Proper Attire For Middle Aged Man In Chiang Mai

bungalowbill

On the subject of dressing properly. I recently had a close friend come from Europe on holiday. When he flew back, I suggested he wear one of HM's yellow shirts with a (quality) suit jacket and trousers, socks and polished shoes completed the ensemble. Lo and behold, he was upgraded to first from economy.

This has happened to me too, on more than one occasion. Amazing the effect a bit of care can have.

? How does that happen? Do you ask? Is it a free upgrade?

And, if I dress in a tuxedo, does that mean that I can take the captain's seat? :o

On the subject of dressing properly. I recently had a close friend come from Europe on holiday. When he flew back, I suggested he wear one of HM's yellow shirts with a (quality) suit jacket and trousers, socks and polished shoes completed the ensemble. Lo and behold, he was upgraded to first from economy.

This has happened to me too, on more than one occasion. Amazing the effect a bit of care can have.

Dressing smartly will definately put you at the front of the queue when it comes to upgrades, but is no guarantee. Upgrades are only given when the flight is overbooked in economy, and "frequent flyers" get the first bite, closely followed by anyone who is smartly attired. Dress slacks with a shirt and jacket will get you nibbling on Chateau Briand far quicker than singlet and thongs!!

Dressing smartly will definately put you at the front of the queue when it comes to upgrades, but is no guarantee. Upgrades are only given when the flight is overbooked in economy, and "frequent flyers" get the first bite, closely followed by anyone who is smartly attired. Dress slacks with a shirt and jacket will get you nibbling on Chateau Briand far quicker than singlet and thongs!!

For the very good reason that the airline doesn't want the full-fare businessman to realise that their next-door neighbour is a cut-price intruder from cattle-class !

When travelling on business, which I used formerly to spend my life doing 3 weeks per month, I sometimes dressed for comfort, rather than style, because it was after all the only free time I got. I suspect that the more-soberly-dressed less-frequent-travellers were slightly jealous. :o

That's an excellent story. I will pimp up for my next flight, that's for sure.

I am preparing for a major assault on the tailor's right now... with fists full of cash, naturally. Just one thing, if I am not wearing jeans/shorts/fatigues what else is cool enough for this climate? What fabric? What styles? I also live in the country so dirt-repellent clothes would be excellent.

When I think about the usual dress like suits and shirts when it's 40 degrees outside just like right now, it's not a good thought. Hmmm... even worse for shoes, all closed shoes that I have are just way too hot to wear in Thailand on a daily basis. I am not in air-con-land here.

As you might gather I don't own many suits (one, to be precise, but it's a ni$$$$$ce one) so any advice will be appreciated :o

That's an excellent story. I will pimp up for my next flight, that's for sure.

I am preparing for a major assault on the tailor's right now... with fists full of cash, naturally. Just one thing, if I am not wearing jeans/shorts/fatigues what else is cool enough for this climate? What fabric? What styles? I also live in the country so dirt-repellent clothes would be excellent.

When I think about the usual dress like suits and shirts when it's 40 degrees outside just like right now, it's not a good thought. Hmmm... even worse for shoes, all closed shoes that I have are just way too hot to wear in Thailand on a daily basis. I am not in air-con-land here.

As you might gather I don't own many suits (one, to be precise, but it's a ni$$$$$ce one) so any advice will be appreciated :o

My experience in Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Philippines is a well cut and tailered pair of trousers with shirts will get you most times. In Thailand I wear short sleeve, open neck buisiness shirts in a 98% cotton 2 % poly mix. They wash well, hold their shape, and BREATHE. High percentage poly shirts will kill you. I have a long sleeve shirt in the office (plain white) and a tie incase I am called to dinner (formal) with a client. I also keep a tailered light jacket in a light wool/cashmere mix which comes from Australia. It is light, breathes, and looks good. I have a light tailered suit at home but almost never wear it. I am lucky that I know where to find a dry cleaner in Chiang Mai who can do the job of cleaning and pressing properly. I got rid of my suit collection when I moved here permanently, it isn't necessary to wear them and in many cases is downright inappropriate. Nor do you have to spend a fist full of cash to get something suitable for this country. The very expensive broadcloths that would be suitable for London are impossible to wear here. I prefer the natural fibres over synthetic but avoid like the plague anything made of linen because it may look great in an old 50s film but they look like a dish rag after a couple of hours in the heat on the streets of Bangkok.

