20,000 needed to show when arriving on non-o?

Is it recommended to have 20,000 cash to show at the airport immigration desk (if asked) to prove enough funds for the trip if you are entering on a non-o based on marriage? Or is this 20,000 recommendation/rule only for people on tourist visas?

Any foreigner can be asked at any entry. The probability is low if you are on a long stay visa or extension of stay. Nevertheless, I had 20,000 baht on me when I returned from the US a week ago. I am on a 1 year extension of stay.

Just weigh the trouble and inconvenience of carrying 20,000 baht with the consequences of not having it if asked. If you are just looking for a recommendation then I would recommend Yes. It depends on your risk tolerance.

BTW - I was not asked last week. I’ve never been asked.

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 2

The chance that you will be asked is very small, but it's not zero. So if you want to be safe you carry 20k

To the people who say they were never asked: I was never asked for money when entering as a tourist (so far 4 times this year), but this doesn't mean that i would recommend somebody to not carry the money.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I haven't heard of anyone on a non O being asked for this. You show financials to qualify for the visa or visa extension.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is what I thought ,I have my bank book with ,complete with 800k  just in case ,or has it got to be cash ? but like other members never been asked ,just a stamped passport and away. 

On 10/9/2019 at 1:22 AM, Tanoshi said:

Tourist Visa.

Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

Non Immigrant Visa.

Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

This shows what is required for applying for the visa (the documents needed etc.)

My question is about what may be asked at the airport. I already have the visa

If the Ministry says so then the answer is Yes. I am surprised because I didn’t have it when I came in on a new passport and visa a few years ago. Once you have extended then those instructions will no longer apply because you will have money in the country. 

1 hour ago, drh1010 said:

This shows what is required for applying for the visa (the documents needed etc.)

Any foreigner with any kind of visa or extension can be asked to produce 20,000 baht by an IO at the airport. The likelihood of being asked if, like me, you are on a 1 year extension or say, an O-A visa is negligible. Nevertheless, I made sure to have 20,000 baht in cash on me when I returned from a trip to the US two weeks ago. People trying to enter after a long history of back-to-back tourist visas and extensions are much more likely to be asked to show the 20,000 baht.

I normally enter from the U.K on a visa exempt (every 3 months or so) and stay for 1 month.

I always carry about 10 thousand baht and the rest in GBP (about 1000 GBP) - is this acceptable if questioned? Or should I be carrying 20,000 in Thai baht on entry?

1 minute ago, mikesalaugh said:

I always carry about 10 thousand baht and the rest in GBP (about 1000 GBP) - is this acceptable if questioned? Or should I be carrying 20,000 in Thai baht on entry?

That's acceptable. Any currency which can easily be exchanged is ok, just has to be the equivalent of 10k/20k THB.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2019 at 8:36 PM, jackdd said:

The chance that you will be asked is very small, but it's not zero. So if you want to be safe you carry 20k

To the people who say they were never asked: I was never asked for money when entering as a tourist (so far 4 times this year), but this doesn't mean that i would recommend somebody to not carry the money.

Yes I been here twice this year and never been ask to show any money,

and I will arrive again in a month time, but I always carry cash with me.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 4:50 AM, Martyp said:

Just weigh the trouble and inconvenience of carrying 20,000 baht with the consequences of not having it if asked. If you are just looking for a recommendation then I would recommend Yes. It depends on your risk tolerance.

When I leave Thailand I usually have 5K BHT with me. When I return from US or Europe, I ensure that I get 500 dollar or Euro in crisp 100 denomination bills from ATM  and as soon as I reach Bangkok, I convert them to BHT in sukumvit and put it in my Bangkok Bank. Used to carry TCs and then it becomes dead money if not in circulation for long time and also it costs money, to purchase them. Have not used travellers check for a long time.

Edited by onera1961

Any foreigner can be asked at any entry. The probability is low if you are on a long stay visa or extension of stay. Nevertheless, I had 20,000 baht on me when I returned from the US a week ago. I am on a 1 year extension of stay.

BTW - I was not asked last week. I’ve never been asked.

Have it on you when coming back in to Thailand no matter what visa , extension or re-entry permit you have when arriving so no chance of having a problem [emoji106] it’s your money so it cost you nothing but if for any reason we’re asked and did not have it that would be hassle so why risk it .

On 10/10/2019 at 11:32 AM, drh1010 said:

Which Embassy did you get a Non O from where the financial was 20K THB.