Taiwanese man given life sentence for heroin smuggling

webfact

Taiwanese man given life sentence for heroin smuggling

8pm.jpg

Thai caption: Life sentence

A thirty eight year old Taiwanese man was given a life sentence for attempting to smuggle 5.6 kilos of heroin through Don Muang airport in April of this year.

Chern had hidden the Class 1 drug in 18 tins of well known talcum powder contained in two cardboard boxes.

He was going back to Taiwan when the drugs were discovered. Two phones were also taken into evidence.

The Ratchada court in Bangkok commuted the death sentence to life in prison as the smuggler had proved helpful in the investigation. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-11

23 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

He was born in the wrong country. Had he been Thai, then this would have been seen as a minor issue, some shenanigan from the past.

If he was Thai he would have got the death sentence as unlike Indonesia, Thailand doesint execute foreigners.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, nightfox said:

If he was Thai he would have got the death sentence as unlike Indonesia, Thailand doesint execute foreigners.

I don't think the Thais have executed anybody in quite a while.  Maybe put on death row, but not execute.  Wiki says:

Since 1935 Thailand has executed 326 persons, 319 by shooting (the last was executed on 11 December 2003) and seven by lethal injection (the latest was executed on 18 June 2018). As of March 2018, 510 persons remain on death

2 minutes ago, champers said:
11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Thailand doesn't execute any nationality at the moment.

They executed someone just last year.

So you're agreeing with me, then, as I said, Thailand doesn't execute anyone at the moment.  The subject in the OP was sentenced recently, not last year.

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So you're agreeing with me, then, as I said, Thailand doesn't execute anyone at the moment.  The subject in the OP was sentenced recently, not last year.

In today's Bangkok Post just 8% of Thais agreed to abolishing the death penalty. I think last year is recent and government hasn't rescinded the policy to execute.

18 hours ago, champers said:
18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

In today's Bangkok Post just 8% of Thais agreed to abolishing the death penalty. I think last year is recent and government hasn't rescinded the policy to execute.

So, as I said, Thailand does not execute anyone at the moment. 

I'm not sure what the relevance of the Bangkok Post 8% opinion is to my comment.