Bangkok / Phuket

Jimbo

I live and work in Phuket but now have the option of moving to Bangkok to work for another company at a somewhat better salary.

I have been only in BKK when absolutely necessairy and really only know the Sukhumvit area and not too much of the rest of BKK.

Is there anyone on the Forum who has lives and worked in both of these places and what did you prefer?

Any advise or pointers on the differences like cost of living etc would be greatly appreciated.

BKK seems very interesting, but I had a hard time with the airpollution. My eyes got infected, my nostrils were bleeding and headache was terrible, all of it within 2 days from arrival.

I never saw so much traffic stuck everywhere, going around kosts lots of time and at after half day it looks like you wearing the clothes of a miner. The filth is black and even your skin needs to be cleaned up with special care.

I would take Phuket. :o

note: my experience is from holiday, living there must be much worse!

wish you luck and wisdom

I've lived in both places............

but I like Phuket a bit more, if you get homesick for BKK just go to the airport and book a flight and come back after a couple of days.

But after more than 2 years now in HKT the(Thai) people are still a bit strange here in Phuket for me.

Gerd

My dilemma is that I think I will enjoy Phuket more but the job offer I got in BKK is good. Its definitely a good step for my career and money wise I will be earning more. Money is not everything but its the step up in my career that counts. On the other hand, quality of life counts as well.

I just want to know more about living in BKK as I dont want to be miserable there and I have to think about my wife.

Is there anyone on the Forum who has lives and worked in both of these places and what did you prefer?

I think only you can answer that question.

Do you like to live in a big city with all the advantages of a big city (education, healthcare, entertainement, ...) and all the disadvantages of the big city (pollution, traffic, many many people,...)?

Or do you like a more relaxed life with part of the advantages and part of the disadvantages?

I do not know, I lived in Phuket quite a lot but was always happy to go back to Bangkok.

I just get bored in Phuket.

But it is me, not you.

So, really, your choice,...

Bluecat you are absolutely right. It will defintely be my decission ( and my wife's offcourse) however it sure isnt easy.

I have been thinking about this for two weeks day and night and will have to make up my mind by monday. I am indeed fortunate enough to be able to be choose my place of employment as I am fully aware how difficult it is to find a job here. After living here and getting a network going you will get job offers.

Except for housing, is BKK more expensive to live then Phuket? Are there places to escape in BKK from all the hectic citylife?

What about Thai people from BKK? Are they nice compared with people from Isaan and the provinces around Phuket?

I earn around 60 K a month in Phuket. I can earn around 90 K a month in BKK and if I pass my 3 month probation I will earn 120 K a month (plus benefits like expense account, phone allowance, transport allowance, laptop etc etc

90 k in BKK compared with 60 k in Phuket, which is more?

90 k in BKK compared with 60 k in Phuket, which is more?

Of course 90k in Bkk is more.

Bkk is not more expensive than Phuket and can even be cheaper,...

Even for housing, if you do not plan to stay in the "expatriate" areas, whatever it means, you can find quite "cheap" places.

What is hectic city life?

Take your car and go to Dave's pub in Pattaya.

150 kms to go.

300 kms to come back. Difficult to come back in a straight line,...:o:D

But even in Bkk, many places are not that hectic if you do not want them to be.

Not more than Phuket, anyway. :D

Thanks Bluecat. There are few people who have shown me possitive sides to living in BKK.

I know Phuket has great beaches but to be honoust, I am so busy that I will only end up maybe once every 6 weeks on the beach. You might as well stay in Bangkok and drive to Huahin or Pattaya.

How is Dave's bar like?

By the way, can you live comfortably on 90 K for 2 people. ( minus 20% income tax offcourse)

I know Phuket has great beaches but to be honoust, I am so busy that I will only end up maybe once every 6 weeks on the beach. You might as well stay in Bangkok and drive to Huahin or Pattaya.

My point exactly, how often can you go to the beach?

And after some time, is it that appealling anymore?

Habits lead to boredom. Human nature,...

Anyway, on your other question, for two people you should be more than OK with 90K per month.

You will not live downtown Bkk but is a a problem?

Probably not.

And with the 120K to come, you will be king,... :o:D

For your last question, Dave's bar, I can't say, I do not remember ANYTHING when I went there,... :D

For your last question, Dave's bar, I can't say, I do not remember ANYTHING when I went there,... :o

LOL, that is like everytime I go out in Patong. I wake up in the morning and have no clue what happened the night before. My wife will end up telling me things like that I got into a fight with a ladyboy, mooned a TukTuk driver or bought rounds for everyone in the bar we sat plus surrounding bars. That certainly would explain my misserable bank ballance.

Do you know of any pet friendly places where we could live?

A baised opinion, i to used to live in Phuket, and loved it there! I now live in Nakon Sawan about 170 km north of BKK, and love it as well, but there is really nothing to do here, it depends on the type of person you are(and i susspect where you come from. I never lived in a city at home and dont really feel comfertable in one). I like to visit BKK it has everthing ( but I would never live there). I would think that you could live in the equivelent of the suburbs and have a quiet home within easy travelling distance of the centre.

As to living on 90k a month it also depends on what your asperations are but!! anyone who can not live on 90 k a month in thailand is doing something wrong.

Obviously these are my personnel opinions but you have to ask your self where will I be working, where can i stay that is within reasonable commuting distance, how an I going to commute that distance, what is my quality of life going to be.

Bkk is one of my faverate citys in the world, its vibrant and livley if you can live there good for you, just not my cup of tea.

I am suprised to hear that. Every apartment building, agent or people who placed ads in the paper told me no pets. I will keep trying through.

By the way, is it normal to pay first month and 2 months deposit. Here in Phuket its normally first month and one month deposit

By the way, is it normal to pay first month and 2 months deposit. Here in Phuket its normally first month and one month deposit

Yes, this is what they ask.

But everything is negotiable,...

But anyway, finding a place in Bkk without being in Bkk is not easy.

I mean if you want a "cheap" place.

So you should take your time.

Can't your employer help you?

Can't your employer help you?

Unfortunately their head office in in Phuket and they have asked me to head up their new office in BKK. They arent from BKK and they dont know too much about BKK.