Mystery Of Missing Thai Silk King

Mid

Mystery of missing Thai Silk King

By Jonathan Kent

BBC News, Kuala Lumpur

_42719799_cottage203.jpg

Jim Thompson walked out of this cottage never to return

It was an Easter Sunday on 26 March 1967. At around 3pm that day Jim Thompson, already well known as the "Thai Silk King", walked out of Moonlight Cottage where he was holidaying with friends in Malaysia's Cameron Highlands and was never seen again.

interesting read , anyone have any anecdotes to add ?

Mystery of missing Thai Silk King

By Jonathan Kent

BBC News, Kuala Lumpur

_42719799_cottage203.jpg

Jim Thompson walked out of this cottage never to return

It was an Easter Sunday on 26 March 1967. At around 3pm that day Jim Thompson, already well known as the "Thai Silk King", walked out of Moonlight Cottage where he was holidaying with friends in Malaysia's Cameron Highlands and was never seen again.

interesting read , anyone have any anecdotes to add ?

I don't know how interesting an anecdote this is... but my family actually did a lot of business with Jim, way back when. One of our companies supplied Jim with raw silk. Jim would periodically come by and check out our stock, always laden with deserts and candy for the kids, do some quality control, etc. He also had a rather unique view on stray dog population control. If he found out that there was a batch of stray puppies recently born in the area... Jim would scoop them all up into a sack and euthanize them by putting the opening of the sack over the tailpipe of his car -which we ended up buying actually... a car made out of wood with pop out flags as turning signals-. Naturally this was beyond my time as I wasn't even born yet, but was related to me by aunts and uncles who were teenagers in his day.

:o

"Thompson" was actually an assumed name. His ethnic origins were actually Indian, and he did a runner from Malaysia to open a bespoke tailoring shop on Pattaya 2nd Rd; "Mr Jim Singh's Outfitters" which still thrives today. :o

"Thompson" was actually an assumed name. His ethnic origins were actually Indian, and he did a runner from Malaysia to open a bespoke tailoring shop on Pattaya 2nd Rd; "Mr Jim Singh's Outfitters" which still thrives today. :o

An assumed name? Where did you hear that? Are you sure you're talking about the same Jim Thompson?

jimthompsonao7.jpg

Birth & family info found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thompson_%28designer%29

Edited by AmeriThai

An assumed name? Where did you hear that? Are you sure you're talking about the same Jim Thonpson?

jimthompsonao7.jpg

Birth & family info found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thompson_%28designer%29

So now his name was Jim Thonpson then ?

Did you really not get the joke AmeriThai? :D

Did you really not get the joke AmeriThai? :D

THWAP! [slaps self on forehead]

LOL! Yep, that one went right over my head. Must be too early in the morning for me.

:D

I think he bought a bar in Pattaya :D

Nah, that was Terry Broom. :o

As far as I know, he got rid of his western slave name, and became a Thai citizen, but then switched to take Malaysian citizenship in order to capitalise on the retirement one home program, but they insisted he get rid of his Thai name, so he became

Vagina the short lesbian.

The most sinister thing about his disappearance is that his sister was murdered in the US not long after his diappearance, and that crime was never solved. Apparently they were very close, so it is possible that someone thought she might possess some info he might have entrusted to her.

cheers Jet ,

and thanxs to all who replied ,

looking for a 2nd hand copy GH

where's the car now Heng?? $$$$$$

Over at my cousin's house on Soi Ari. Sentimental value, probably won't wind up at Sotheby's or on eBay anytime soon.

:o

The most sinister thing about his disappearance is that his sister was murdered in the US not long after his diappearance, and that crime was never solved. Apparently they were very close, so it is possible that someone thought she might possess some info he might have entrusted to her.

Who was his sister?

Who was his sister?

Just that, his sister. She was murdered in her US home about 6 months after he disappeared. I don't think it was ever solved either.

Who was his sister?

Just that, his sister. She was murdered in her US home about 6 months after he disappeared. I don't think it was ever solved either.

Coincidence. There was a report on him on BBC World today here.

Who was his sister?

Jim Thompson was one of five children and he had more than one sister (don't know how many of them).

Here's more to the murder of said sister:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:w9vY_...t=clnk&cd=2

LaoPo

Who was his sister?

Jim Thompson was one of five children and he had more than one sister (don't know how many of them).

Here's more to the murder of said sister:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:w9vY_...t=clnk&cd=2

LaoPo

Although unknown, my first thought is that it may have been an unfortunate circumstance unrelated to Thompson's disappearance. Odd though, especially that it's unknown who was responsible for her death.