Non-thai Child With Thai Mother

Could you advise on requirements for a child with a British passport travelling with a Thai mother on Thai passport. The visit will be up to 3 months - the child will be 3 years old and the British father will be on a 2 or 3 month visitors visa. Thanks for any advice.

Child is subject to normal visa requirements if using UK Passport for entry into Thailand. There will not be any overstay fine imposed if stay exceeds that permitted on visa entry but I would obtain non immigrant single entry for child and yourself and they allows 90 days.

You can also go down the dual national route by applying for a Thai passport before departure. The child can then enter Thailand on that passport and not be subject to any immigration rules and with no limits on his/her stay.

• 3 months later...

Hi

We are heading out to thailand next week from uk ,My son was born uk ,Thai Mother ,can we get a Thai passport for my son in Thailand ,he is just passed 2 years old ,If so what documentation will we require to take

Hi

We are heading out to thailand next week from uk ,My son was born uk ,Thai Mother ,can we get a Thai passport for my son in Thailand ,he is just passed 2 years old ,If so what documentation will we require to take

Thailand now only issues ePassports. Apply for his new passport in Bangkok.

Hi

Thailand now only issues ePassports. Apply for his new passport in Bangkok.

Sorry,as this is not what you want to hear...

The Passport Office in BKK will probably back-heel it to the Royal Thai Embassy ,London (Passports & Visa Section )

:o Wiley Coyote

Edited by wileycoyote

Thai birth certificate, showing Thai parent?

Parent's (mother's) id card and household papers?

Apply in Bangkok.

PS the title is wrong.

With a Thai mother the child is Thai, + another nationality. :o

what is an epassport??? hubby just got new thai passport regular thing: took month to get it from application to receipt...overseas that is...

Bina

The epassport is the biometric passport, it looks the same as the regular passport except it has a back cover about 1mm thick as it contains biometric info on a chip. The front cover has a symbol bottom centre which the older passports didn't have.

The main visible difference is that it now has 50 pages as against 32 in the older passports and has no page to extend its validity beyond its 5 year life. (so can only assume it is not extendable).

This is the passport that's being issued in Bangkok and at Embassies in EU and maybe other places. In fact all passports are produced in Bangkok and returned to the relevant application point. Your husband would have had to apply in person at the Embassy and have his face and fingerprint digitally photographed to have received an epassport.