Normally unless it is a really formal dinner the rule I follow is neat, clean, and worn properly. I have seen some beautiful suits that have obviously cost their owner a lot of money and they get thrown on without care.

Buy a proper leather belt without a big crocodile on the buckle and when it wears - replace it. Shoes can be a pain here if like me you have size 11 hind feet. I alternate my shoes and polish them when they are still warm from being warn. I always go for real leather - plastic will melt your feet and if you find them too hot think about getting a pair of brogues - the ones with the punched holes to let out he heat. I wouldn't wear them with a suit but they are perfectly acceptable for trouser and shirt combinations.

Personal hygene is something frequently overlooked among the farung in the tropics so the normal advise of "be clean and smell good" but not like a florist shop will get you by. The post from Ricardo is valid for general situation as well as on the flight, be comfortable and look presentable.

Well there you go Beau Brummel - have fun at the tailor and remember - money can afford style but it can't buy it

CB

Well there you go Beau Brummel - have fun at the tailor and remember - money can afford style but it can't buy it

Thanks for this - any more advice esp. on what shoes is definitely appreciated. I know what's pretty but I don't know what's practical. Like I said, the box full of shoes I brought from back home are all too hot. I am going to try the ones with the holes, leather is definitely the way to go, I agree :o humm... in my size 10 - 11 they usually pull out the freak shoes though.

I wonder if there's shoe-makers in this country?! Back home we have a few, like a handful in Vienna where I am from. Hand-made shoes there cost > 300 EUR but they will also last 20 years. My dad even has 30-year old ones! Due to wear and tear they don't pass as dress-shoes anymore but are still good enough for casual wear - and he wears them :D

PS: Lucky for me I know what looks good. To the point where people are wondering if I am gay. I am not, but mom was a costume designer and professional style and color adviser - those people that go shopping with rich people who have money but no style :D

I wonder if there's shoe-makers in this country?! Back home we have a few, like a handful in Vienna where I am from. Hand-made shoes there cost > 300 EUR but they will also last 20 years. My dad even has 30-year old ones! Due to wear and tear they don't pass as dress-shoes anymore but are still good enough for casual wear - and he wears them :o

There are several, from the guy sitting at the entrance to Warorot Market making shoes out of old tyres, to some quite competent ones in Kad suan Kaew and elsewhere.

I'm afraid I can't give reccomendations, because the guy I used to use is no longer there. But I'm sure there are others on the board who can do so.

Just back from Immigration and had absolutely no problem in getting them to accept my thesis that the seven days prior to 90 day reporting date called for in the regs meant working days and so on the 30th of March got a new 90 day date when my actual reporting date was April 7.

I was dressed as previously posted and the Thai student who did most of the prep work complimented me on being so polite and advised me that all falang didn't act so.

A Canadian who needed a new 90 reporting date with a due date of April 8, a Sunday, my due date was Sat the 7th of April, had been waiting 45 minutes and was coming unglued because no one would help him.

He was the only falang there that didn't have long pants on. Likewise, he was talking about so many irrelevant issues that I had to tell him to stop talking three or four times as I narrowed his issues to be exactly like mine.

I intervened with counter staff, and only one word left my mouth before they took him in hand and his new date issued post haste. I can only conclude that my appearance and reputation for politeness preceded my intervention and my helping him raised his face sufficiently that they were willing to take care of him.

On another note, I will be posting in an original thread tomorrow the new printed rules for obtaining a Residence Certificate. New to me was a requirement to produce apartment rental agreement or tambian ban and ID card of your house owner as part of a number of other requirements including passport page copies.

In prior years, I was able to obtain a Residence Certificate from Immigration with no supporting documentation, merely fill out the form indicating where I lived and perhaps visa status.

