Unfurnished Housing: Easy To Find?

viviana

Hi all!

Getting as much info as possible before an eventual relocation to Bkk :o

From all the real-estate websites and other expats, it seems that all houses, appartements etc... come fully ( and tastefully) furnished.

Can someone tell if it is the rule there or is it possible to find unfurnished places except for white appliances?

In the event that it is not very common, is there some reliable storage companies you can recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

cheers!

it seems that all houses, appartements etc... come fully ( and tastefully) furnished.

Wrong on both counts.

My own experience in Bangkok is that the ratio of furnished to unfurnished rentals is more or less the same as you would find in any big city, particularly in larger condos that are on the market. And, in point of fact, I have never seen anything here I would describe as 'tastfully furnished.' Maybe 'functionally furnished,' but that's probably the best you can hope for in a rental.

As far as condo purchases go, you'll find very, very few come furnished.

Thank you all very much for your inputs regarding the housing part.. but has anyone heard of good -decently priced storage companies???? :o

whattodo-- Viviana, i wouldnt of thought it cost effective to bring your own furniture ? 
Agree with you whattodo.. however being all over the world for many years and not having any home anywhere... furnitures and eveything go where we go!... hence alos my question on storage companies...
OldAsiaHand-- I have never seen anything here I would describe as 'tastfully furnished.' Maybe 'functionally furnished,' but that's probably the best you can hope for in a rental.

Thanks for the precision ... indeed "taste" is a matter of culture and sensitivity..

Thank you all very much for your inputs regarding the housing part.. but has anyone heard of good -decently priced storage companies???? :o

As far as I'm aware, there is no equivalent of the American self-storage facility here at all, so you're ultimately going to have to pay someone for warehousing services.

I'm not certain whether you would agree that they are 'reasonably priced,' but one of the leading companies hereabouts that does international moving and storeage for foreigners is Transpo. We've used them for storage several times and have nothng but nice things to say about them and their facilities.

Most apartments catering for farangs rent out as "furnished" for tax reasons even if you rent it with no furniture. Just tell them that you want to rent unfurnished but don't mind if the bill says "furnished" and they will remove the furniture you don't want.

This is why it is not uncommon that the amount quoted for the furniture is usually 2/3 of the total rent. Tax reasons, not real costs...

Would the rent go down if we rent unfurnished or does it remain the same?

No difference.

Whatever furniture they give you is pretty cheap stuff.

If you do not want it, they will remove it.

But they will sure not lower the price for that.

Anyway, in conclusion, I do not think bargaining the rental price has anything to do with the furniture,...

one last question--for now!

Would the rent go down if we rent unfurnished or does it remain the same?

It could even go up because they don't get the tax benefit if the full amount is rent. 2/3 of my rent was "furniture" and 1/3 was "rent" simply because the land lord pays less tax on the furniture part.