months. I have never had a work visa in Thailand, she doesn't have a job as I support her. How does one prove 40K p/mth income to immigration. Do I have to stay in with my wife in thailand on endless tourist visas with no hope of ever working.

Can someone please help me with a near to simple as possible explanation on what to do.... :D Pleeeeease :D:o

Edited by maestro
Large font size format removed.

Hi jaede. I'm not sure where you originate from, but you can obtain your non-immigrant 'O' (marriage) visa from a consulate/embassy in your home country/Malaysia and others, once you are leagaly married. That will give you your initial 90 day stay, which can then be extended for a year.

Proving your income is another story...your embassy can advise you on this. Many postings on Thai visa seem to suggest each foreign embassy has a different idea as to what is proof.

I just got a reply from mine (australian), and they inform me that they will certify a statutory declaration written by me, stating my income of over 40k/month. Some of the guys on thai visa forum have similar happy stories regarding their embassy..... some have not.

Some additional evidence may be nessasary at Thai immigration that you are withdrawing/transfering the funds to Thailand my embassy says.

mike

:o Thanks am looking into it further, but is a bit complex. :D It seems to be too much for the Thais to keep things simple.... But perservere I will :D Thing is my gf doesn't understand how complicated it is... Guess she will soon learn!!! :D

Keep on keeping on...... I've done it under the old 400,000 baht rule before (it was just too easy). Next month our second boy is born and not long after I get to find out if Thai imm. is gonna let me live with him, his mum and brother..... Got all of the income...cash if they want it in the bank and everything else they want/ed..... but many expat horror stories are not making me all that comfortable..... One thing for sure - I will be applying in Bangkok where you have a good chance of someone actually knowing the new rules.

Keep on keeping on...... I've done it under the old 400,000 baht rule before (it was just too easy). Next month our second boy is born and not long after I get to find out if Thai imm. is gonna let me live with him, his mum and brother..... Got all of the income...cash if they want it in the bank and everything else they want/ed..... but many expat horror stories are not making me all that comfortable..... One thing for sure - I will be applying in Bangkok where you have a good chance of someone actually knowing the new rules.

You are ( or should be under the 'grandfather' rule Mike ). For you there should be no change as long as you can still show 400,000 Th baht credit in a bank in Thailand.

You are ( or should be under the 'grandfather' rule Mike ). For you there should be no change as long as you can still show 400,000 Th baht credit in a bank in Thailand.

Long story short 'doc'. Silly me listened to advice from a potential employer and changed my 'O' (2 previous) for a 'B' on my second last visit to Aussie ....as it would "make getting you a work permit easier". On arrival back in Thailand I was promptly told "we can't pay you what we said before, now we are going to pay you......". I can't write on this forum my reply to this!

So, I am re-starting on a new non-imm 'O'! 555. (Wish I'd joined thaivisa earlier and gotten some advice from the learned gentlemen and ladies)

Don't get me wrong, given the state of the Thai economy I'm happy to leave cash in OZ until I want to spend it....I'm just a little nervous anytime Thai imm. gets to make the rules on whether or not I can stay with my family.

Makes me wish I'd joined Thai visa before last month. 555