I bought the requirement form in English home with me and will post it verbatim for all who may need a Residence Certificate.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

Just back from Immigration and had absolutely no problem in getting them to accept my thesis that the seven days prior to 90 day reporting date called for in the regs meant working days and so on the 30th of March got a new 90 day date when my actual reporting date was April 7.

I was dressed as previously posted and the Thai student who did most of the prep work complimented me on being so polite and advised me that all falang didn't act so.

A Canadian who needed a new 90 reporting date with a due date of April 8, a Sunday, my due date was Sat the 7th of April, had been waiting 45 minutes and was coming unglued because no one would help him.

He was the only falang there that didn't have long pants on. Likewise, he was talking about so many irrelevant issues that I had to tell him to stop talking three or four times as I narrowed his issues to be exactly like mine.

I intervened with counter staff, and only one word left my mouth before they took him in hand and his new date issued post haste. I can only conclude that my appearance and reputation for politeness preceded my intervention and my helping him raised his face sufficiently that they were willing to take care of him.

On another note, I will be posting in an original thread tomorrow the new printed rules for obtaining a Residence Certificate. New to me was a requirement to produce apartment rental agreement or tambian ban and ID card of your house owner as part of a number of other requirements including passport page copies.

In prior years, I was able to obtain a Residence Certificate from Immigration with no supporting documentation, merely fill out the form indicating where I lived and perhaps visa status.

I bought the requirement form in English home with me and will post it verbatim for all who may need a Residence Certificate.

Good job, ProThaiExpat! Were you wearing a King shirt, or just the short sleeve business oxford ?!

Yes, they require a copy of rental/lease agreement, a letter from landlord stating you are a tenant in good standing, as well as a copy of the Thai national ID card of the landlord (or manager). People who own their own property have to provide different corroborating documents- not exactly sure what these are, as I lease an apt.

I wonder if there's shoe-makers in this country?! Back home we have a few, like a handful in Vienna where I am from. Hand-made shoes there cost > 300 EUR but they will also last 20 years. My dad even has 30-year old ones! Due to wear and tear they don't pass as dress-shoes anymore but are still good enough for casual wear - and he wears them :o

There are several, from the guy sitting at the entrance to Warorot Market making shoes out of old tyres, to some quite competent ones in Kad suan Kaew and elsewhere.

I'm afraid I can't give reccomendations, because the guy I used to use is no longer there. But I'm sure there are others on the board who can do so.

Truck tyre sandals are the best - I bought a pair in 1978 (seriousl) at a roadside vendor on the Mai Rim Road heading out to the Army bases. The guy had a pile of old truck tyres and the process was that you put your foot on the inside of the tyre and he ran a chalk line around the foot then cut it out with a hacksaw blade with two wooden blocks as a handle tried up with string. He could cut them out in a couple of minutes while his wife gave a cup of water from the clay pot cooler that almost every house had outside the gate in those days. He used a big spike to punch the three holes and then made the straping out of cotton webbing - which oddly looked exactly like what we used as tie downs of the Army vehicles :D. He made me a pair out of Uniroyal Steel belt radials and I am sure I must have got 30,000km of wear out of them. It took a coupleof weeks to flatten the curve out of them but they were great in the wet, and fantastic on the really hot days when the road temperature could melt an ordinary pair of thongs/flip flops. Each trip back to Thailand I would bring them and get the strapping renewed and it was only 4 years ago that I lost them - some thieving mongrel stole them out front of a guesthouse I was staying it at Chiang Rai. If they hadn't been tea leafed I would still be wearing them around to this day.

Since then I have looked everywhere - even in Laos and Cambodia where they were the standard footware for soldiers - and have not been able to find them. Everyone knew the sandals and said how good they were but they have been replaced by cheap rubbish from China which are much easier to make.

I am trying to think where he would be at Warorot Markets because I did the rounds there looking for replacements and have not seen anyone do them for years.

CB

Thanks for this - any more advice esp. on what shoes is definitely appreciated. I know what's pretty but I don't know what's practical. Like I said, the box full of shoes I brought from back home are all too hot. I am going to try the ones with the holes, leather is definitely the way to go, I agree :o humm... in my size 10 - 11 they usually pull out the freak shoes though.

