Thailand Executive Diary 2004

Dutchy

published by the office of the permanent secretary, the Prime Minister's Office reveals some interesting information.

Apart from the Unseen Thailand and One Tambon One product bla bla the Social Harmony part is revealing. I quote:

"A comparitive study of Thai society with those of other countries in general constitutes an inappropriate approach to empirical and credible research. Because different people have different histories and cultures, it is unwise and even dangerous to looseley compare various instittions to one another. A description of the Thai people as viewed by yet another Western research team may be taken with mixed feelings."

This seems to confirm my idea that the Thais really do not like foreigners to comment on their way of doing things. Wouldn't it be time the Thai government adopt a more open attitude? We're living in a globalizing world isn't it? And the Thai way of doing things has not found or rarely found followers outside Thailand. That Thailand is critisized in the international press fall directly back to Thailand's actions with regards to Human Rights issues for instance, which is highly appropriate reporting.

Any thoughts?

Dutchy

PS I couldn't help to comment on this...

This seems to confirm my idea that the Thais really do not like foreigners to comment on their way of doing things. Wouldn't it be time the Thai government adopt a more open attitude? We're living in a globalizing world isn't it? And the Thai way of doing things has not found or rarely found followers outside Thailand. That Thailand is critisized in the international press fall directly back to Thailand's actions with regards to Human Rights issues for instance, which is highly appropriate reporting.

Any thoughts?

Dutchy

PS I couldn't help to comment on this...

I worked with Thais in heavy industry for more than twenty years, I was the project manager on two major greenfield expansion projects here in Thailand and I can tell you I was never very successful in changing the thought patterns of my Thai counterparts, nothing much ever gets done here unless there is some of the "Thai-way" involved.

Having said that the projects were successful in spite of my bitching and carrying on and doing so many things the Thai-way only if it was changing the color of paint somewhere. :o

"A comparitive study of Thai society with those of other countries in general constitutes an inappropriate approach to empirical and credible research. 

I believe this is the definition of "empirical and credible research."

Objective statistics comparing the Thais to other cultures are sometimes (maybe most times) unfavorable to Thailand. My suspicion is Thai's are already aware of their shortcomings and hope others don't notice. Objective reporting about Thailand will always meet with resistance,

Thailand is an oppressive country which wants to be seen otherwise, similarly The US is an aggressive country which wants to be seen otherwise.

Lying, denial, redefinition are their tools.