Mob From Farmers's Debt Network Closes Off Government House

Jai Dee

Mob from Farmers's Debt Network closes off Government House

The Farmers’ Debt Network has closed off Government House, and demand that the government show sincerity in solving their debt and land problems.

Several thousand farmers nationwide gathered under the Farmer Debt Networkare and traveled to the Agriculture and Agricultural Ministry to block the Government House. The demonstration obstructed two traffic lanes, and caused severe traffic congestion on Phitsanulok (พิษณุโลก) Road.

The protest is the result of the Cabinet’s Jan 6th resolution mandating a deal in the selling of assets to the Farmer Restoration Development Fund.

The farmers announced that they will continue to block Government House until a Cabinet meeting today (March 27) provide them with a satisfied answer.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 March 2007

CNS meeting today focuses on measures to deal with farmer demonstrators

The Council for National Security Chairman (CNS) is holding a meeting of national security agencies today.

The Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS) Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin, called a meeting of national security units today (March 27th). The meeting's main agenda is aimed at discussing measures to deal with farmer demonstrators, especially those who are now gathering in front of the Government House.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet meeting today will discuss a demonstration held by executives of PTV satellite television station which is scheduled to take place on March 30th. The meeting will find measures to prevent chaos and violent situations created by people with ill-intentions.

The CNS Chairman has instructed the First Army Area Command to cooperate with the Metropolitan Police Bureau and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in monitoring demonstrations in Bangkok during this period.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 March 2007

s5_copy138.jpg

Farmers listen to a speaker as they sit outside the Agriculture Ministry in Bangkok yesterday. They want help to pay their debts and banks stopped from seizing their assets.

Source: The Nation - 27 March 2007

Mob from Farmers's Debt Network closes off Government House

The Farmers’ Debt Network has closed off Government House, and demand that the government show sincerity in solving their debt and land problems.

Now why didn't the blockade Government House when they were borrowing AND spending funds they couldn't repay?

:o

It was "Thaksin's money" then, wasn't it? He promised to take care of them, didn't he?

>>>>>

On the other hand, I won't be surprised if they borrowed money to invest in GOVERNMENT promoted projects. Maybe "one cow per family" is not among them but some "crop substitution" or "rubber saplings" could have been pushed on them by the government. It's only fair to demand responsibility when the government reverses its policies.

It was "Thaksin's money" then, wasn't it? He promised to take care of them, didn't he?

>>>>>

On the other hand, I won't be surprised if they borrowed money to invest in GOVERNMENT promoted projects. Maybe "one cow per family" is not among them but some "crop substitution" or "rubber saplings" could have been pushed on them by the government. It's only fair to demand responsibility when the government reverses its policies.

nah.

mostly it is debt that was rolled over free of charge when Taksin got in, then problems increased with the village fund 1m baht per village. This protest is like the French farmers/American cat fish farmers/Aussie shrimp farmers.

a fair few villagers in Isaan owe our finance company money and we have no hesitation in taking the titles; they were man enough to borrow, they should be man enough to take the consequences. <deleted> stupid people, especially when you consider the strength of commodity prices; only people that should get help are ones hit by drought, flood, tsunami etc.

Mind you we are nice enough to let them rent the place after we take it back; we have some heart.

I hate to sound unsympathetic but why are there thousands of farmers in debt? Why should the government bail them out? What plan did they tell the bank they would follow that convinced the bank that loaning them money would be a good idea?

Realistically speaking, lets say your a rice farmer. You only make so much money each growing season. You have so many bills each growing season. If the farmers borrowed the money, they should expect to make a profit enough to pay for the loan.

I can see why there would be some farmers who faced unforeseen difficulties and can't pay back the loan but thousands of farmers makes me think these are nothing more than welfare cases at best.

I wonder how many of these farmers drank their loan away or spent the money on their mia noi's and gigs.

For the ones who have legitimate problems, I feel sorry for them. For the rest, som nam nah. To get anymore help, they should justify how they spent their last loan (receipts and the like) and prove they didn't squander the money.

If not, take their land.

Well, we don't know exactly what these people's grievances are. It could be roll over from Thaksin's debt moratorium effect, or it could be those darned rubber saplings.

It could have been government policy to give them as much money as possible and they were "asked" to comply. It could have been "let's get a new mororcycle" loans.

My point is that farmers sometimes get shafted by the government. Maybe these bunch was, maybe wasn't.

The way Stevero described it, his company would be glad to enslave clueless farmers with loans they could not repay. The evil side of the banking business, I suppose.

lending money to people with a sub-grade 4 education. Not always a wise move.

It is a policy debate Thailand needs to have, but will never have of course. It is too lucrative, poltically and financially.

There will be one side of politics happy enough to buy off an electorate with cheap loans. Another side ready to exploit their suffering when they inevitably default. And there is always someone willing to repo their collateral for a few satang in the baht.

No doubt some political 'crusader' is paying them 100 baht a day to be in BKK (if they are lucky). My guess it is a pro-thaksin group supporting this mob. They have the gaul to pretend to represent the farmers after going around throwing around money, left, right and centre to them a couple of years ago.

I actually feel sorry for these poor blokes. Deer in headlights, pawns in bigger game.

No doubt some political 'crusader' is paying them 100 baht a day to be in BKK (if they are lucky). My guess it is a pro-thaksin group supporting this mob. They have the gaul to pretend to represent the farmers after going around throwing around money, left, right and centre to them a couple of years ago.

Well that is a newin, er, new one on me; people paying poor people to come into BKK to stir things up. Who would have thought??!

mr Newin chop chop.

I drove past them this morning on the way to a client site. Some were being taken away by the organisers, crammed into the back tray of a largeish truck.

Poor, tired people. Sad sight to see.

Things like this piss me off.

Steve, tell me oh wise one. How do I become a dara...get on telly and then run for parliament. I'm thinking of becoming PM....