I wonder if there's shoe-makers in this country?! Back home we have a few, like a handful in Vienna where I am from. Hand-made shoes there cost > 300 EUR but they will also last 20 years. My dad even has 30-year old ones! Due to wear and tear they don't pass as dress-shoes anymore but are still good enough for casual wear - and he wears them :D

PS: Lucky for me I know what looks good. To the point where people are wondering if I am gay. I am not, but mom was a costume designer and professional style and color adviser - those people that go shopping with rich people who have money but no style :D

I have always loved Bally shoes and in Singapore I rotated three pairs because they need time to rest and recover from the heat. Each night I would polish them - much to the annoyance of my maid who I discovered a few weeks later redid them each morning. I like to polish the shoes at night when they are still warm from being worn. They are then rested for two days and I wear the next set that have been clean, polished, and left to air.

I found that if I wore them every day they never get time to air and start to smell and wear out very quickly. Good shoes last for many years and never go out of style. Fashion shoes last a season and they get thrown away.

Bally shoes are expensive but very well made and they have the right shape for my feet. I also had a pair with full leather but what was called a "aerosole" for walking in the street, it had a special foam rubber insert between the sole and the shoe to absorb the impact of my then 108kilo body. These were the only ones that had laces, the others were slip ons because even though Singapore isn't fixated with removing shoes like here in Thailand, most people remove them when going into a house. It is easier to do it with slip ons that having to do the "dance of the one legged man removing a shoe" that most westerners have to do. Personal choice.

I am trying to think where he would be at Warorot Markets because I did the rounds there looking for replacements and have not seen anyone do them for years.

From Thapae Road, turn into Kuang Mane, one way towards towards the market. Look out for the gold shop on the corner of the market, almost opposite Chiang Mai plastic. Just past the gold shop, there is an entrance where motorcycles can park. The guy is just there, although last time I saw him, he was using sheets of rubber, not old tyres. I bought two sets of Tyre sandals from him for my elder children last July.

If you enter the market through that entrance and walk past the parked motorcycles, you will find a little point-and-choose buffet-style restaurant with tin tables and plastic stools. This is one of our favourite places to eat in all Thailand and serves some of the best flavoured Thai food anywhere.

In Chiapas, I used to buy tyre sandals in San Cristobal de Las Casas, on a little side street (but we didn't call them sois). Leather straps! The straps wore out before the rubber ever did. I even wore them when riding the motorcycle, until a car rolled over my toenail end while I was standing between lanes. Ouch!

From Thapae Road, turn into Kuang Mane, one way towards towards the market. Look out for the gold shop on the corner of the market, almost opposite Chiang Mai plastic. Just past the gold shop, there is an entrance where motorcycles can park. The guy is just there, although last time I saw him, he was using sheets of rubber, not old tyres. I bought two sets of Tyre sandals from him for my elder children last July.

If you enter the market through that entrance and walk past the parked motorcycles, you will find a little point-and-choose buffet-style restaurant with tin tables and plastic stools. This is one of our favourite places to eat in all Thailand and serves some of the best flavoured Thai food anywhere.

Thanks very much - this Saturday morning I know where I will be - if needs be I'll bring my own tyre :o

CB

Truck tyre sandals are the best - ....

OMG I would so love to have those! Not exactly dress shoes but the idea of using steel belt radials for soles really makes a lot of sense to me :D

THey are seriously good value. If you get the steel belt radials though check carefully on the inside, sometimes they get a loose strand of wire poke through and it will really hurt :o

I thought about bringing a couple of cuttouts from a Pirelli Low Profile tyre of my BMW in Australia - it got a blowout but I kept the remnants as a reminder of what losing a tyre on a Nothern Territory road at just under 200km per hour looks like.

Radials are imho the way to go:

great grip in the wet - songkran

don't melt in the heat - songkran

if someone douses you and the baby with icy water you can smack 'em around the head with it and wipe the stupid smile of their face - songkran

don't distort under hard cornering or variations in speed - as you run off at full tilt after the guy's mates chase you for twacking their friend - songkran

get a pair - start a fashion revival - it worked for hushpuppies and it can work for truck tyre sandals

CB